Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kickstarter Campaign

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm incredibly impressed at how Tesla is managing this Model 3 roll-out. If they can get 500K people to drop a $1K deposit on a vehicle that will arrive.... sometime... this gives them half a billion dollars to play with that they don't need to raise through equity or debt financing. This is almost like a kickstarter campaign taken to an absolutely absurd level. Has ANYTHING like this ever happened on such a scale in the history of ANY industry? Let alone the auto industry? Could you IMAGINE General Motors pulling this? The media would ridicule them mercilessly.

Think about that... half a billion dollars, loaned to the company at zero interest, by half a million people with no guarantees as to when the product will arrive. If Tesla succeeds, they sell a pile of cars. If they fail, the money goes away.

Anybody who doubts the brilliance of the people running this firm should have their head examined. I confess that, despite being an enthusiastic owner of a Model S, I was having doubts about whether or not they would be able to hang-in to make this venture a long-term success. I humbly concede that my doubts were foolish. This has been managed supremely well.

. . .If they fail, the money goes away. . .

I think it's a little different than a Kickstarter campaign since the deposits are refundable, and Tesla was already an established company. I would think if the 3 is delayed by two or three additional years they will lose a lot of those deposits. And if the company went under, I suspect you could potentially have a large class of creditors, albeit likely with low priority. Though I am not sure how that'd work cause I am not that kind of lawyer.

That being said, your point is absolutely true. This is unprecedented, and I don't think any other car maker could have pulled it off as successfully.

What does "refundable" mean
I think it's a little different than a Kickstarter campaign since the deposits are refundable, and Tesla was already an established company. I would think if the 3 is delayed by two or three additional years they will lose a lot of those deposits. And if the company went under, I suspect you could potentially have a large class of creditors, albeit likely with low priority. Though I am not sure how that'd work cause I am not that kind of lawyer.

That being said, your point is absolutely true. This is unprecedented, and I don't think any other car maker could have pulled it off as successfully.

What does "refundable" mean though? This is an "all chips in" bet for Tesla. If the 3 succeeds, they are in the big leagues. If it fails, there is no Tesla to do the refunding. I haven't seen the agreement but I doubt very much that the 1K deposits are secured. And the only way that people will start asking for refunds en-masse, is if the company is on the verge of collapse and unlikely to deliver the cars.

Again... absolutely brilliant..