Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered! Thank you and everyone else for the reviews. My Samsung USB has been a hassle since v10.
Good choice. I have two T5s working well without issue on a S and a X. Tried other different ones that either didn't work consistently or due to the mechanical connection sticking out of the USB port quickly got mangled and stopped working. The Samsung T5 connects via a cable and I hide it under the slot in the middle of my S and X so it's more discrete.

Reactions: Snow Drift
In my experience, a Blackvue or Thinkware 1080P unit will destroy a new non-endurance microSD card in a week or two. I have had Samsung, Sandisk and Transcend endurance microSD cards last well over a year in these units. While TeslaCam is arguably less demanding in one way (lower resolution video), it is more demanding in other ways (4 feeds vs 2 and a backend system not optimised to be a dashcam).

Since pretty much all cards/sticks are "fast enough", it is evident that it is something other than rated speed that causes the duty cycle problems, namely, the inability to handle continuous read/write plus housekeeping operations in non-ideal environments. It may also be that Tesla allows easy removal of a drive without properly unmounting it.

I've seen very few, if any, people using microSD cards rated for continuous video operation having TeslaCam errors or mangled/distorted or zero byte file video complaints.

SSD's certainly seem an option for some Model 3 users, but may not be the best choice for Model S, as the USB ports cannot supply enough power for many drives (I had to use a power/data split cable pulling power from the 12V outlet to get reliable operation for an SSD drive with only music on it in my S).

For the small price difference between an endurance rated microSD card and adapter and a non-rated card/stick, I do not understand the reluctance to buying a card rated for the purpose or the insistence that "any" moderately fast USB card/drive will work reliably in a continous duty cycle.

Any Tesla "bug" would surface for all users, not just a hapless few. There may well be issues with how Tesla has built TeslaCam, but the only variable right now across users is the storage medium as we all have the same hardware and software.
Can't remember where I saw the spec on S USB ports. One of them gave about half the amperage of the other. Just can't remember which one. FWIW the Samsung T5 SSD has been working well in my S and X. I think I have it plugged into the left USB.

Purchased a Samsung T5 500GB SSD a couple of months ago and it has been working flawlessly on the Model 3. However, after installing a Taptes Gen 2 wireless Charging Pad and using the supplied splitter to plug in the Samsung T5, the Tesla Cam icon no longer appears on screen and consequently does not record any video footage from the Tesla Cam. Sentry Mode still appears to be working normally which is strange as both Sentry Mode and Tesla Cam are recording to the same SSD drive from the same cameras. Other Taptes charge pad users are using Micro SD drives such as the Samsung 1208GB Pro endurance and are not reporting this issue so it could be limited to the Samsung SSD and/or SSD drives in general and Taptes (the particular make and SSD capacity could also be playing due to different power management requirements). Reference this thread for more details on the Taptes charge pad issues Taptes new wireless charging pad . I have emailed Taptess regarding this issue but doubt they will take an responsibility for fixing this so I'm going to be looking at swapping out the Samsung T5 with a Samsung 128GB Pro endurance Micro SD.

Last spec I saw for the front Model S USB ports was 500mA-900mA when connected as a data device and 2A on USB 2 for charging only. As I mentioned in a previous post, I had to use a power/data splitter cable to draw power from a 12V adapter to use an SSD drive in my 85D, although there are more low power SSD's on the market these days. Not sure what the T5 draws (800mA?) and not sure if the newer S's have beefed up the USB power. I believe the Model 3 is 5A in charging mode, but don't know about data mode.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tbwnm
Purchased a Samsung T5 500GB SSD a couple of months ago and it has been working flawlessly on the Model 3. However, after installing a Taptes Gen 2 wireless Charging Pad and using the supplied splitter to plug in the Samsung T5, the Tesla Cam icon no longer appears on screen and consequently does not record any video footage from the Tesla Cam. Sentry Mode still appears to be working normally which is strange as both Sentry Mode and Tesla Cam are recording to the same SSD drive from the same cameras. Other Taptes charge pad users are using Micro SD drives such as the Samsung 1208GB Pro endurance and are not reporting this issue so it could be limited to the Samsung SSD and/or SSD drives in general and Taptes (the particular make and SSD capacity could also be playing due to different power management requirements). Reference this thread for more details on the Taptes charge pad issues Taptes new wireless charging pad . I have emailed Taptess regarding this issue but doubt they will take an responsibility for fixing this so I'm going to be looking at swapping out the Samsung T5 with a Samsung 128GB Pro endurance Micro SD.
As it turns out, the issue I was having with the Taptes wireless charger and the Samsung T5 and the Dash Cam was my error on the install. I did read the Taptes manual but the instructions didn't click that the provided thinner USB splitter cable is for the power only and the thicker one is for Dash Cam, Music and USB Charging (provides Sync capabilities which the thinner power cable does not). There is nothing wrong with the Taptes Gen 2 Wireless charging Pad and it will work fine with the Samsung T5 if you plug it in to the thicker cable. Sorry for wasting everyone's time

