Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hankook new iON tire, an "EV" tire (not the same as Kinergy GT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love the look of the Drag DR-83. Looking forward to your personal review of the Hankook tire. Could we trouble you for some extra pics?
For sure. The online Customer service agent Jeff and the local store manager Vincent were absolute gems to work with. They got everything settled out on the purchase, exchange of rims, tires, credits etc in the morning and all I had to do was show up in the afternoon.

Reactions: Discount Tire
Love the look of the Drag DR-83. Looking forward to your personal review of the Hankook tire. Could we trouble you for some extra pics?
Here is a picture of the Drag DR-83 18”x8.5” ET30 mounted with the brand new Hankook Ion Evo Summer tires. The second picture shows the effect of the new offset of 30 vs the standard 40.

IMG_9925.jpeg

IMG_9923.jpeg

This is the original rim with ET30 mounted with Hankook Kinergy GT tires
IMG_9924.jpeg

review started...

Well i plan on joining you all soon with these tires. Was sold the Defender 2s by Discount Tire…Not happy with them at all will be reaching out tomorrow to start the exchange/return process to the Ion Evo AS which I foolishly let the Rep steer me away from…

Just installed these (AS) a few days ago. Third set of tires on the car. The first two being MXM4 Primacys - T0, then T1 spec. Way smoother and less noisy than worn out MXM4s. (I was down to the wear bars in the rear.) Handling seems fine. They also seem very efficient. My lifetime efficiency is 241 wh/mile. So far with ~60 miles of mixed driving, like 221.

One negative - which may be temporary. A highway near here has grooved pavement, and the tires seem to wander a bit on it. I've noticed this with other new tires on other cars. It eventually goes away. Hoping the same will happen with the Hankooks.

Applied for the $120 rebate too.

Rebate approved.

Forgot to mention that at the tire store, mine was one of six (!) Teslas getting new shoes. There was also a Lucid in the lot with a totally trashed front tire. Very low profile tires on it, of course. So no surprise it got damaged.
The Lucid Air has tires with aspect ratio of 35, 40, or 45 (depending on 21", 20", or 19" wheels), which are the same aspect ratios as the Tesla Model 3 (depending on 20", 19", or 18" wheels).

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
There was also a Lucid in the lot with a totally trashed front tire. Very low profile tires on it, of course. So no surprise it got damaged.
The manufacturing trend towards enormous wheels and minuscule height tires is preposterous.

The Lucid is the new Buick. A very nice Buick. Lean into that with thick meaty tires. Real luxury is "not needing expensive tire replacements and wasting my time".

The upcoming Chevy Equinox EV will have only 21" on the upper trims. 21" on a soccer mom commuter?! WTF? 21" used to be for slammed SUVs aftermarket in Los Angeles! A Camry used to have 15" wheels, maybe 17" now with extra EV weight would be equivalent. C6 Corvette has 18" and 19".

And then yet over on the Truck side, they go the opposite way, they have no problem making small wheels and high fat tires with a ride that will eat up big holes. People actually like that and want that.

Only maybe a Porsche with serious drivers can use the big wheels and thin sport tires but everyone else should be riding on rubber, not metal.

Last edited:
The upcoming Chevy Equinox EV will have only 21" on the upper trims. 21" on a soccer mom commuter?! WTF? 21" used to be for slammed SUVs aftermarket in Los Angeles! A Camry used to have 15" wheels, maybe 17" now with extra EV weight would be equivalent.
Another example: the Hyundai Ioniq 6 SE trim comes with 18" wheels. However, if you want more stuff in the SEL or Limited trim, those only come with 20" wheels and a significantly lower EPA efficiency and range rating. Did they never realize that some people would be willing to pay for the SEL or Limited trim for more stuff, but want the 18" wheels for maximum range?

A 2024 Toyota Camry LE has 17" wheels, while the XSE trim has 19" wheels.

Reactions: chinney and DrChaos
The manufacturing trend towards enormous wheels and minuscule height tires is preposterous.

