Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide Model Y performance or Model 3 performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a 2019 model 3 which I love and while I would prefer to get 1 more year of life out of it I am not sure the federal and state rebates will be around in 2025 so think I will pull the trigger either in June or Sept of this year on a new Tesla.
Torn between the Model 3 or the Model Y. Would go with the performance version either way.
Currently have the LR 3 but paid for the $2K acceleration boost.
Y performance would probably give me similar acceleration to what I already have which I enjoy on occasion. The 3 the federal rebate is a main reason why I would only consider the Performance 3 currently.

Am I only the one who does not like the new headlights / front end of the 3? I love the "Porsche" look of the old headlights, always thought the cars flaw look wise was it's bubble shape on the sides and back not the front end. The new front end headlights scream more Honda than Porsche.

Y:
The extra space for hauling stuff would be helpful at times and before my 3 was an SUV driver many cars over so quite used to a higher road position. A little more backside seat room would also be a bonus. Comes with all seasons which I prefer.
On the new 3P I don't like that the car comes with summer tires and the staggered wider back. Living in MA I have always been fine all year with all seasons but now have to swap out the summer tires. Another expense ; they all add up.

3:
Of course the new 3P should be crazy fast and would really appreciate the cooled seats, the cabin lights look cool, sound system upgrade would be awesome and the screen in the back would be great to have. Plus the improved soundproofing ; all around the improvements seem very nice and I am sure there are others much more important to some I am not listing.

Pricing is similar between the 2 right now and both qualify for state and federal rebates for me.
Assuming they start offering discounts on the Y at end of quarter in June and/or Sept (like I saw in March) I think the Y represents a great value and could be a decent amount less than the 3 - plus the tire cost in year 1 if I go with the 3.
Is buying the Y in the last year before it's refresh a bad idea for future resale value though?

I would trade in my 2019 and finance the balance (the bad thing about doing this in 2024 is the high interest rates)
If I waited until 2025 I could go with the remodeled Y I assume but will those federal and state rebates be around??? Seems risky to take that chance.

Between my 3P and YP i prefer the Y.

Never in my life was a crossover/suv person, but i dont hate the higher seating position of the Y. Actually the 3 feels oddly low now.

Acceleration feels sufficient on the YP (but unsatisfactory on YLR!) compared to 3P; and the general dynamic characteristics are similar for most of driving. You dont feel the extra weight until 8/10 or so, when the car rolls more and pushes earlier.

The taller trunk is more useful for airport runs and the 3-way seats in the rear (has multiple stages of decline) is better for passengers.

I feel like the increased utility outweights any marginal loss in perceived/realized fun and performance.

As far as the NEW 3, I really like the rear end, but prefer the old front end. The rear screen feels useless because who wants to stare downwards to watch something. Just seems like something for kids to kick.

Your ultimate decision is down to factors that has nothing to do with Performance b/t these two cars. Maybe weight is a consideration.
The question is do you need the space vs not and Gen 1 design vs. refreshed.

Y is much more practical. 3 is more sporty. If you've got elderly or anyone with a bad back. avoid the 3 as it's just too difficult to get into and out of. The trunk on the 3 really limits capacity compared to the hatch on the Y. Range and efficiency are a bit better on the 3. 3 looks better in my opinion. I'm completely satisfied with my MYP.

@mreynolds767

Before I bought my 2024 MYP in the March fire sale, I extensively test drove the M3LR, MYLR, and MYP. Two things stood out to me as the key differentiators.

1. Comfort: The M3 feels like you're sitting in a go-kart. The seating position is very low and at 6' I felt long commutes might become tiresome. The MYP for me was easy to get in and out, and the seating position is very comfortable as expected since it's a CUV.

2. Driving Dynamics: Below 65 mph both the M3 & MYP feel very similar in handling and confidence, but once I began to cross 65 mph the MYP begins to have more side-to-side body roll and feels less confident especially if lane changing or lane curving. The faster I go in the MYP the less confident it feels especially over 75mph. Windy days exaggerate the issue. I'm not surprised by this feeling since its a taller vehicle. Don't get me wrong, below 75mph the MYP is comfortable, but there is a noticeable difference in the drive dynamics between and M3LR and the MYP and the new M3P will surely be more noticeable with its new dynamic suspension. I'm not comfortable/confident to push a MYP beyond 80MPH other than in a straight line on a non-windy day. One day I may get comfortable with the body rolling, but it's significantly more felt than on a M3LR reducing confidence.

