Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you were on the fence about solar now is the time to pull the trigger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My solar panels will have paid for themselves 5 years after install. I'm in NJ so in addition to federal incentives we generate SRECs at the state level which I sell to my utility. 6.1 kW system generates around 8 MWh per year. Gross installed cost was around 3.90/watt. Total no-brainer if you have a sunny roof.

Florida has net metering and copious sunshine. Payback periods on a cash purchase should be closer to 4 or 5 years on properly sourced solar.

As for SolarCity selling PPAs @ 27 cents....it was less than half that here in PA, so I'm not sure where your figured are coming from.

Solar is cheap, no amount of spin can change that fact. Do some installers charge $5/W? Yes, but you can easily get half that price with a bit of research.

Reactions: Snerruc
Florida has net metering and copious sunshine. Payback periods on a cash purchase should be closer to 4 or 5 years on properly sourced solar.
I can't comment on the rest of fla but there is no net metering where I am. regardless of the copious sunshine even with 2k sq feet of roofing that could be utilized a solar system installed on my house is projected to only provide less than 2/3 the energy I consume.
try and know what you are talking about

Last edited:
My solar panels will have paid for themselves 5 years after install. I'm in NJ so in addition to federal incentives we generate SRECs at the state level which I sell to my utility. 6.1 kW system generates around 8 MWh per year. Gross installed cost was around 3.90/watt. Total no-brainer if you have a sunny roof.
that's great for you! however your reality is not everyone's reality

Reactions: Gwgan
I'm 50-50 on solar. But a argument can not overlooked that benefit of first year has historically been less than decrease in install cost of last year?

Am I wrong (honestly asking)?

I'm sure it will level off or credits will be taken away to change the equation, but for now...

Florida is a bit of a unique situation when it comes to solar. They have seemingly the perfect weather for it, but local and state legislation has put into place policies that give an advantage to the utilities. Leases aren't allowed, etc I believe the latest proposal to allow for charging solar customers extra failed, but they are still not a solar friendly state right now.

Why It’s So Hard to Get Solar in Florida (That’d Be the Sunshine State)

So solar probably doesn't make sense for @kort677 because of his location. But for folks in other areas, it probably does make more sense especially with install prices having come down so much.

We last got bids 7 years ago, and it was too expensive then (15 year payback). But 1 (maybe 2) EVs later plus the price drops on the systems, and I think it might be better, so we are going to take another look. I am hoping for a 5 year or less payback period.

• Informative
Reactions: nativewolf
Alabama is similar to Florida in that the climate allows for solar but current policy and cheap energy rates make it a hard sell. My advertised per kWh rate is $0.09. With fees factored in it's about $0.117. My 9PM to 5AM EV rate is $0.1/kWh with fees factored in.

We do have a TOU plan available but due to a higher base fee and some loads that run 24/7 (pump, IT gear), it would be a wash unless we completely shut off the HVAC during the summer 1PM-7PM peak rate (which isn't an option - we'd have to run it before 7PM).

I looked into using powerwalls with the TOU plan and doing some arbitrage but the numbers don't work out with the AC->DC->AC efficiency loss and the battery degradation.

The numbers for solar also don't work out due to our utility charging $5 per month per installed kW of solar. So a 5kW array would add $25 to our bill. Also, the utility would only buy any extra electricity produced at slightly below wholesale rates.

Basically, my electric rate would have to almost double before solar, solar + powerwalls or powerwalls + arbitrage would make financial sense.

Now, I still plan on installing 2 powerwalls and enough solar to fully charge them to about 85% each day. With the tax credit that will help cut my bill a little bit and give me a backup for essential loads at a decent price. However, I can completely understand when people in cheap energy states saying that solar just isn't feasible for them.

Reactions: nativewolf

As for SolarCity selling PPAs @ 27 cents....it was less than half that here in PA, so I'm not sure where your figured are coming from.