The Lucid is the new Buick. A very nice Buick. Lean into that with thick meaty tires. Real luxury is "not needing expensive tire replacements and wasting my time".

The upcoming Chevy Equinox EV will have only 21" on the upper trims. 21" on a soccer mom commuter?! WTF? 21" used to be for slammed SUVs aftermarket in Los Angeles! A Camry used to have 15" wheels, maybe 17" now with extra EV weight would be equivalent.

And then yet over on the Truck side, they go the opposite way, they have no problem making small wheels and high fat tires with a ride that will eat up big holes. People actually like that and want that.

Only maybe a Porsche with serious drivers can use the big wheels and thin sport tires but everyone else should be riding on rubber, not metal.
Agree entirely. I have made the same point on another thread, but the general response was that the low profile tires 'look cool'. I guess that is a matter of subjective taste, a taste that I do not share at all.

There is some basis for the claim that low profile tires improve handling, but that is not the necessarily the case in all situations and, in any event, Tesla vehicles handle just great on regular profile tires and most people don't drive in a way that it really makes a difference.

I also saw one claim that low profile tires improve energy efficiency, but that is the opposite of the what is true for Teslas, at least.

Reactions: enemji and DrChaos
I also saw one claim that low profile tires improve energy efficiency, but that is the opposite of the what is true for Teslas, at least.
Low profile tires, never improve efficiency unless they're with solid moon wheels.

I saw a study that tried to quantify this. The results were simple: more open area of wheel + tire, the less efficient aerodynamically.

So given a fixed outer diameter, and that tires are always closed, higher profile tires means less open area in the wheel unless it's a solid disc.

Rolling resistance also favors narrow high tires.

• Informative
Agree entirely. I have made the same point on another thread, but the general response was that the low profile tires 'look cool'. I guess that is a matter of subjective taste, a taste that I do not share at all.

There is some basis for the claim that low profile tires improve handling, but that is not the necessarily the case in all situations and, in any event, Tesla vehicles handle just great on regular profile tires and most people don't drive in a way that it really makes a difference.

bigger wheels. more metal. makes the wheel heavier.

• Informative
The Lucid Air has tires with aspect ratio of 35, 40, or 45 (depending on 21", 20", or 19" wheels), which are the same aspect ratios as the Tesla Model 3 (depending on 20", 19", or 18" wheels).

Which is why I went with the stock 18" aero wheels. Plus, as noted, more range is handy on road trips.

Looks like it had 21s on it:

Attachments

• lucid_wheel.png
    lucid_wheel.png
    269 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Just replaced my hankook kinergy gt on my 2022 m3lr. Had 44,800 miles and probably could have made it to 50k. Received 237wh in that timeframe from driving here in wisconsin. Just installed hankook ion evo, and the first ride is an eye opener. The ride is so much smoother and quiter than the kinergys ever were. Will get back with efficiencies after a few months. 2 thumbs up for hankook ion evo from this guy
How’s efficiency so far?

The upcoming Chevy Equinox EV will have only 21" on the upper trims. 21" on a soccer mom commuter?! WTF? 21" used to be for slammed SUVs aftermarket in Los Angeles! A Camry used to have 15" wheels, maybe 17" now with extra EV weight would be equivalent. C6 Corvette has 18" and 19".

My wife wants a new Equinox EV. She is not a high-performance type of driver. Her current Equinox is the high trim level Premier AWD, it has the optional 19” rather than the Premier’s standard 18” tires. Lower-level trims come with 17” tires.

But 19” is the smallest diameter that will be offered on any Equinox EV model. Completely unnecessary IMO. While the Equinox EV will have somewhat better acceleration performance than the current 1.5L turbo ICEr, the AWD EV will still have modest performance overall by EV standards.

I plan on ordering a set of 19” wheels and tires when I order her new car next year and selling the 21s to someone who either wants to look cool or curbs the snot out of their original 21s.

Reactions: DrChaos