Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insane Mode at All Times?

"P" owners only: Do you leave Insane or Ludicrous on all the time?

• Yes

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any reason why I shouldn't leave my P90D in Insane Mode all the time? I'm think of that rare edge case where maximum acceleration could get me out of a potential collision.

Would it hurt my range even if I didn't make use of the power available? Would it cause extra wear & tear on motors and battery somehow?

As far as the range is concerned, it is my understanding (there are a bunch of threads on this, although perhaps they are not easy to search) it makes no difference, if you don't use the extra power.

As for wear and tear, I think the same answer would apply.

There is no problem leaving your vehicle in Insane mode. In theory, you're range would diminish slightly due to the added available torque (assuming you use it). But if you drove within the Sport mode torque band, I'd expect identical range.

I drive my May 2015 P85D-L in Ludicrous speed at all times. The instant torque from a standing start feels about the same as Insane, but the power feels much stronger at higher speeds. I don't find it difficult to manage. The accelerator pedal is well modulated: you get Ludicrous speed only if you ask for it.