I haven't seen any problems with using the T5 on this forum. Seems to be waaaay more reliable than most of the USB drives.

Search harder :)

I've seen T5 owners report all the same issues as everyone else- 0 byte files, repeater file issues, green/choppy clips, etc...

In smaller #s than USB/SD users- likely because at 3x the price there's simply a lot fewer T5 users.

These are all software problems- not hardware problems.

As evidenced by the fact they keep going away (for everyone across HW type) as software gets updates... or in case of the "too slow" nonsense get introduced (for everyone) as software gets updates.

See also the owner who had 2 Teslas. One was getting the too slow error. The other was not.

He swapped storage devices.

The problem stayed with the same car.

If it was a storage HW issue it would've swapped cars with the storage HW swap.

Search harder :)

I've seen T5 owners report all the same issues as everyone else- 0 byte files, repeater file issues, green/choppy clips, etc...

In smaller #s than USB/SD users- likely because at 3x the price there's simply a lot fewer T5 users.

These are all software problems- not hardware problems.

As evidenced by the fact they keep going away (for everyone across HW type) as software gets updates... or in case of the "too slow" nonsense get introduced (for everyone) as software gets updates.

See also the owner who had 2 Teslas. One was getting the too slow error. The other was not.

He swapped storage devices.

The problem stayed with the same car.

If it was a storage HW issue it would've swapped cars with the storage HW swap.

I did search and the only instance of a T5 failure was when they bought a 2TB size and it got corrupted. They reformatted and partitioned for only 1TB for the sentry mode and it ran fine. Can you provide the link where a T5 got the "too slow" error?

I asked him to do it once and he didn't. Although I've also seen at least one report of the too slow drive error with an ssd. The other errors, there are plenty of examples with ssd users. And why the constant T5 shilling? Are there plants here pushing that brand? There are other, equally good ssd brands available, comparably specced, reviewed, and priced. Call them ssd's, not T5's.

I asked him to do it once and he didn't. Although I've also seen at least one report of the too slow drive error with an ssd. The other errors, there are plenty of examples with ssd users. And why the constant T5 shilling? Are there plants here pushing that brand? There are other, equally good ssd brands available, comparably specced, reviewed, and priced. Call them ssd's, not T5's.

All I see are happy T5 owners here. If he can prove that there were T5 errors in the past, I'm willing to change my mind. If he can provide the link, I'd like to read about it.

I did search and the only instance of a T5 failure was when they bought a 2TB size and it got corrupted. They reformatted and partitioned for only 1TB for the sentry mode and it ran fine. Can you provide the link where a T5 got the "too slow" error?

The search function is fairly awful here... but sduck appears to mostly confirm what I'm telling you if you don't care to brave it.

But here's one to get you started-
Sentry said car alarm went off, but video was corrupted and no signs of damage?

Two different SSD users, including the OP with a T5, with corrupted sentry video.

Tons more if you wanna dig through the awful search feature (and it doesn't help some of the pages and pages and pages of results will be about issues with the T5 (or SSDs in general) and some wireless chargers rather than anything to do with direct dashcam issues)

The search function is fairly awful here... but sduck appears to mostly confirm what I'm telling you if you don't care to brave it.

But here's one to get you started-
Sentry said car alarm went off, but video was corrupted and no signs of damage?

Two different SSD users, including the OP with a T5, with corrupted sentry video.

