Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm new to Tesla but I have this one question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When Cabin Overheat Protection is enabled does anyone know the UPPER and LOWER temp limits that it will try to maintain. I mean I don’t think it would need to lower the temp from say 130 to your SET temp. Maybe bring it down to say 90 degrees and hold it there. During the summer in some parts of the country that could consume many miles of range.
It's "overheat" protection, so it doesn't have both upper and lower boundaries. The limit is to keep it from going over 105 degrees Fahrenheit.
the feature is designed to protect your car's interior from damage caused by overheating.
No, that's not why it was created. There was one of those stories that made national news again a few years ago of some person who left a dog or child inside a car in the summer, and outrage flowed. So someone wrote to Musk/Tesla to ask if Tesla could implement this as a software feature, so it would automatically provide this precaution for Tesla cars so they would not overheat like that, and they agreed and implemented this feature and promoted it as a child safety thing that Tesla cars have.
Protecting interior cabin materials (like screens) is a nice side benefit, and that's now what most people think of.
There is a feature you can turn on that uses passive (no A/C) to cool the cabin when the inside temp exceeds 95 deg. Check settings or manual.
For some reason, it seems it's only the Model 3 and Y that have this, or maybe the newer Model S/X. But my 2014 Model S does not offer that fan-only version. It's just on or off, and it does use the A/C. I don't know why they can't seem to implement that on the older ones.

Reactions: bpjones