Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD coming, but only for S/X first? Model 3 type interior in all? (Rumor)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnxietyRanger

Aug 22, 2014
EU
I thought this deserved its own thread as it could explain Tesla's design thinking in Model 3 as well. The spartan interior as well as the spaceship comments would make tons more sense this way... Is Model 3 the harbinger of things to come on the other models as well? If so, I would assume a future Model 3 version to get this option as well...

For what it's worth, The Tesla Show's latest podcast on 5/30 shared an interesting rumor from a source that knows Tesla engineers, apparently:

HUD is coming, but only on the S/X. It covers a 1/3rd (or 1/4th?) of the windshield. They're dropping the driver-facing speedometer display in both vehicles ("two" displays: 17" LCD + HUD). Possibly switching to landscape orientation of the main 17" display.

Take it with the usual grain of salt, but I trust The Tesla Show mates a bit more (IIRC, they both work at Silicon Valley companies; I think one of the two works at Google...but I could be totally off-base, too).

Thoughts?

Certainly if they introduce a HUD, it must be on S/X first. In theory they could introduce it on S/X first and then be on 3 at the launch of 3, but we're running out of time to make that still be a plausible "premium features on premium vehicles first" scenario...

Any new feature should come on the top models first.

Reactions: MarkS22
Tesla can't really release a HUD on the S/X anytime soon, can they? They'd need to wait until most of the 3 reservations are delivered and that'll be what, 2019 by the time they catch up, IF they're on time? Because if they start producing a simplified dash - similar to the 3's - and add a HUD to the S/X, then what's to stop 3 reservation holders from waiting until the HUD finally comes to the 3 before finalizing any orders?

Tesla can't really release a HUD on the S/X anytime soon, can they? They'd need to wait until most of the 3 reservations are delivered and that'll be what, 2019 by the time they catch up, IF they're on time? Because if they start producing a simplified dash - similar to the 3's - and add a HUD to the S/X, then what's to stop 3 reservation holders from waiting until the HUD finally comes to the 3 before finalizing any orders?

I actually think the reverse.

They might want to launch the revised Model S/X interior as soon as possible, because Model 3 won't be bringing in the bacon for a while (possibly too slow a ramp-up and premium not high enough at the beginning?). Assuming such a potentially controversial interior is not a sales obstacle, it would be a demand lever for Model S/X and clear separator between Model S/X and Model 3. They may (rightfully?) think there is enough demand for Model 3 even in a lower-specced guise...

Also, making big hooplah in Q2 about a two-screen Model S and then removing the instrument cluster and bringing HUD to all models in Q3 would just be very misleading...

So maybe the new narrative - at least short to medium term - really is two screens (one of them IC or later HUD) for the Model S/X only?

p.s. Of course the timing of a rumored Model S/X interior refresh depends on when it is ready. If it is not ready yet, then it would be delayed naturally...

I actually think the reverse.

They might want to launch the revised Model S/X interior as soon as possible, because Model 3 won't be bringing in the bacon for a while (possibly too slow a ramp-up and premium not high enough at the beginning?). Assuming such a potentially controversial interior is not a sales obstacle, it would be a demand lever for Model S/X and clear separator between Model S/X and Model 3. They may (rightfully?) think there is enough demand for Model 3 even in a lower-specced guise...

Also, making big hooplah in Q2 about a two-screen Model S and then removing the instrument cluster and bringing HUD to all models in Q3 would just be very misleading...

So maybe the new narrative - at least short to medium term - really is two screens (one of them IC or later HUD) for the Model S/X only?

p.s. Of course the timing of a rumored Model S/X interior refresh depends on when it is ready. If it is not ready yet, then it would be delayed naturally...

I agree with this. If the S is going to be 2-3 times the price of the 3, they need to make it CLEARLY the better vehicle. For all it's worth, I think they need to do the following before launch of the 3:

a) Update and improve the S interior.

b) Clearly differentiate the trim levels. Right now a P100D is about triple the price of the entry level 75, but it looks exactly the same, except for the badge. The P100D should look very different looking than the non-P cars. It should exude power/sport/etc.

I'm quite concerned that they will lose significant S sales, when the 3 hits the road. And yes, the waiting list might push some people to the S, but not enough, I fear.

Alas, the die has been cast for a while. We can pontificate all we want. I'm quite sure that these things are already in the works, and there are folks at Tesla who are extremely well aware of the potential risks that they face if they delay. I'm sure that there is some big gantt chart at Tesla showing how all of this things are going to roll out. And I'm sure that it's not going to happen as quickly as EM and crew wish it would. :)

Last edited:
I agree with this. If the S is going to be 2-3 times the price of the 3, they need to make it CLEARLY the better vehicle. For all it's worth, I think they need to do the following before launch of the 3:

a) Update and improve the S interior.

b) Clearly differentiate the trim levels. Right now a P100D is about triple the price of the entry level 75, but it looks exactly the same, except for the badge. The P100D should look very different looking than the non-P cars. It should exude power/sport/etc.

I'm quite concerned that they will lose significant S sales, when the 3 hits the road. And yes, the waiting list might push some people to the S, but not enough, I fear.

Alas, the die has been cast for a while. We can pontificate all we want. I'm quite sure that these things are already in the works, and there are folks at Tesla who are extremely well aware of the potential risks that they face if they delay. I'm sure that there is some big gantt chart at Tesla showing how all of this things are going to roll out. And I'm sure that it's not going to happen as quickly as EM and crew wish it would. :)

I do agree, the Model S needs an update (and the Model X interior as well, at least parts of it)

Don't get me wrong, the Model S has a nice interior, but it is a bit dated now after 5 years. Seats have already improved quite a bit but the dash didn't.

