Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Justification for 300 mile battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have to read the written warranty. Sorry. A manufacturer can pick from a wide range of conditions and call it a "warranty". I expect that the warranty states something like "normal conditions of use" e.g. no excessive fast charging or usage of range mode. They will have to define exact numbers, as the vehicle logs will clearly state what the car was subjected to.

But all other indications (including their quarterly report and recent shift to 40/60/85) show that Elon had not taken the 30% cut into consideration when he spoke to Jim.

There is another aspect to it. EPA can actually decide on the adjustment factor to use - upto 0.7 i.e. they can use higher numbers than that. It is possible Elon thought they might be able to persuade EPA on this (there is some indication of this in the quarterly report).

But all other indications (including their quarterly report and recent shift to 40/60/85) show that Elon had not taken the 30% cut into consideration when he spoke to Jim.

Hi,

Yes, I believe that in the interview Elon was using a technicality to suggest that the new 5-cycle EPA test had not been formally adopted yet by the FTC. So when he referred to the "current EPA test" he was really referring to the the same older 2-cycle test that was used for deteriming the range of the 2008 Roadster and the advertised range of the Model S. I agree the wording of the most recent quarterly report states that newly adopted EPA test have the potential to reduce the 2-cycle range test by 30% or more.

Refer to posting #50.

Larry