Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland suspension on 2019 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finished installing highland springs and dampers to my ’22 M3 LR. It has been over a month since I test drove a highland so my memory might not be accurate, but the improvementfrom stock is huge. Swallows larger bumps much better and does not have any jerkiness over smaller imperfections. It still has suspension ‘sound’ eg when there is a bump you can still hear suspension ‘thumps’ when it rebounds. This might improve over next weeks as the car is noticeably higher than before, new springs need to settle. I would say this upgrade gives 90% of the highland suspension.

I previously tried KONI Active frequency dampers with original springs. I would say it was mostly as harsh as original. There might have been a defect in the front KONI dampers, in 2000-3000km they developed a clunk and I retorqued everything with no improvement. Switched back to original dampers and clunk was gone.

Part numbers for highland suspension:
1344362-00-D Front Left Spring and Damper assembly (185€)
1344362-01-D Front Right Spring and Damper assembly (185€)
1344462-00-D Rear Damper (140€/piece)
1344472-00-B Rear Spring (120€(piece)

I just finished installing highland springs and dampers to my ’22 M3 LR. It has been over a month since I test drove a highland so my memory might not be accurate, but the improvementfrom stock is huge. Swallows larger bumps much better and does not have any jerkiness over smaller imperfections. It still has suspension ‘sound’ eg when there is a bump you can still hear suspension ‘thumps’ when it rebounds. This might improve over next weeks as the car is noticeably higher than before, new springs need to settle. I would say this upgrade gives 90% of the highland suspension.

I previously tried KONI Active frequency dampers with original springs. I would say it was mostly as harsh as original. There might have been a defect in the front KONI dampers, in 2000-3000km they developed a clunk and I retorqued everything with no improvement. Switched back to original dampers and clunk was gone.

Interesting. Can you measure ride height now so we can all see how it compares?
This method, so we all use the same reference.
RIDE HEIGHT.jpg

Reactions: enemji
Thanks for the feedback.
I just looked at the parts catalog, they only seem to have the DUAL MOTOR rear damper, and no damper for RWD.
But I guess that they probably use the same dampers, with different springs, as all cars now have similar weight.
I'm wondering, are the new springs really needed or would new dampers alone be enough?

Purrffect! This is great report out

Thanks for the feedback.
I just looked at the parts catalog, they only seem to have the DUAL MOTOR rear damper, and no damper for RWD.
But I guess that they probably use the same dampers, with different springs, as all cars now have similar weight.
I'm wondering, are the new springs really needed or would new dampers alone be enough?

Highland DM and rear drive have similar weight, DM is only 63kg heavier. So maybe the difference is so small that they can get away with same dampers? Front dampers might also be the same, but as they are sold as a assembly, it’s hard to know. Maybe only the springs differ?

There's still no damping related to the Performance Highland on Tesla Catalog. Perhaps the adaptive suspension dynamic adjustment announced is done via a mechanism in the new chassis ? Couldn't find any information still on the web for that despite all Perf reviews out there
1714482904030.png
1714482937904.png

There's still no damping related to the Performance Highland on Tesla Catalog. Perhaps the adaptive suspension dynamic adjustment announced is done via a mechanism in the new chassis ? Couldn't find any information still on the web for that despite all Perf reviews out thereView attachment 1043094View attachment 1043095
They probably won’t update the catalog until a few cars are on the road

It's on Tesla website and most of the reviews with an exploded view. The cast aluminum knuckle is different too. Shorter level at the steering arm mount. Not sure on any other modifications, but I bet they changed it slightly in other ways from the LR.
View attachment 1043099
View attachment 1043100
Excellent, excellent piece of info. That should help a lot to all, myself included, considering the hardware suspension upgrades.

Reactions: fobo and Guod

I currently have Konis FSD on my 19 Model 3 performance with OEM springs. Did you have the clicking noise / clunk noise over small bumps? I’m having this same issue and not sure why and where it’s coming from? I’m hoping it’s not the shocks themselves.

I currently have Konis FSD on my 19 Model 3 performance with OEM springs. Did you have the clicking noise / clunk noise over small bumps? I’m having this same issue and not sure why and where it’s coming from? I’m hoping it’s not the shocks themselves.
Yes, the clunking noise was over small bumps/imperfections in the road.
Similar to the noise that stabilizer end links do when they are worn out.

As I wrote earlier, I disassembled everything, retorqued everything to factroy spec, but the noise remained. Then I reinstalled factory shocks and the noise was gone. I checked Koni shocks on the ground and they had about 2-3 cm of no resistance travel when decompressed.

• Informative
Reactions: Tethlaaaa and GOVA