It's possible you may see a $5K difference between the M3P & MYP at the end of the quarter if Elon does another fire sale. You should extensively test drive the M3P or M3LR if you can't find a M3P versus a MYP to experience the difference in driving dynamics first hand. I don't drive fast, usually under 75mph, nor street race so the dynamics was not a deal breaker for me and the more relaxed comfort of the MYP seating position sealed the decision on MYP in combination with picking up an Ultra Red for $49600 before tax credit :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Spivas
They are both great choices. I drove a Model 3 for five years and just switched to an MYP last month when they had their crazy discounts. $39.5K for a black MYP with free FSD transfer and 5K SC miles. Pretty tough deal to beat. Looks like the M3P will be about $7K more, which buys you the newer generation Highland design but gives you a much smaller car overall. So it really just comes down to what’s more important to you.

I do think the all season tires on the MYP is a big advantage though, especially in the Northeast where you will otherwise have to have a second set of tires or swap them out for all seasons.

Reactions: Kuroshio
Also drove a 2019 Model 3 for five years and truly loved it but due to my family situation over the past few years just found myself needing more space for roadtrips, shopping, frequent family airport runs, going out with family and dog and things like that. I ordered and picked up a 2024 black Model YP in March. I don't regret it and would order the same spec again.

The extra space is noticeable especially with the utility of the hatch. It rides firm and sporty but handles so nice, and just rips. The taller stance makes ingress and egress is so much nicer and better for my back. Not as performance focused as the amazing Model 3P but the Model YP has been an ideal family-enthusiast all arounder and we are really enjoying it!

Attachments

• IMG_8599.jpg
    IMG_8599.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: Spivas
I purchased end of March 24 during the fire sale. I haven’t owned a 3, but I’m very happy with the new YLR. I test drove both the YLR and YP. The YP was really fast, savagely fast. The YLR is still faster than the majority of the cars on the road, I can’t agree with @holmgang that it’s insufficient. I went LR because the roads in MA suck and I didn’t want the 21” wheels wrapped in rubber bands nor the lower ride height. I knew if I bought the YP I’d be spending more money on 18” wheels and possibly changing the coilovers for more comfort. With my already paid for home solar I was buying the Tesla to save money, not spend a bunch modding the car.

I test drove both the YLR and YP. The YP was really fast, savagely fast. The YLR is still faster than the majority of the cars on the road, I can’t agree with @holmgang that it’s insufficient.
It depends what you are accustomed to. Below highway speeds, theres a deficit. Particularly the LR accelerator seems like its (artificially) dulled for the first 500ms of response. (Car seems to "roll" into its acceleration, whereas the P "jumps"). I drove 3P for years and that immediacy is I enjoyed the car the most.

At highway speeds and in overall terms these are rapid cars.

Need to carry some stuff? No brainer, get the Y.

I have driven quite a number of fast cars, and the fact the a plain old MYLR is quicker but can carry serious amounts of stuff is astounding enough for me. One MYLR on its way proper as of today.

If you haven't driven a 0 to 60 6 second ICE car you probably have no business getting into a performance model. Those things have press and go tear the tyres up levels of get gone available at any speed you happen to be doing. Take it easy eh!

Reactions: olsookie
I purchased end of March 24 during the fire sale. I haven’t owned a 3, but I’m very happy with the new YLR. I test drove both the YLR and YP. The YP was really fast, savagely fast. The YLR is still faster than the majority of the cars on the road, I can’t agree with @holmgang that it’s insufficient. I went LR because the roads in MA suck and I didn’t want the 21” wheels wrapped in rubber bands nor the lower ride height. I knew if I bought the YP I’d be spending more money on 18” wheels and possibly changing the coilovers for more comfort. With my already paid for home solar I was buying the Tesla to save money, not spend a bunch modding the car.
I made a post earlier in the main Y forum asking why Tesla doesn't offer a non-stagger 19" rim and tire package like the LRs do? TSportline's TSA 19s package is $3700 with taxes and shipping and that's based off of the least expensive tire brand.

