Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have your watts per mile dropped due to service/update lately?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Snerruc

Unqualified Doofus
Apr 16, 2016
Palm Bay
My S75 was serviced by mobile service to do the brake recall and other minor items lately. Since then my watts per mile around town have dropped significantly. There is a trip I make once a month that shows the same or more. I checked and at 70 I am now using about 270-275 watts per mile while it used to be 300-310. All on the same road at same time of day/ traffic. Everything else about the car appears to be the same. Not weather related. Not wind related. I considered that. Personally, I have never heard of a S getting in this range at 70, unless the person averaging 248 for 100,000 mi is getting that.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
My S75 was serviced by mobile service to do the brake recall and other minor items lately. Since then my watts per mile around town have dropped significantly. There is a trip I make once a month that shows the same or more. I checked and at 70 I am now using about 270-275 watts per mile while it used to be 300-310. All on the same road at same time of day/ traffic. Everything else about the car appears to be the same. Not weather related. Not wind related. I considered that. Personally, I have never heard of a S getting in this range at 70, unless the person averaging 248 for 100,000 mi is getting that.

Interesting - perhaps the brake recall addressed some seized calipers! That would affect your consumption figures. Also could they have pumped up your tires with more air?

Interesting - perhaps the brake recall addressed some seized calipers! That would affect your consumption figures. Also could they have pumped up your tires with more air?
Tires are at 45 lbs. parking brake was a recall over defective part. Based on what I’ve read on this site, 300 to 310 watts per mile was already pretty good so I don’t think the parking brake was dragging. All work. Was done in my garage. Here they have a Thursday route in my area and you just have them put you on the list. No need to go to service center in Orlando unless it is major. Cool system. When the battery is at 100%, the energy graph is currently showing estimated range around 290 miles. No this is not ideal range. It is what is estimated from current usage. Actual trips agree with it.

Sorry to nitpick but watts and watt-hours are two completely different things. The car shows watt-hours per mile.

In my early 2013 RWD S85, I quite regularly see numbers below 300 Wh/mi in the (Canadian) summer. Your 200-275 number would certainly be in the ballpark. Now in the winter we're currently having, it's a completely different thing o_O

Sorry to nitpick but watts and watt-hours are two completely different things. The car shows watt-hours per mile.

In my early 2013 RWD S85, I quite regularly see numbers below 300 Wh/mi in the (Canadian) summer. Your 200-275 number would certainly be in the ballpark. Now in the winter we're currently having, it's a completely different thing o_O
Well, all I can say is my battery is currently delivering about 300 miles per full charge which Is better than a 90 pack and 50 more than when new. I’m a happy camper. I drove a 200 mile trip that usually leaves me with 25-35 left and causes me to be conservative. This time I drove 5 miles over the limit and came in with 70 miles left.

Well, all I can say is my battery is currently delivering about 300 miles per full charge which Is better than a 90 pack and 50 more than when new. I’m a happy camper. I drove a 200 mile trip that usually leaves me with 25-35 left and causes me to be conservative. This time I drove 5 miles over the limit and came in with 70 miles left.

The nominal capacity graphs are an average. If you look at the scatter plots, you will see some people endure worse performance (even on mile 1) while some enjoy better performance. You seem to be on the lucky side of the bell distribution. I have also noticed some batteries do get better over time but the overall trend will be a degradation over time however insignificant.

The BMS on this vehicle is quite amazing - all the intelligence is built into it so that we as owners can just enjoy the ride.