Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't gone through all 48 pages of this thread, but I can confirm that my car also does not appear to go to full current when charged at a SC. I noticed this about a month ago, and just thought it must be some issue with the SC. In fact, I unplugged the car and went to another stall at the time, with no change in charging rate.

Most of my charging occurs at a Tesla Energy CHAdeMO charger near work. That plus some slow charging at a 115V adapter at work. But the majority of charging occurs at the CHADdeMO station. It wasn't until today that I learned that there is a price to be paid for that, in that they are throttling down my SC charging ability permanently. I also likely have a couple of hundred charging events at the CHAdeMO station.

There aren't any nearby SC, so I'm not sure it's terribly important to me, but if they throttle down my CHAdeMO charging rate, I'll be furious.
No worries, CHAdeMO is already very much "throttled" compared to supercharging. We're talking peak supercharging rates reduced to about 90kW vs. 110 kW, when CHAdeMO peaks at 50 kW and most stations give less. But even if it were, you'd rather your battery be damaged than to have a few kW less peak charging rate so that it takes a few minutes longer to charge? You'd be furious about that? Think about that for a moment.

Oh, and there's no such thing as Tesla Energy CHAdeMO.

Life is a balance. This is the first person I have read about who does 100% of their charging via either SuperChargers or CHAdeMO. In the years I have been a member of this forum I have been made aware it was not good to fast charge too frequentlly as it is not good for the battery. Just like the recommendation from Tesla that we normally don't charge more than 80%. The whole goal of this information is slow down the rate of degradation. Of the current Tesla owners I doubt that this news will have any impact on them as most people charge at home at night and only use a Supercharger when they travel. A balanced approach. I only know of one Tesla owner who even owns a CHAmeDO.

I think it will have a bigger impact on new buyers and especially Model 3 users, those who plan to use Superchargers for all of their charging needs. I put this group into two catagories: those who live in condos or apartment buildings where there is no other place to charge, and the second group are those who don't see the need to put in a charging infrastructure at home when they can just charge at Superchargers. The second group may have to rethink their plan. As for the first group, those with no choice, there are many who will not travel enough each week and therefore will only need to charge every couple of weeks. Again this group probably wouldn't need to worry as it would take over 10 years to get to the number of chargers before their charging would be restricted. But those who travel a lot or have a long commute are the ones who may need to worry. I wish we could get some written validation from Tesla. There are people who have Model 3 reservation who plan on getting all their charges at Superchargers who may need to look for other charging solutions or who may want to rethink their decision on a Model 3. I am not trying to alarm anyone but if I was one of these people I would want more info from Tesla.

With regards to those who leave their car PARKED at a Supercharger after it has already finished charging is another subject. I don't have much patience for inconsiderate people. (I am not saying or indicating the person who started this thread is inconsiderate.) The small amount of fee Tesla charges for idle time is not going to make an inconsiderate person less inconsiderate.

I was recently at the Kennedy Space Center for an event. They only have a couple of charging spots. I didn't need to charge but walked by the Destination charger. One person tied up a spot for over six hours after his car was charged. The reality is his car only charged for about 15 minutes. He probably only PARKED there so he was closer to the gate. There was one guy there waiting who really needed to charge. He only had 20 miles left on his battery. He eventually followed me home and I let him use my Level 2 charger. My wife cooked his family dinner.

I would suggest the message he responded to was doing the same. I guess that explains the style.
I repeated his comment to me- if you then conclude that his post was an attack on me, then yes, it would be logical to assume what you are suggesting. On the other hand, if he was not attacking me, then there is no way you can conclude what you suggest.

And you knew that, because I quoted his first post taking a potshot.
Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 12.48.29 PM.png

Last edited:
Life is a balance. This is the first person I have read about who does 100% of their charging via either SuperChargers or CHAdeMO. In the years I have been a member of this forum I have been made aware it was not good to fast charge too frequentlly as it is not good for the battery. Just like the recommendation from Tesla that we normally don't charge more than 80%. The whole goal of this information is slow down the rate of degradation. Of the current Tesla owners I doubt that this news will have any impact on them as most people charge at home at night and only use a Supercharger when they travel. A balanced approach. I only know of one Tesla owner who even owns a CHAmeDO.

