Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Media Player Radio Dead and Bluetooth Oddity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
So today three things happened and I wonder if they are all related.

First, the radio stopped working. It just has no sound, and I can't change the station -- not with shortcuts nor with direct tune. A reboot of the center screen didn't fix the problem.

Second, and I found this quite odd, the music played by my iPhone through bluetooth connected to the car will now only play while the music app is open on the phone. As soon as the music app closes, the music stops. This has never happened before in my last 2 years of ownership; generally, the only thing that stops the music is if you manually tell it to stop or some other phone app like the browser steals the sound by trying to play an ad or something. Could this be related or did I just have separate unrelated incidents coincide at the same time? I guess I should try a phone restart as well; could be a problem with the iPhone too I guess.

Third, I got a message on the center console that a software update is required and I should contact Tesla. That seemed odd. A message of a problem and to contact Tesla is not odd. A software update is not odd. But the two combined is.

Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on any of this.

This is on a 2014 Tesla Model S P85.