Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is weak wifi normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not been able to connect to my wifi hotspot with my 3. My S has never had a problem.

In my garage, the 3 sometimes shows one of my neighbors hotspots while my iPhone shows two plus my own.

In the driveway, again I only get one or two neighbors while the phone shows about twenty.

Where is the wifi antenna? I seem to recall in the S, it is in the passenger side mirror.

I can definitely say WiFi signal appears to be weaker vs. my Galaxy S8. My solution eventually was to set up a repeater near the front of my house so I can get stable WiFi to the 3. Not ideal, but honestly I get very few bars outside my house anyways without the repeater.

Not sure where the antenna is located though. I can say that backing the car in vs. pulling the car in didn't seem to have an effect on ability to pick up signal (it couldn't either way, only occasionally got 1 bar), which makes me think the antenna might be located more centrally.

I got weak WiFi signal at my 3, and after more than a month hadn't received any updates. I started investigating with my phone via various WiFi strength apps, moving the router, etc. Eventually I found the most useful thing was to do a speed test from my phone at various locations. It was pretty clear the signal around my car was pretty bad, and download speeds were low and packet loss high. Moving my router closer helped a bit but it wasn't a long term solution. The main difference I found was making sure nothing is in front of the router, so i moved it up onto a shelf instead of on the back of my desk. I ended up buying a WiFi extender and plugging it into the garage on the side closest to the router, and changing the car to connect just to that WiFi network. Now it gets great signal (and tests on my phone show good 5G download speeds, which I couldn't even connect to before)