That's an insane thing to even have to consider as soon as taking delivery of a YP or M3P. Plus, most people willing to buy a brand new set of 21" Ubers and tires that came off a brand new car, don't want to pay anywhere near $2000. So selling those won't pay for 3rd party replacements.

If Tesla offered non-staggered 19s or 20s and even charged $2000 for them at the time of purchase, I'd do it. I know they don't support it because of the speed rating or something but there's gotta be a tire out there that can handle 155mph rating.

Test drove a Y performance today and think I will be going that route.
I like being a little higher up and more cargo space and easier access to said space I know will come in handy often.

I thought the Y performance drove similarly to my 3LR with acceleration boost. Not quite as nimble and actually a little more tame under normal pedal driving pressure. Had to press harder on the pedal to floor the Y ; then it took off as impressively or maybe even more so than my 3.
Hard to explain the difference in feel ; 3 feels quicker but at times the Y felt like it had more power.
Both were fast enough to be enjoyable and to get you in trouble quickly.

My main point of the test drive was to see if the YP felt quick enough to retain the fun of driving ; and it passed that test for me.
If I can keep the driving enjoyment and get more space - I think that meets my needs best.

The one thing that stood out is how terrible the visibility is out the back when driving on the Y - but since Telsa has the camera on turn signal and screen showing the sides it did not turn me off. A couple of years ago when the cars did not have those updates it would have.

Would definitely prefer a non-staggered tire arrangement and even the 20's instead of 21's but unfortunately we don't have that option.

All things being equal I would probably opt for the new 3P but the Y is a better value right now given the different incentives, state and federal rebates, etc...
I learned just recently that the 3P does not qualify for the MA State $3500 rebate which was a big factor in my decision ; I assumed it did because the YP does.
The LR3 does not qualify for the federal $7500 which I was of course aware of.

Did sit in the new 3 ; inside the cabin definitely does feel more premium.

Reactions: holmgang
The Y with its current rebates and financing rates is quite possibly the cheapest Tesla now. Crazy!

If you are ok with the possibility of Juniper Y upgrade in relation to current outgoing Y. A model 3 cannot compete in space criteria anymore than a 3-series to an X3 or a 911 to a Cayenne. Different design targets.

My main point of the test drive was to see if the YP felt quick enough to retain the fun of driving ; and it passed that test for me.
If I can keep the driving enjoyment and get more space - I think that meets my needs best.

The one thing that stood out is how terrible the visibility is out the back when driving on the Y - but since Telsa has the camera on turn signal and screen showing the sides it did not turn me off. A couple of years ago when the cars did not have those updates it would have.

I have the camera button set as a permanent shortcut on the menu. Always can press at it to get a view behind the car.

The way I like to think of the Y is that it doesnt give up any of the 3’s general handling characteristics/behavior. It only trades off the last 10% of dynamic performance in exchange for 50% more usability.

Reactions: mreynolds767
The Y with its current rebates and financing rates is quite possibly the cheapest Tesla now. Crazy!

If you are ok with the possibility of Juniper Y upgrade in relation to current outgoing Y. A model 3 cannot compete in space criteria anymore than a 3-series to an X3 or a 911 to a Cayenne. Different design targets.
We decided this morning to sell our 2022 M3LR and get the 2024 Model Y. We weighed the improvements of the M3 Refresh over ours as a gauge to what the Model Ys will bring and just don't want to wait. We have zero issues with ours now and weren't bothered by the launch of the new 3s and are only doing this to gain space and ride height for our old butts.

Plus, we know Tesla prices fluctuate but I'm pretty confident we're buying in near the bottom of its pricing value so we probably won't be kicking ourselves too hard for re-sale. We're experiencing trying to sell "the old" Model 3 version right now during the release of Highland so we know the struggles of a lot of people doing the same. Tesla and Carvana are offering decent values for ours so it'll be the same if we do this again in two years. And no, fleasing is not an option as we may keep it longer.

Look, we're doing this almost exactly two years from the date of purchase (June, 2022) so who knows, if we're willing to take another depreciation bath and can't live without the new improvements, maybe we'll get Juniper in a couple years once the delivery dust settles. Who knows.

Last edited: