Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do the dual motor work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could anyone explain how the Tesla dual motor work? Do they work like the All-Wheels drive on the ICE car or the 4x4 truck?
I know each motor is coupling to the differential gear box but I am not sure if the Tesla software monitors the speed of each wheel so it can shift the power to the wheel that needs traction. Thank you in advance for your help.

Could anyone explain how the Tesla dual motor work? Do they work like the All-Wheels drive on the ICE car or the 4x4 truck?
I know each motor is coupling to the differential gear box but I am not sure if the Tesla software monitors the speed of each wheel so it can shift the power to the wheel that needs traction. Thank you in advance for your help.
You got it right.

ICE has 1 engine that drives 2 sets of tires.

Currnt Tesla AWD has 2 separate front/back motors that move one set of axles each. The software would coordinate how the axles would work together to give you a smooth ride.

In the future, Tesla will have a tri-motor version too.

Some other brands have 4 motors for each of the 4 tires.

Reactions: nghiaho58
I don't think there are many companies making Quad-Motor EVs (one motor for each tire).

Rivian is one of them:

"All-wheel drive is standard on the 2022 R1T but it uses a different arrangement than the Tesla Model X: Each wheel of the Rivian is powered by its own electric motor."

From Rivian site:

"What is Quad-Motor Drive?​

Four motors deliver instant power and independently adjust torque at each wheel for precise traction control in all conditions. Controlling power at the individual wheel enables torque vectoring, the ability to neutralize oversteer and understeer to keep your vehicle steady and responsive through sharp maneuvers while off-roading and in the snow. Quad-motors offer substantially better torque control than locking differentials while also being instantly adjustable for on-road performance."

@nghiaho58 Front and rear motors operate independently, there is no driveshaft coupling front and rear like in ICE AWD.

The dual motor Model 3 and Y feel very rear-biased to me in typical part-throttle power delivery. I believe that's very intentional. The rear motor is permanent magnet, the front is induction. When only partial power is requested, it's most efficient to use only the rear motor.

Full power e.g. flooring it in a straight line requires both motors. Though the rear motor is more powerful than the front.

As for side-to-side torque vectoring, no, the Model 3 and Y don't have that at all. Each motor i.e. "drive unit" has a normal open differential inside. Not even a limited slip diff (LSD). I believe these cars have some basic form of brake-based limited slip, but it doesn't work anywhere near as well as a good mechanical LSD.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure any worthwhile form of LSD would be a significant efficiency hit on an EV. It's for good reason that no EV has ever come with one (to my knowledge). The better way for an EV is per-wheel motors like the replies above are talking about. That is the future for EV torque vectoring and avoiding open diff slippage. The software programming will be key I think. If it's good, it should be better than any mechanical differential on an ICE car.

Last edited:
@nghiaho58 Also, I can tell you that on pavement (dry and wet) the Model 3 Performance has very good traction for a car having open diffs. Way better than the majority of ICE AWD drivetrains out there.

It's not as good as the best sporty ICE AWD systems with 3 limited slip diffs (front, center, and rear), like a Subaru WRX STI or Mitsubishi Evo, but you have to be really pushing the car hard to notice the difference. When I'm aggressively powering out of a hairpin I'll sometimes get a little inside wheel spin that I probably wouldn't in an STI, especially if there's dirt/debris on the road. Most of the time the M3P has very good traction though.

I haven't driven my M3P in the snow or ice at all. My guess is the open diffs will be more apparent there.

Reactions: pnwadventures
Lastly I believe the car does react to front vs rear wheelspin and adjust torque delivery as needed. For example if it's mostly using the rear motor and the rear wheels slip, it'll start using the front motor more automatically. People who have driven theirs in real winter weather can probably attest more to this than I can.

Yes, I've driven mine in snow/ice etc and I do believe the car adjusts front-rear bias as wheels slip. It also adjust regen usage, doing more regen in the front when necessary, after it detects rear regen slip for example. It is rear-biased as you say, until some slippage occurs. As far as left-right, it's difficult to say by seat of the pants because traction and stability controls lower the power when wheels slip. There's never much wheel slipping. The car might apply brakes to redistribute torque left-right but I cannot say that I've felt it with certainty.

You got it right.

ICE has 1 engine that drives 2 sets of tires.

Currnt Tesla AWD has 2 separate front/back motors that move one set of axles each. The software would coordinate how the axles would work together to give you a smooth ride.

In the future, Tesla will have a tri-motor version too.

