Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How important is pano roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not meant at anyone specifically, but I have to say I love reading these threads where our subjective opinions (heat/no heat) and rumors (leaks) are stated as fact to justify why we didn't or did get the pano roof :)

.....On a serious note, I got the pano roof, and love it for many reasons but mostly because I found it has reversed the onset of male baldness...

• Funny
Reactions: Joelc and whitex
No go on the pano roof ... many long term leaks and noise issues along with an extra 200 lbs of mass :eek:

My car is only a little over 3 months old and the pano roof has developed some annoying noises/rattles. Hoping the service center will be able to address them the next time I am near one.

My only regret with the car now after 3 months is that I ordered the pano roof. If I had it to do again, I'd go without it. I don't really use it much or find it very useful. Cleaning the bugs off that it collects in the catcher is annoying. Really, the pano roof is just something else to pay for when the warranty runs out and things go south.

But, I do like the extra light in the car and how much more "open" it feels with the pano roof. I'd probably like it more if it was just one solid piece more like the one in the Model 3.

A Dodge Caravan?? ouch. I used to love these muscle cars. What an ugly comparison--perhaps right but....A Dodge Caravan?? ouch
Yeah... A Dodge Caravan full of people - Towing another Dodge Caravan on 2 flats.

I mean look at that thing. Its almost like the design team said to themselves - What can we do to make this car the least wind resistant that we possibly can?

Reactions: Chopr147
I'm going with all black interior and no pano. I don't want any distracting reflections on the windows I'm looking out through. Kind of like when you're watching a movie it's best to have the room as dark as possible. I can get plenty of air and wind noise by opening my side windows if that's what I'm in the mood for.

My car is only a little over 3 months old and the pano roof has developed some annoying noises/rattles. Hoping the service center will be able to address them the next time I am near one.

My only regret with the car now after 3 months is that I ordered the pano roof. If I had it to do again, I'd go without it. I don't really use it much or find it very useful. Cleaning the bugs off that it collects in the catcher is annoying. Really, the pano roof is just something else to pay for when the warranty runs out and things go south.

But, I do like the extra light in the car and how much more "open" it feels with the pano roof. I'd probably like it more if it was just one solid piece more like the one in the Model 3.

I have owned both ... the pano roof will only get worse with time :cool:

putting all that weight at the top of a car doesn't help performance. it raises CG a little (given the total weight and how low the center of gravity is already) and contributes to chassis flex.

for all the reasons already cited above it's a no-go. one of the few options to which i can easily say "I'll pass".

Yeah... A Dodge Caravan full of people - Towing another Dodge Caravan on 2 flats.

I mean look at that thing. Its almost like the design team said to themselves - What can we do to make this car the least wind resistant that we possibly can?

My car was actually a few years earlier than this one, and the nose was not quite so blunt.

You have to remember times have changed. The exterior design of the Model S is literally a work of art. Ford didn't have the technology or the design capacity to make the equivalent of a Model S in the late 60s. Further, this car was designed to compete with the other "land yachts" of the period. While the exterior coefficient of friction of the Mercury Marauder may have not been great, that wasn't important because gas was under $.40 per gallon.

The Model S and the Mercury Marauder did have one thing in common - they were both wide cars. As a result, the back seat of the Mercury Marauder was very wide and commodious, and the faux leather seats were very comfortable. It was easy to sleep there, which I did many times while I was in college. Remember that while the late 60 and early 70s were the "Age of Aquarius", most students lived in dorms, and colleges and universities did not have co-ed dorms. Men were not allowed in the women's dorms, much less allowed to sleep over.

The interior of the Mercury Marauder was more luxurious and spacious than my Model S, and the Mercury Marauder served my purposes at that time very well, and I still have fond memories of it.