Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone repaired cooling louvers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
no, the error has also disappeared in the service menu.

My louver has already been changed 4 times. Every time after about 2 months the fedback error was back. When I looked in the service menu, this error always appeared for the first time when the vehicle had already been parked for hours.

I noticed today that my ventilation flap on the right side no longer works. I then put my hand in and pushed the ventilation flap a little into the closed position, during which it closed and the feedback error disappeared immediately and both flaps opened again on the supercharger. Is there any function in the Tesla Toolbox to change the opening angle of the ventilation flaps? It seems to me as if the right flap opens and closes too far.

I noticed today that my ventilation flap on the right side no longer works. I then put my hand in and pushed the ventilation flap a little into the closed position, during which it closed and the feedback error disappeared immediately and both flaps opened again on the supercharger. Is there any function in the Tesla Toolbox to change the opening angle of the ventilation flaps? It seems to me as if the right flap opens and closes too far.
I think there's no such possibility. But apart from the standard calibration procedure there's also another one called "Angle fix". That one might be helpful for you.

I might think if this issue that OP is describing will return then there might be possibility that the fins rotating axle have shifted one tooth on the actuator, hence the temporary manual assisting resolving the errors. Photo attached.

DBACDB94-9433-4274-A759-D1DEC9139CAB.jpeg

Reactions: ResHacker
I might think if this issue that OP is describing will return then there might be possibility that the fins rotating axle have shifted one tooth on the actuator, hence the temporary manual assisting resolving the errors. Photo attached.

View attachment 973983
The positioning doesn’t matter - all actuators turn every time you open the charge port or start the car to redetermine their ‘limits’. You can prove this by disconnecting then reconnecting - it will always move in the same direction

• Informative
Reactions: KalJoMoS
The positioning doesn’t matter - all actuators turn every time you open the charge port or start the car to redetermine their ‘limits’. You can prove this by disconnecting then reconnecting - it will always move in the same direction
But do we know this for a fact or just a generalized assumption because we physically see the shutters/louvers move? There does appear to be a feedback signal that reports errors to the alert screen in Service Mode. Is there a separate sensor that determines this feedback or is it integrated in the actuators?

It sure would be nice if Tesla or someone extremely knowledgable with Teslas would confirm how this system works. My service alerts have included:
THC_w0134_radRightShutrNoFeedbk
THC_d0018_activeAero

I can confirm that the shutters on the left and right side of our 11/13 built S85 do in fact open and close when starting the car, connecting to the car, and open while Supercharging. Using a FLIR One thermal imaging camera indicates a temperature range of 104-116F on the radiators behind the shutters.

Ever since the mid-2019 software updates, our Supercharging curve has been less ideal. Charging from 20-90% SOC takes twice as long as before and so I've switched to Supercharging between 10%-70% to save time. Over the last 3.5 years, the SOC + kW sum has been around 80-138. A curious thing happened while I was on a solo trip from Napa to Orange County, Ca. I stopped at an empty V2 Supercharger with 8% and the maximum charge rate was 74kW at Kettleman City (probably equipment issue). But my following stop in Tejon Ranch with 10% at an empty V2 hit a maximum charge of 134kW which I've never seen before. The SOC + kW sum was around 110-144. I was on my way in half the time I had expected. Unfortunately, it appears that was a one-off. I got to an empty V3 site with 11% and the max rate was 98kW and quickly dropped into the 70s. I ended up charging in Tustin for 1h50min. Not sure why Supercharging was so much faster at Tejon and I'm curious to know if the radiator alerts are related. I might have to have the Service Center take a look before my next roadtrip because that could be a gamechanger if 134kW can be my new normal. I was so thrilled that I took a picture in disbelief.

Attachments

• tempImage5xUaVT.png
    tempImage5xUaVT.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 76
But do we know this for a fact or just a generalized assumption because we physically see the shutters/louvers move? There does appear to be a feedback signal that reports errors to the alert screen in Service Mode. Is there a separate sensor that determines this feedback or is it integrated in the actuators?

