Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU replacement new or old?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my old MCU replaced due to it being faulty. The new one is Model NA premium 1045006-00-D. Would they replace my older model with the same “older” MCU or would they replace it with the new updated hardware?

My MCU1 died on June 19. It wouldn't power on no matter what. I couldn't even charge because the car was stuck in Scheduled charging mode. Not even the Supercharger bypassed it.

It took about 10 days to get my car back because as usual, the part wasn't available. My car was out of warranty so I had to pony up $2270.50 for the replacement. I hoped for an MCU2 but it was an MCU1.

invoice.png

I wonder why my MCU part number is different than yours.

My MCU1 died on June 19. It wouldn't power on no matter what. I couldn't even charge because the car was stuck in Scheduled charging mode. Not even the Supercharger bypassed it.

It took about 10 days to get my car back because as usual, the part wasn't available. My car was out of warranty so I had to pony up $2270.50 for the replacement. I hoped for an MCU2 but it was an MCU1.

View attachment 316289

YIKES! Yours was WAY worse than mine... since mine still mostly works I'm considering just using my iPhone for Navigation and holding out for MCU2. Is your new unit any better than your old one before it broke? Looks like you got a 'B' and I'm getting a 'C'... My VIN is 3297; our cars are practically siblings... may have been on the line at the same time... our MCUs were probably from the same batch... Hmmmm

Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 9.58.04 PM.png

Reactions: TSLC
YIKES! Yours was WAY worse than mine... since mine still mostly works I'm considering just using my iPhone for Navigation and holding out for MCU2. Is your new unit any better than your old one before it broke? Looks like you got a 'B' and I'm getting a 'C'... My VIN is 3297; our cars are practically siblings... may have been on the line at the same time... our MCUs were probably from the same batch... Hmmmm

View attachment 316291

My new MCU feels the same as my original unit.

• Informative
Reactions: Michelx and nwdiver

View attachment 316289

Mine was replaced (for the second time in three months) last week. I have a Dec 2016 P100D. Part number on the warranty invoice is : SERVICE MCU KIT - NORTH AMERICA 1 (1452455-00-C) . Per the “What’s my agent” site noted above, mine does not ID as intel, thus I assume it is a replacement with the older MCU.

Just as an FYI, I just got my MCU replaced ("MCU not measuring supplied HVAC rail voltage properly"), something the service center noticed when attempting to do a coolant flush. It's MCU1 (based on teslatap.com/mcu which shows "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; GNU/Linux) AppleWebKit/601.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Tesla QtCarBrowser Safari/601.1").

The MCU1 part number on the invoice is one I haven't seen in this thread (it is in another): "SERVICE MCU KIT - NORTH AMERICA 1 (1458829-00-B)". This is for a 2014 Model S85.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
There we go again. MCU1 cars _always_ get a MCU1 when they need to be replaced. You will _not_ be upgraded to MCU2

MCU2 requires:
- New wiring harnass
- New IC (screen behind steering wheel, with MCU2 it is a second screen to the MCU, with MCU1 it is a separate computer)
- New mirror assembly (has additional antenna's for 5G WiFi and Bluetooth)

it is impossible to upgrade a MCU1 car to MCU2 without lots of labor and lots of new parts. Especially the new wiring harnass will require removal of _lots_ of trim pieces and will take a considerably amount of labor hours. Replacing a wiring harnass will also require extensive testing to ensure everything works, adding up the labor hours.

• Disagree
Reactions: EVSteve
...MCU2 requires:
- New wiring harness (sic)
- New IC (screen behind steering wheel, with MCU2 it is a second screen to the MCU, with MCU1 it is a separate computer)
- New mirror assembly (has additional antenna's for 5G WiFi and Bluetooth)...
We don't actually know what an MCU upgrade will entail since we have not seen one. It is possible Tesla would support a wiring harness adapter, leave the old IC and skip Bluetooth.

Reactions: EVSteve
We don't actually know what an MCU upgrade will entail since we have not seen one. It is possible Tesla would support a wiring harness adapter, leave the old IC and skip Bluetooth.

I've said this elsewhere before, but I do not believe this will happen. It will create a technical and CPO nightmare. Lets say you upgrade your car to MCU2, but you skip bluetooth and 5G. And let me start by saying that Elon tweeted there are plans to do phone unlock in the S/X like in the M3 for cars with MCU2, see:

Elon Musk says the Model S and Model X will soon get a long-awaited feature that the Model 3 already has

Now, lets say you upgraded to MCU2, but you skipped the wiring harness and thus you do not have Bluetooth. Also, you do not have 5G WiFi.

Now, both Bluetooth and 5G WiFi will have to be turned off in software. Otherwise you might just have very poor reception, causing issues (such as failed band steering on WiFi). This will require software changes in firmware, which will costs Tesla development time. Also, the Bluetooth phone key feature will not work for you.

Now you sell this car to Tesla, and Tesla will need to sell this car as a CPO.

Here is when the drama begins. Tesla will have to mention that:

- This is a frankenstein car with a half-upgraded MCU
- The car should have 5G WiFi, but its not connected, so its not working
- Bluetooth unlock is not working, as the upgrade was half-baked.

And:

- Regarding your 'use old IC' comment: Tesla will have to add the possibility of using the old IC with the new MCU in their firmware, which will require additional testing for each release. It also adds additional complexity which, for Tesla, has absolutely zero benefit. 0.

Effectively you have upgraded a fully functional car to a car with a faster screen, but with lots of features that are none functional. For Tesla it means additional complexity for future repairs, registration (as all these changes will have to be registered somewhere), etc.

If I were Tesla, I would never let this happen. It creates a technical nightmare, both for Tesla (as it will need to disable modems in software, add firmware complexity) as well as for future customers that buy these CPO and expect things to just work.

I can already imagine the threads here 'I bought a CPO and my bluetooth isn't working!', only to be told 'Yeah someone didn't want to do a full upgrade to your car in the past'. If I was the owner of that CPO I would not be happy.

_IF_ (and that is still a big IF) Tesla will offer MCU2 upgrades, it will be a complete and functional upgrade. I'll bet a few bucks they will not perform half-upgrades.

Reactions: Akikiki
As far as I know all replaced MCUs are being repaired whenever possible and reused. Also, failed MCUs are not very common. Its mostly the screens or digitizers that have issues (yellow banding, bubbling, etc). Some MCU issues with worn-out memory chips, but those can be replaced and then reflashed.

When Tesla does run out of MCU1's, I'm sure they will think of a solution.

Reactions: Akikiki