Some other brands have 4 motors for each of the 4 tires.
The "plaid" already has three motors. One model Y rear motor powers each of the rear wheels and one model Y rear motor powers the front wheels through a differential. It will use differential braking up front to control wheel spin.

The "plaid" already has three motors. One model Y rear motor powers each of the rear wheels and one model Y rear motor powers the front wheels through a differential. It will use differential braking up front to control wheel spin.
Lastly I believe the car does react to front vs rear wheelspin and adjust torque delivery as needed. For example if it's mostly using the rear motor and the rear wheels slip, it'll start using the front motor more automatically. People who have driven theirs in real winter weather can probably attest more to this than I can.
So this means that when you drive slowly straight ahed, only the rear motor works?

Tesla's dual motor system is fundamentally different from the mechanical all-wheel drive (AWD) systems found in internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles.
ICE AWD Systems:
  • Single Power Source: These systems typically have a single engine powering all four wheels through a complex network of driveshafts, differentials, and transfer cases.
  • Mechanical Power Distribution: The distribution of power between the front and rear wheels is often fixed or adjusted mechanically through limited-slip differentials or other mechanisms.
  • Efficiency Losses: The mechanical nature of these systems leads to energy losses due to friction and the weight of the components.
Tesla Dual Motor System:
  • Independent Motors: Each axle has its own dedicated electric motor, allowing for independent control of torque (rotational force) and power delivery to each wheel.
  • Digital Control: A sophisticated computer system continuously monitors various parameters (traction, speed,steering angle, etc.) and instantly adjusts the power output of each motor.
  • Instantaneous Response: The absence of mechanical linkages allows for lightning-fast adjustments in power distribution, resulting in superior traction control and handling.
  • Efficiency Gains: Electric motors are inherently more efficient than ICEs, and the lack of complex mechanical components further improves overall efficiency.
Comparison to 4x4 Trucks:
While both Tesla's dual motor system and 4x4 trucks aim to provide all-wheel traction, their implementations are vastly different. 4x4 trucks often rely on more robust mechanical systems designed for off-road use, while Tesla's focus is on on-road performance, efficiency, and advanced digital control.
Key Advantages of Tesla's Dual Motor System:
  • Superior Traction and Handling: Instantaneous torque vectoring enables optimal grip and control in all weather conditions.
  • Improved Efficiency: The digital control system optimizes power delivery for maximum range.
  • Regenerative Braking: Both motors can act as generators during braking, recovering energy that would otherwise be lost as heat.
  • Redundancy: If one motor fails, the other can still propel the vehicle.
Tesla's AWD system is not inherently biased towards the rear or front wheels. It dynamically adjusts the torque distribution between the front and rear motors based on various factors, including:
  • Driving Conditions: In slippery conditions, the system can send more power to the wheels with the most grip to maximize traction.
  • Acceleration/Deceleration: During acceleration, weight shifts towards the rear, so more torque may be sent to the rear wheels. Conversely, during braking, more torque can be directed to the front wheels for regenerative braking.
  • Steering Input: While cornering, the system can adjust torque distribution to enhance handling and stability.
While Tesla's AWD system is highly adaptable, some models and driving modes may exhibit a slight rear-wheel bias under certain conditions. For example, the Performance models prioritize acceleration, so they may send more power to the rear wheels during hard launches. However, this bias is not fixed and will change based on the factors mentioned above.
Overall, Tesla's AWD system is designed to provide optimal traction, handling, and efficiency in all driving conditions. It does not favor the front or rear wheels but dynamically adjusts torque distribution to maximize performance and safety.
For further information, you can refer to the following resources:
I hope this explanation clarifies Tesla's AWD system!

• Disagree
Reactions: misterd and yesimon
Redundancy: If one motor fails, the other can still propel the vehicle.
Any experience with this working in practice?

When my rear motor failed, another failure then disabled the entire drive system. I'd finger the HV fuse, per the service center, except the A/C continued working for two hours in 100°F weather while waiting for the tow truck.

Attachments

• PXL_20210801_230912420.jpg
    PXL_20210801_230912420.jpg
    653.6 KB · Views: 4
The A/C did work while the drive system stayed shut down. I didn't think it's powered by the 12V battery and even if it is, the 12V battery shouldn't last that long. That means the high voltage battery's fuse must not have blown. But the service invoice said they replaced the drive unit and the HV fuse (under warranty) and it's been fine ever since.

Reactions: cmaster