It sure would be nice if Tesla or someone extremely knowledgable with Teslas would confirm how this system works. My service alerts have included:
THC_w0134_radRightShutrNoFeedbk
THC_d0018_activeAero

I can confirm that the shutters on the left and right side of our 11/13 built S85 do in fact open and close when starting the car, connecting to the car, and open while Supercharging. Using a FLIR One thermal imaging camera indicates a temperature range of 104-116F on the radiators behind the shutters.

Ever since the mid-2019 software updates, our Supercharging curve has been less ideal. Charging from 20-90% SOC takes twice as long as before and so I've switched to Supercharging between 10%-70% to save time. Over the last 3.5 years, the SOC + kW sum has been around 80-138. A curious thing happened while I was on a solo trip from Napa to Orange County, Ca. I stopped at an empty V2 Supercharger with 8% and the maximum charge rate was 74kW at Kettleman City (probably equipment issue). But my following stop in Tejon Ranch with 10% at an empty V2 hit a maximum charge of 134kW which I've never seen before. The SOC + kW sum was around 110-144. I was on my way in half the time I had expected. Unfortunately, it appears that was a one-off. I got to an empty V3 site with 11% and the max rate was 98kW and quickly dropped into the 70s. I ended up charging in Tustin for 1h50min. Not sure why Supercharging was so much faster at Tejon and I'm curious to know if the radiator alerts are related. I might have to have the Service Center take a look before my next roadtrip because that could be a gamechanger if 134kW can be my new normal. I was so thrilled that I took a picture in disbelief.
It’s fact insofar that it’s the behaviour I have seen on all four actuators with my own eyes. There would almost certainly be an index spline if the position was critical

Sorry, I had to translate it using Google Translate. My Louver has now been replaced 6 times by Tesla because the error THC_w0126 always reappeared after about a month. The Louver moves to the end position every time the vehicle is restarted; it does not need to be trained, which is defined by this pin. The pin is already sitting far too loosely in this passage. This causes the pin to twist in its opening. This means that the engine can drive the Louver much further than the old Louver used to do. I have now pushed a cable strap through the opening so that the cable strap eliminates the play in the opening and at the same time functions as an intermediate piece for the end stop. I once tried to make a video with a louver that was already broken, but I only had two hands. I think the error message THC_w0126 doesn't mean "no fedback" it means more "more motor movement as defined in the software" because the motor definitely moves too far in the "up position"

Last edited:
Sorry, I had to translate it using Google Translate. My Louver has now been replaced 6 times by Tesla because the error THC_w0126 always reappeared after about a month. The Louver moves to the end position every time the vehicle is restarted; it does not need to be trained, which is defined by this pin. The pin is already sitting far too loosely in this passage. This causes the pin to twist in its opening. This means that the engine can drive the Louver much further than the old Louver used to do. I have now pushed a cable strap through the opening so that the cable strap eliminates the play in the opening and at the same time functions as an intermediate piece for the end stop. I once tried to make a video with a louver that was already broken, but I only had two hands. I think the error message THC_w0126 doesn't mean "no fedback" it means more "more motor movement as defined in the software" because the motor definitely moves too far in the "up position"

This surely would be the reason for the ‘calibrate’ procedure in Toolbox?

In the post you linked, the pin on the wing broke off. For me it just opens up too far and thus creates the feedback error. I simply limited him in his path. This means that the flap no longer moves so far that it hits the bottom of the bumper. That's why the driver on the blade broke off in your linked post. I don't think there's anything that needs to be "learned". You can turn the motor as much as you want, it will re-reference itself every time up to the end stop, which is located on the shaft. On every vehicle.

Thanks for the clarification, mine was broken because someone before I purchased the car had the front bumper off and the louvers were not set right after installation so the fins/flaps were broken off the driver pin. I managed to fix this but it was short lived, the air pressure during everyday drive will eventually bend that fixture and it will not stay as should. Best is to find unbroken unit. It’s interesting that the fins/flaps have dedicated part numbers (each three of them) but they do not show up on the part catalogue.