Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am installing a wall charger 150 ft from the panel. What guage wire should i use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

You still are not providing the information someone might need to try to help you. Are you installing in conduit? are you running it in the wall, or surface mount?

Or, said another way, given how you are asking you likely should engage an electrician.

Upvote 0
What's the deal with all the condescending replies?

6/3 with ground THHN.

Nassau Cable has good prices. I would use outdoor rated cable and still put it inside some flex conduit. Make sure to use lube to snake the wire through.

This would work well.

Upvote 0

6/3 with ground THHN.

Nassau Cable has good prices. I would use outdoor rated cable and still put it inside some flex conduit. Make sure to use lube to snake the wire through.

This would work well.

You cant surface run THHN, so since we dont know how this person is planning on installing it, that may or may not be the appropriate wire. I dont find it condescending to say "you arent providing the information needed to answer your question", but perhaps you see that differently.

Upvote 0

6/3 with ground THHN.

This would work well.
Thanks i am having a contractor do the install. I am buying the wire so as to use my credit card for material.However he told me to buy 8/3. Obviously i am not the professional it just seems 6/3 would be better. I dont want to save a coupl hundred and have problems later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
You cant surface run THHN, so since we dont know how this person is planning on installing it, that may or may not be the appropriate wire. I dont find it condescending to say "you arent providing the information needed to answer your question", but perhaps you see that differently.
the wire will be under the house for about 25ft then undreground for about 10-15 feet then in the attic for the remainder. Down the inside of the wall and out, connecting to the charger from there

Upvote 0
For a 40A charge on a 50A circuit you can *generally* use individual strands of #6 THHN in metal/plastic/rigid/flexible conduit, or any type of 6/2 or 6/3 multiconductor molded cable. All modern wall chargers are 240V-only, meaning that they do not have a Neutral terminal so you only need 2 conductors ("/2") plus #10 ground. Use loose wires in conduit if practical, metal clad "MC" cable for more difficult runs, or Romex "NM" cable for the cheapest/easiest installation - but note that Romex can only be run inside a wall, attic, or basement. There's also an underground "UF" form of Romex which may be easiest for your application.

But your case isn't "general" at 150ft. Here you should check that the voltage drop is below NEC's 3% guidance:
  • #6 resistance is 0.49 Ohm/1000 ft
  • 150' run thru 2 conductors totaling 300 feet
  • 0.49 Ohm x 300'/1000' = 0.147 Ohms
  • Voltage drop = Current x Resistance = 40A x 0.147 Ohms = 5.9V
  • 5.9V / 240V = 2.5% voltage drop
So #6 wire is perfectly fine. You could even use a 60A breaker for 48A charging with a 2.9% voltage drop on #6 wire as long as it is not Romex-ish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For a 40A charge on a 50A circuit you can *generally* use individual strands of #6 THHN in metal/plastic/rigid/flexible conduit, or any type of 6/2 or 6/3 multiconductor molded cable. All modern wall chargers are 240V-only, meaning that they do not have a Neutral terminal so you only need 2 conductors ("/2") plus #10 ground. Use loose wires in conduit if practical, metal clad "MC" cable for more difficult runs, or Romex "NM" cable for the cheapest/easiest installation - but note that Romex can only be run inside a wall, attic, or basement. There's also an underground "UF" form of Romex which may be easiest for your application.

But your case isn't "general" at 150ft. Here you should check that the voltage drop is below NEC's 3% guidance:

#6 resistance is 0.49 Ohm/1000 ft
150' run thru 2 conductors totaling 300 feet
0.49 Ohm x 300'/1000' = 0.147 Ohms
Voltage drop = Current x Resistance = 40A x 0.147 Ohms = 5.9V
5.9V / 240V = 2.5% voltage drop
So #6 wire is perfectly fine. You could even use a 60A breaker for 48A charging with a 2.9% voltage drop on #6 wire as long as it is not Romex-ish.
I was going to use romex . If thats not good which should I use? FYI I am making sure my contractor uses the correct materials

Upvote 0
Thanks i am having a contractor do the install. I am buying the wire so as to use my credit card for material.However he told me to buy 8/3. Obviously i am not the professional it just seems 6/3 would be better. I dont want to save a coupl hundred and have problems later.

Definitely use 6/3.

Personally I would use the wire I linked, but there's different options that will work.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0