Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have to reconnect my phone to Bluetooth every other day.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Noflash

Aug 11, 2020
Denver
Listings
In 10 months of ownership the car has only ever failed to let me in with my phone once, so it recognizes it as a key no problem. I primarily use Bluetooth as my media source and, on average, it doesn't automatically connect half the time. I click to connect and my phone is available and starred as the primary. I click to connect and it does. First world problem, but why doesn't it automatically connect every time? I cannot drive my Outback for months and it still automatically connects with no issues. This occasionally happens to my wife's phone in my car as well, though she drives it much less often than I. Both phones are Pixel 5. Car is 2022 MYLR, 12/2021 build I believe. Any solutions?

Though it is a little confusing as both phones are named "Pixel 5" and I haven't seen a way to rename them. That could be the issue.
Good hypothesis. To rename your phone's Bluetooth connection:
  • Settings > Connected devices (Bluetooth, pairing) > Connection preferences (Bluetooth, ...) > Bluetooth > Device Name
Recommendation: Use just alphanumerics and spaces in the name, e.g. "Noflash P5".

Don't use punctuation like "Noflash's P5" because a forum post hypothesizes that it makes the phone-key unreliable. That's hard to test but walk-up-unlock does seem to work more often since I changed that, although other things have been changing, too.

Another hypothesis: Your phone connects to some other Bluetooth device first. Maybe ear buds or another car?

Reactions: Noflash
  • Settings > Connected devices (Bluetooth, pairing) > Connection preferences (Bluetooth, ...) > Bluetooth > Device Name
Recommendation: Use just alphanumerics and spaces in the name, e.g. "Noflash P5".

Don't use punctuation like "Noflash's P5" because a forum post hypothesizes that it makes the phone-key unreliable. That's hard to test but walk-up-unlock does seem to work more often since I changed that, although other things have been changing, too.

Another hypothesis: Your phone connects to some other Bluetooth device first. Maybe ear buds or another car?
Thanks, I'll try this out. :)

Sadly, this did not work. It is easier to see which phone is connected to the car now. Thanks for that. Oh well - first world problem.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
Sadly, this did not work. It is easier to see which phone is connected to the car now.
Sigh. When it doesn't connect, is the phone or car connected to another Bluetooth audio device?

Other than the driver profile's audio "preferred Bluetooth device" which you've set (starred), I don't understand how Bluetooth prioritization works. E.g. when walking around, listening to a podcast on earbuds, then getting back in the car, the car tends to take over the phone's Bluetooth connection and continue playing. The other direction takes more steps.

Sigh. When it doesn't connect, is the phone or car connected to another Bluetooth audio device?

Other than the driver profile's audio "preferred Bluetooth device" which you've set (starred), I don't understand how Bluetooth prioritization works. E.g. when walking around, listening to a podcast on earbuds, then getting back in the car, the car tends to take over the phone's Bluetooth connection and continue playing. The other direction takes more steps.
It's not connected to another device when it fails. In the couple times a week that I get into the car with ear buds connected to my phone, the car has no problem stealing the connection.

It's not the end of the world, just annoying.

• Helpful
Fast forward almost a year, I have a different car, different phones, and this is still happening. So weird.

2023 MYP, Pixel Fold, iPhone 14 (wife's phone)

I'm not connected to any other Bluetooth, but my earbuds are new too.

Phone gets me in the car, but won't automatically connect to Bluetooth audio about half the time. Happens in different locations.

I have to select it from available bt devices.

Phone gets me in the car, but won't automatically connect to Bluetooth audio about half the time.
Bummer. OK, more hypotheses to test:
  • If you're using Easy Entry, make sure that both your regular and Easy Entry driver profiles have your phone starred as the "preferred Bluetooth device."
  • If that doesn't work, try temporarily starring your phone as "preferred" in your wife's driver profile as well.
  • Reduce the punctuation in your Contacts names since Contacts get sync'd when the phone connects. Common punctuation in names like . , ' - should be OK but try avoiding extended punctuation: “ ‘ ” ’ " ; * ( ) [ ] { } Æ and such. (Or try disabling Contacts sync. I forgot if that's an option.)
    I adopted this technique from a TMC recommendation but it's hard to do a controlled experiment since the problem is intermittent. If this technique helps, I'd bet it's a SQL quoting bug, which implies an opening for a SQL injection attack.