Solar is cheap, no amount of spin can change that fact. Do some installers charge $5/W? Yes, but you can easily get half that price with a bit of research.
Why would they give you a price per kWh? You're talking about a lease or a PPA? Purchase is the only way to go. You need to compare price per installed watt.
Solar City only sells cash here. No ppa , no net metering. No nothing $35000 period for 22 panels and 2 Powerwalls grid tied. Solar doesn't seem cheap to me. My HELCO bill is less than $200 a month. Can't use the credits. When I bought my S , I only could use $400 of credit.

Florida is a bit of a unique situation when it comes to solar. They have seemingly the perfect weather for it, but local and state legislation has put into place policies that give an advantage to the utilities. Leases aren't allowed, etc I believe the latest proposal to allow for charging solar customers extra failed, but they are still not a solar friendly state right now.

Why It’s So Hard to Get Solar in Florida (That’d Be the Sunshine State)

So solar probably doesn't make sense for @kort677 because of his location. But for folks in other areas, it probably does make more sense especially with install prices having come down so much.

We last got bids 7 years ago, and it was too expensive then (15 year payback). But 1 (maybe 2) EVs later plus the price drops on the systems, and I think it might be better, so we are going to take another look. I am hoping for a 5 year or less payback period.

You really should obtain new quotes, prices have really dropped in the last 3 years. I obtained three quotes and prices ranged almost 30%. I went with the lowest bidder and our system should be paid back in 7 years.

Reactions: Az_Rael
Alabama is similar to Florida in that the climate allows for solar but current policy and cheap energy rates make it a hard sell. My advertised per kWh rate is $0.09. With fees factored in it's about $0.117. My 9PM to 5AM EV rate is $0.1/kWh with fees factored in.

We do have a TOU plan available but due to a higher base fee and some loads that run 24/7 (pump, IT gear), it would be a wash unless we completely shut off the HVAC during the summer 1PM-7PM peak rate (which isn't an option - we'd have to run it before 7PM).

I looked into using powerwalls with the TOU plan and doing some arbitrage but the numbers don't work out with the AC->DC->AC efficiency loss and the battery degradation.

The numbers for solar also don't work out due to our utility charging $5 per month per installed kW of solar. So a 5kW array would add $25 to our bill. Also, the utility would only buy any extra electricity produced at slightly below wholesale rates.

Basically, my electric rate would have to almost double before solar, solar + powerwalls or powerwalls + arbitrage would make financial sense.

Now, I still plan on installing 2 powerwalls and enough solar to fully charge them to about 85% each day. With the tax credit that will help cut my bill a little bit and give me a backup for essential loads at a decent price. However, I can completely understand when people in cheap energy states saying that solar just isn't feasible for them.

Solar is getting quite inexpensive and prices just keep falling. I don't think I would bother even reporting/connecting the solar to the grid just have panel switches to keep your solar power from the meter. However, the good news is that if you wait a few more years solar is going to be getting into the 5 year payback. I don't see any rush to get solar today but soon...very soon the battery solar combo is going to be so compelling it will make sense if you considered a whole house generator.

I'm in Illinois with cheap electric rates, but maybe the best pro solar programs from the state. I got 3 estimates, 2 were about the same, 1 was $10k higher. Didn't do the Powerwalls, no fair counting $11k of powerwalls comparing prices. Payback is less the 7 years, percentage return on my money is around 5% (depending on if and when I sell the house). I could not afford to have a CD at less then 1%, or a Muni Bond at 1%, when I could get 5%.

Like putting in a new kitchen, solar panels are a home improvement. The stats say you will get 50 to 70% of the price back if you sell the house.

I can't comment on the rest of fla but there is no net metering where I am. regardless of the copious sunshine even with 2k sq feet of roofing that could be utilized a solar system installed on my house is projected to only provide less than 2/3 the energy I consume.
try and know what you are talking about
Why would a grid tied solar home need to power itself entirely? I don't know the math, but 2k sq feet of decently oriented roof space should be enough to generate a TON of juice.

Solar is cheap, it's just a fact. If you live in an advantageously sunny region it's the cheapest way to generate electricity. Nothing about your personal situation can change the laws of physics and economics.