Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone any experience with a Dylink Cast Pro to get Apple CarPlay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found this and saw some positive reviews on YouTube. Has anyone on here had any experience with them to get Apple CarPlay?

I experimented with a couple ones (Carlinkit).
They all work in the same way by creating a WiFi network the car has to connect to, and will emulate CarPlay through the car's browser.

It's an imperfect solution. You often get wifi disconnects, the BT bridge with your phone for connectivity is patchy too. You have extra steps at the start of every drive to connect.
But for me the biggest drawback is the screen real estate. CarPlay will cover everything so you won't be able to use Tesla navigation which is quite useful for superchargers. When you minimise the browser, CarPlay refresh will pause.

Personally, I've found it much better to use a standalone dash screen behind the wheel to add CarPlay, and have it as an always on secondary screen. Look up on aliexpress for a couple different options (hansshow, etc....)

BTW, the cast box you are linking to is outrageously overpriced and is on par with one of those secondary dash screens. A simple carlinkit to stream CarPlay to the browser should be around 60 quids max on aliexpress;

Reactions: andyorkney
Yep I have buyer’s remorse. The WiFi box that casts CarPlay to browser works, but is such a cluster I’ve given up using it. Should have bought standalone screen / instrument cluster version. TBH I have found that apart from missing Siri for voice commands, now that I have Audible, Spotify and Apple Music I’ve missed CarPlay less than I thought.