Reactions: Krash and Noflash
Bummer. OK, more hypotheses to test:
  • If you're using Easy Entry, make sure that both your regular and Easy Entry driver profiles have your phone starred as the "preferred Bluetooth device."
  • If that doesn't work, try temporarily starring your phone as "preferred" in your wife's driver profile as well.
  • Reduce the punctuation in your Contacts names since Contacts get sync'd when the phone connects. Common punctuation in names like . , ' - should be OK but try avoiding extended punctuation: “ ‘ ” ’ " ; * ( ) [ ] { } Æ and such. (Or try disabling Contacts sync. I forgot if that's an option.)
    I adopted this technique from a TMC recommendation but it's hard to do a controlled experiment since the problem is intermittent. If this technique helps, I'd bet it's a SQL quoting bug, which implies an opening for a SQL injection attack.
Not using Easy Entry, but I will definitely try the other tips. Thanks!

Resurrecting this in case anyone else could possibly have this silly issue.

I finally had Tesla look at this when I had the car in for an annoying seat squeak. I have suspected for awhile that this issue must be behavioral since I've had the issue over two different cars with two different phones. I was trying to think of my order of operations, but I couldn't figure it out until Tesla helped me.

From service notes:
Concern: Customer states: Something Else - Also, while the phone always works as a key, it doesn't
connect to Bluetooth audio about 50% of the time. This also happened on my 2022 MY and also with
a different phone. I have to go into Bluetooth settings where the phone appears as device and select
the connect button.

Repair Notes: Verified customer concern. Found evidence of seat occupancy sensor toggling each
time the manual bluetooth connection had to be enabled. Tested with known good phone and did not
experience the same issue. The seat occupancy sensor is working as expected. However, it has a
minimum weight requirement to maintain engagement that is likely not being met. The vehicle is
operating as expected.

Correction: On Site – Education

LOL. So every time I get in the drivers seat, I immediately perform a lift-butt-out-seat-to undo-wedgie-and/or-rearrange-package maneuver. If I do this when the car is looking for a driver to connect audio Bluetooth to, it misses me and doesn't connect. I never would have guessed this in a million years. So now I mostly remember to plop into the seat and watch the audio display the most recent thing that was playing on my phone. THEN I adjust. When I remember to wait the BT connects. A couple times I have forgotten and it didn't connect. If Spotify was the last thing playing in the car I don't have a visual indicator, so I have to wing it. I presume I will get used to this, but it is unintuitive. I like to get going and put the car in Drive while I'm adjusting, putting the seatbelt on and putting my phone in the cradle (okay maybe not all at once). Still, it's a first world problem and I should be able to get used to it. Though it would be nice if the car would look for me a hair longer. LOL. This seems so crazy.

P.S. To add insult to injury the service center tried to charge me $21 and change for the "education". They didn't put up much of a fight when I said they must be joking. 😂

• Helpful
So every time I get in the drivers seat, I immediately perform a lift-butt-out-seat-to undo-wedgie-and/or-rearrange-package maneuver. If I do this when the car is looking for a driver to connect audio Bluetooth to, it misses me and doesn't connect.
This is useful to post for other drivers with Bluetooth problems and for engineers to think about the range of usage patterns to consider and test.

If I understand "rearrange package," have you tried briefs or boxer briefs instead of boxer shorts?

• Funny
Reactions: Noflash
This is useful to post for other drivers with Bluetooth problems and for engineers to think about the range of usage patterns to consider and test.

If I understand "rearrange package," have you tried briefs or boxer briefs instead of boxer shorts?
I'm 6'2", 210, 36" waist. The seat bottom is a bit skinny and compresses everything, so I have to lift it all above my legs. Lol - hope this isn't too graphic.

• Funny