Tons more if you wanna dig through the awful search feature (and it doesn't help some of the pages and pages and pages of results will be about issues with the T5 (or SSDs in general) and some wireless chargers rather than anything to do with direct dashcam issues)

I’ve searched a ton and have yet to see any evidence that a T5 has ever experienced the dreaded too slow error. You keep discrediting the T5 saying you’ve seen T5s have this error but you don’t provide the evidence to support your claim. Really draws in question your credibility when you don’t provide the evidence, any evidence that this particular error occurs in the T5 when you’ve repeatedly claimed that the T5 is the same as other USBs eventually. You should confirm whether you’ve seen this error in the T5 in this forum and provide the link or don’t comment on the T5 having this error in the future.

Please, start using ssd instead of T5, you'll sound much more credible. The T5 is a specific brand of ssd, but there are many other ssd's on the market and that are used by us that work just as well.

That was intentional. I know other SSDs work but I don't know if they all the same quality, specs, or reliability of the T5 Samsung drive. I can't specifically recommend all SSDs as I don't know if there have been failures or the slow error on the other brands.

Reactions: V__2
It's easy enough to read the specs and reviews, and they all work roughly the same. The differences are much smaller than the similarities. I have 2 external ssd's, one is a sandisk, the other is by caldigit. They work identically as far as the car is concerned. I've never gotten any errors or speed warnings or the like with either. Incidentally, the one speed error warning I saw for a ssd was a samsung T5 a few weeks ago.

In my research, i find almost none with the speed error and way less errors overall with SSD. Knightshade's insistence that SSD had the same failure rates as the USB drives seems extremely inconsistent with my research so I wanted proof of his claims. I still maintain that SSD is a much better solution than USB simply looking at the evidence on these forums. I've run the SSD for 4 months now and not a single error...which is much better than the last USB Samsung drive I had.

I think one of the benefits of the T5 is it fits into the Jeda hub in the area designed for drives.

Personally, I think an SSD is overkill. I put a 256GB thumb drive in with no issues and it was only $32 at Costco. I believe there are two reasons for limited failure reports of SSDs here on TMC:
  1. There are far fewer of them in use than other storage devices
  2. They are larger capacity, requiring fewer overwrites (if any). I know on paper, this should make as much of a difference; it is just my speculation.
I am going to assume that the physical media used in SSDs is of a higher quality than thumb drives: I heard that from professionals in the know, but it has been a while since I heard that - I only assume it is still true. But with a larger thumb drive, the difference should be negligible to non-existent.

Reactions: Electroman
In my research, i find almost none with the speed error and way less errors overall with SSD. Knightshade's insistence that SSD had the same failure rates as the USB drives seems extremely inconsistent with my research so I wanted proof of his claims. I still maintain that SSD is a much better solution than USB simply looking at the evidence on these forums. I've run the SSD for 4 months now and not a single error...which is much better than the last USB Samsung drive I had.
What research have you done beyond your single data point?

My research shows a zero failure rate of my thumb drive.

In my research, i find almost none with the speed error and way less errors overall with SSD. Knightshade's insistence that SSD had the same failure rates as the USB drives seems extremely inconsistent with my research so I wanted proof of his claims.

My primary claim is all these issues folks have raised across every type of flash storage are (excluding the few folks who got defective HW) a software problem.

The most obvious evidence- besides most issues clearing up as software gets updated (or in case of too slow being INTRODUCED by software updates) is the example I already gave you.

The owner who had two Teslas.

One with a too slow error, the other without.

So he swapped the storage.

The problem STAYED WITH THE SAME CAR.

Instead of following the storage device.

Because it's a software problem

I still maintain that SSD is a much better solution than USB simply looking at the evidence on these forums.

Weird- because the evidence doesn't really support that.

Also the specs show your SSD has a much more narrow operating temp range than many of the USB keys and flash cards recommended.

SSDs are simply used by a lot less people, so overall there's fewer reports of issues. But they still HAVE the issues.

Because, again, it's a software problem

I've run the SSD for 4 months now and not a single error...which is much better than the last USB Samsung drive I had.

I've run my samsung USB drive for over 3 times longer than you've run your SSD, with 0 errors, for 1/3rd the price.

If we're gonna pretend anecdotes are data, mine wins :)

BTW, I happened across a guy who recently got the 40.x update.

USB / Dashcam fault issue fixed with 40.1.1 : teslamotors

He'd been getting too slow errors on his USB flash device until then.

The update fixed it.

(40.x only rolled in large #s in the last few days- so too early to say if it fixed it for a LOT of people.... but it's even more evidence this is a software issue, not HW)