Would you agree with my suggested recommendation that going forward DC charging be only recommended to be used when necessary and not if AC can do the trick? Just like the 80-90% rule, to me that would sound like a useful practical advice. No?

Nobody seemed to know about the rate throttling here, even though degradation had been discussed as a separate old issue.

I repeated his comment to me- if you then conclude that his post was an attack on me, then yes, it would be logical to assume what you are suggesting. On the other hand, if he was not attacking me, then there is no way you can conclude what you suggest.

And you knew that, because I quoted his first post taking a potshot.
View attachment 226118

My original reference was solely to "journalists." Your response was targeted at what could have been interpreted as a much broader audience. And some of the "usual suspects" have chimed in with similar comments.

While people are busily arguing the finer points, it's easy to remember that there is a large audience for these posts. It's not just some new owners misinterpreting - we're all well aware that some of the *journalists* that troll these threads are skewing their reports without the proper balance. (Or maybe deliberately for clicks, I dunno. Maybe they're not as confused as they appear.)

It's definitely the latter Bonnie. Have you been paying attention to news sources lately? It's all about the misleading headline and clicks. And with a 960 post and counting thread on this already, any context is long, long obscured. I wouldn't worry about it, that horse long ago left the barn!

I'm taking the wildest guess here -- but I'm supposing no more than 5% of Tesla drivers actually own the CHAdeMO adapter. At $450 it would take ~ 40 visits at $11 per charge for you even begin to amortize the cost of the thing (i.e., at 40 charges, half the cost of your charges is in the adapter itself). Given that, and that the SuperCharger network is coming to a town near you (unless you are in SW Kansas, N. Dakota, or the four corners) -- it seem improbably that even the tiniest fraction of 1% of drivers would approach charging some 22,000 odd miles as the person who observed the 'throttling'. So, yes, this is a huge issue for that 0.x%. Am I going to see that problem? Maybe after the zombie apocalypse, and I commandeer a Chademo adapter from somebody.

Reactions: bonnie
It's definitely the latter Bonnie. Have you been paying attention to news sources lately? It's all about the misleading headline and clicks. And with a 960 post and counting thread on this already, any context is long, long obscured. I wouldn't worry about it, that horse long ago left the barn!
Yeah, I'm more worried about the EV-neophytes that are drawing the wrong conclusions. The unethical journalists are not taken seriously anyway.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
Living on the edge this morning. (Just kidding - I have zero worries about this. ZEE-ROH.)

View attachment 226103
Got to admit I'm a lot more concerned about charging with this adapter in the rain, now that I read the manual, than I am about charge rate ;-)

Being open and transparent on what the criteria is would align to my hopes of Tesla operating differently. Today this is reported to be 1% though without understanding the criteria, thresholds, and when this became effective, I have to just trust...

this is reported to be 1% though without understanding the criteria, thresholds, and when this became effective, I have to just trust...

Not really IMO a trust question. There is nothing you can trust since you can't know the limit on who becomes a less than one percenter.

You can choose to ignore the issue or avoid DC charging to mitigate, but I don't see anything else one could do with the current level of data.

I'm taking the wildest guess here -- but I'm supposing no more than 5% of Tesla drivers actually own the CHAdeMO adapter. At $450 it would take ~ 40 visits at $11 per charge for you even begin to amortize the cost of the thing (i.e., at 40 charges, half the cost of your charges is in the adapter itself). Given that, and that the SuperCharger network is coming to a town near you (unless you are in SW Kansas, N. Dakota, or the four corners) -- it seem improbably that even the tiniest fraction of 1% of drivers would approach charging some 22,000 odd miles as the person who observed the 'throttling'. So, yes, this is a huge issue for that 0.x%. Am I going to see that problem? Maybe after the zombie apocalypse, and I commandeer a Chademo adapter from somebody.
It appears that the same issue would present itself for frequent supercharging, not just with chademo charging. It isn't Chademo that's the problem, it's high current DC charging. Still I find it odd that Tesla treats Chademo the same, as at best it is half the power of a supercharger (and sometimes a third).

I appreciate that Tesla is trying to protect our batteries, but we need the the proper information to help us decide how much to supercharge. Information about how this algorithm works, combined with its intent to protect our batteries, would appease most customers. However, keeping it so secret is irritating and disconcerting. In 8 years, will my max rate be 50kw? 30kw? 10kw? How would I know without some idea how this algorithm works?