Mercedes' E-class went from:
Unknown-3.jpeg

in 2013, to that:
images.jpeg

in 2017.

I like my Model S interior more, than the 2013 E-Class, but less than the 2017 one.

I agree with this. If the S is going to be 2-3 times the price of the 3, they need to make it CLEARLY the better vehicle.

I didn't say the 3 should be the same car at half the price. But the rumor the op shared discussed the S/X getting the 3's dashboard - so actually a stark decrease in luxury - and adding a HUD.

If the S/X turn into the 3's interior with a HUD, and it's believed the 3 will eventually get a HUD as well, Tesla is going to kneecap their 3 sales. Doing that is more problematic for Tesla than delaying an interior refresh a year or two for the S/X.

An augmented reality HUD that uses a substantial portion of the windshield fits so well into Tesla's style/character that I really think it's coming at some point.

Given the Panasonic demo at CES and the hiring of a Volvo interior expert to do an upgrade for the S/X, it seems reasonable to believe that it might be coming this year or next.

I didn't say the 3 should be the same car at half the price. But the rumor the op shared discussed the S/X getting the 3's dashboard - so actually a stark decrease in luxury - and adding a HUD.

If the S/X turn into the 3's interior with a HUD, and it's believed the 3 will eventually get a HUD as well, Tesla is going to kneecap their 3 sales. Doing that is more problematic for Tesla than delaying an interior refresh a year or two for the S/X.

We haven't seen the 3 interior, although I expect it will be a better looking version of what we're seeing now. I quite like the idea of pushing back the dash, opening up the interior of the car. I think Tesla is on the leading edge of auto design here and I suspect it will be accepted well. But what do I know? Tesla pays people a lot smarter than me to think about such things.

I also don't think that there will be any decrease in "luxury" (whatever that means) if the S eliminates the console and installs a HUD. They just have to make sure that the materials are very good quality, well put together and have aesthetic appeal. It will absolutely increase the perceived technology level in the car. And I think that matters far more to Tesla's customer base than some Teutonic luxo-frippery. My instinctive reaction, when I read the original post in this thread was, "Cool! I want that!". I'm sure others will feel similarly.

Reactions: Foxhound199
An augmented reality HUD that uses a substantial portion of the windshield fits so well into Tesla's style/character that I really think it's coming at some point.

Given the Panasonic demo at CES and the hiring of a Volvo interior expert to do an upgrade for the S/X, it seems reasonable to believe that it might be coming this year or next.

The "or next" concerns me. This would definitely be a demand driver for the S. And they'll need it when the 3 hits the road.

Reactions: PaulJB
The "or next" concerns me. This would definitely be a demand driver for the S. And they'll need it when the 3 hits the road.

Maybe. The other side is Tesla's staffing and disruption of production.

Launching the model 3 on time and ramping up quickly has to be Tesla's top priority right now.

The folks who are busy doing that and solving any problems that show up in that line are the same type of folks that would be sorting out how to produce the new interior and solving any problems when it comes to production.

It's certainly possible that the new interior and HUD will show up near when the 3 does, but I actually think it's more likely that they'll show up several months later, like early next year - and it's entirely possible that they won't appear for a few years though I think that's less likely.

I do agree, the Model S needs an update (and the Model X interior as well, at least parts of it)

Don't get me wrong, the Model S has a nice interior, but it is a bit dated now after 5 years. Seats have already improved quite a bit but the dash didn't.

Mercedes' E-class went from:
View attachment 229372
in 2013, to that:
View attachment 229373
in 2017.

I like my Model S interior more, than the 2013 E-Class, but less than the 2017 one.

The new E class is based on the C class chassis now. They gussied up the interior to give the impression of it being a new car, but it kinda is a C class being sold as an E class.

I have a E class as my 2nd car (we hardly use it). Compared to my X it is a very crude vehicle. Poor electronics, nav, plastic seats (MB Tex) and I am so tired of seeing the display... Service A or B or C due, and no idea what they are talking about without taking it to the dealer and having me bend over with their exorbinate oil change costs.

The S and X interiors are smooth works of art compared to the million button Mercedes interiors. Mercedes has changed, and now sells the Sizzle instead of the Steak.

I noticed you provided a Black & White photo for the older Mercedes, and a high resolution Color one for the later car.

• Disagree
Reactions: X Fan and gowthamn
We haven't seen the 3 interior, although I expect it will be a better looking version of what we're seeing now. I quite like the idea of pushing back the dash, opening up the interior of the car. I think Tesla is on the leading edge of auto design here and I suspect it will be accepted well. But what do I know? Tesla pays people a lot smarter than me to think about such things.

I also don't think that there will be any decrease in "luxury" (whatever that means) if the S eliminates the console and installs a HUD. They just have to make sure that the materials are very good quality, well put together and have aesthetic appeal. It will absolutely increase the perceived technology level in the car. And I think that matters far more to Tesla's customer base than some Teutonic luxo-frippery. My instinctive reaction, when I read the original post in this thread was, "Cool! I want that!". I'm sure others will feel similarly.

We have seen the interior of both the initial reveal alpha and the release candidates.

The dashboard in the 3 is less luxurious with less design and styling than the S/X.