Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen2 HPWC cable repair help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fiver

Apr 10, 2015
Utah
As I mentioned in the Gen3 thread, I recently replaced three near failing Gen2 Destination HPWC that were used outside in public. All three still worked fine, but had cable wear at the handles. We were uncomfortable leaving them out exposed to the elements with random people using them so they were replaced out of an abundance of caution. It was clear that eventually bad things could have happened given the type of wear. The worn units were given to me, and now I'm trying to figure out if they are salvageable.

The jackets have all pulled away from the handles. The wires themselves are in good shape except for the white ones. The thick red/black ones are obviously main power, the smaller rainbow colored ones are pilot and charge port opening wires, but the small white one doesn't seem to go anywhere. Inside the HPWC main unit side of things the white wire doesn't appear to be hooked to anything either. Anyone know what it is? The units were 100% functional except for the jacket wear.

I can't find any place that sells replacement Tesla cables. Found a few that sell J1772 cables (with handles) but they a few hundred bucks so I don't know if it's worth it for these. Might just sell the HPWC on eBay for parts.

IMG_8475.jpg

Given that they all work OK, I was debating mashing the jacket back up onto the handle as best I could and then getting some heavy duty electrical heat shrink tubing and just wrapping the heck out of the handles/cable.