Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We assume leaks like this are 100 percent deliberate right?
1708891493868.png

Looks like Tesla legal might have got it pulled pretty quickly so don't think it's supposed to go out yet. Cannot be long now though.

Reactions: cptnslo
I don’t think Tesla legal has any control over Reddit. Can’t imagine Reddit bowing to anyone. It’s a public forum. That said the moderators might pull it if they thought it was a fake and misleading.
Reddit bows down to corporate requests all the time. The tesla forums in particular are all moderated by Tesla sycophants and investors, so they're more likely to listen to a Tesla request

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Guess maybe it’s wrong way of putting it but it stops the power dropping off at higher rpm’s like it does without it. This is why the Plaid doesn't drop off in performance at higher speeds but the Model 3 Performance does. This is even worse because at higher speeds you have more aerodynamic drag to overcome so the drop off in hp you get makes this worse.

To those that say no point adding it to the car, I think there's plenty of point. I'm not even sure that it would cost them a lot more to do this, other than the machines they need to buy / build to create them. I suspect they've got better at this and can do it cheaper than when the Plaid first came out.
There is no point in putting TWO Plaid motors in the rear of a Model 3.

Also, the newer Model S LR cars don’t drop much power at fairly high speeds even without Plaid motors. They can accomplish a lot in a Model 3 simply with the newer Model S LR drivetrain. They wouldn’t need the whole Plaid drivetrain.

Reactions: cptnslo

Also, the newer Model S LR cars don’t drop much power at fairly high speeds even without Plaid motors. They can accomplish a lot in a Model 3 simply with the newer Model S LR drivetrain. They wouldn’t need the whole Plaid drivetrain.
The power in the MS LR doesn't drop because it has the same battery as the Plaid. It can deliver 800+ kW, so it's only limited by the motors. The power output from the smaller M3 battery is going to be the limiting factor.

Reactions: Sweed269

I never said they'd put two in and I think it's pretty clear that won't be the case. The battery cannot generate enough power to drive them so it would be a waste.

I think what we are going to be looking at here will be a smallish bump in power and the car not dropping off as much on its pulling power at higher speeds. That small bump in power could let them claim a sub 3 second 0-60 with rollout which is a great marketing point.

If it doesn't have more power, it's not worthy of changing the name from Performance to Ludicrous.

Reddit bows down to corporate requests all the time. The tesla forums in particular are all moderated by Tesla sycophants and investors, so they're more likely to listen to a Tesla request
I don’t have any insight one way or the other. But it seems very strange that Reddit would care. The mods can do whatever they want. It looks like it was removed by the mods. Is it still up in elon owned Twitter?

The power in the MS LR doesn't drop because it has the same battery as the Plaid. It can deliver 800+ kW, so it's only limited by the motors. The power output from the smaller M3 battery is going to be the limiting factor.
The motors - particularly the front, are a big part of the problem with the model 3 power drop. The MS/MX LR are only at around 350v / 1400A at their peak, which really isn't that far off from what the MYP does (MYP allows a tiny bit more current than M3P).

1708893991783.png

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Tesla only charges a few hundred bucks more for the front plaid motor (carbon wrapped) than the front LR motor (not carbon wrapped), so agreed they can do that upgrade for minimal cost.

If those old docs are anything to go by, sounds like they’re keeping the old induction front motor which is a bit of a shame since that seemed to be responsible for the bulk of the high speed power drop off. But maybe they could make up for it by cranking more power to the rear as the speed increases. The plaid front motor (5D1 which is supposedly going into the new performance rear) can officially do 314kW, thiugh in real life you tend to see more like 220ish when there’s no torque redistribution going on
That's a very good point I'd not thought of. If both motors make more power than the battery is capable of running. Then as the front motor is dropping off you can shift more power to the rear to make up for it.

I just hope they update the S Plaid at the same time. Ive wanted a faster 3 for a long time and will probably instantly order this but if they come out with an S Plaid+ with adjustable wing and full track package I’ll be sad I didn’t wait for that. 😂 I love the 3 but do I want to own three 3s in a row??? …..probably.

On the wheels, while I love the look of the Ubers they sure are heavy. 19” is really ideal for a true sports car. I’m sure they’ll have a track package eventually.

I just hope they update the S Plaid at the same time. Ive wanted a faster 3 for a long time and will probably instantly order this but if they come out with an S Plaid+ with adjustable wing and full track package I’ll be sad I didn’t wait for that. 😂 I love the 3 but do I want to own three 3s in a row??? …..probably.
The 3 is so fun to throw into corners and dart around in…just needs MOAR top end pull!!!!

Reactions: phantasms