Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
86E52A01-7226-43ED-BD10-B72B80B66322.png
ABE86C66-0A57-45CB-B381-347C8142E804.png
00BEF643-88ED-4553-8197-0A80CB77A1D9.png

18650 has a higher amp draw then the 21700.
It's already stupid fast and the battery is already at its limit. Both from amp draw and thermals.
Slightly faster is all that can be expected. I hope they spent some time making the suspension better as there are real word gain there with almost no downsides.
I talked with one of the engineers on the 4680 project and he said it might match but would never exceed the thermals or amp C rating of the smaller batteries.
It should match the density through and be cheaper overall to build into a pack.

18650 has a higher amp draw then the 21700.
It's already stupid fast and the battery is already at its limit. Both from amp draw and thermals.
Slightly faster is all that can be expected. I hope they spent some time making the suspension better as there are real word gain there with almost no downsides.
The new 4680 battery is even slower than the 2170 isn’t it? Kinda hoping model 3 never gets it

The new 4680 battery is even slower than the 2170 isn’t it? Kinda hoping model 3 never gets it
Maybe for the next generation Model 3. Chassis redesign with castings, 100kWh structural pack, aluminum subframes and suspension.

Something I'd really like to see is the Performance get additional welds/adhesive/stiffeners similar to the way BMW and others do their sport models.

The Model 3 is weak in the rear deck area and I added structural adhesive to fix a chassis creak on my 22 3P. I examined a Highland closely and it had the same 'defects' in that area as my car and probably a lot of others.

• Love
Reactions: Adam3
Why do they keep downgrading their batteries in the power department
Cost, lifespan, assembly time. Sure we'd all love a Model 3 Ludicrous with 4,416 Moli P50B cells, but how many would actually shell out the extra cash for such an insane battery pack?

Because power density and energy density are always in competition.
Power = accleleration
Energy = range

Tesla does better if they can maximize range, and larger cells with less support material is better for that, but worse for thermal and power management at high power.

For instance, the Corvette E-Ray uses something like a 1.5kWh pack, but it can discharge 200HP+.
The trade is that it weighs 300 lbs, so if you made a 80kWh Model 3 using it, the battery would weigh more than our whole cars.

I'm more interested in the weight, bucket seats, and acceleration beyond 60mph. Those are all things that actually matter for performance on a track or in a motorsports setting and where the current model struggles.

I'm speculating 2.9 to 60 and 10.9 quarter mile at 125mph.

Power = accleleration
Energy = range

Tesla does better if they can maximize range, and larger cells with less support material is better for that, but worse for thermal and power management at high power.

For instance, the Corvette E-Ray uses something like a 1.5kWh pack, but it can discharge 200HP+.
The trade is that it weighs 300 lbs, so if you made a 80kWh Model 3 using it, the battery would weigh more than our whole cars.
2170 seems like perfect balance in power and range to me

Pick your poison.
Energy density or power density. Added Longevity hits both power and energy.
It's a balancing act and the bigger battery is easier/cheaper to build into a pack.
Price per performance of the model 3/y is crazy good. It's also the performance envelope that most people use.
The step up to a limited expensive battery for more performance is a move into Porsche territory and their battery longevity is questionable in my opinion.
Tesla is giving us a killer car at a very competitive price point. Others need to fill in the more premium segments at significant extra cost.

Power = accleleration
Energy = range

Looks like the E-Ray has 1.9 kWh and it outputs 160 HP. The battery pack does weigh a lot though.

IMG_4457.jpeg

IMG_4458.jpeg

Looks like the E-Ray has 1.9 kWh and it outputs 160 HP. The battery pack does weigh a lot though.
Yes, we had this discussion 3 months ago:

Reactions: mpgxsvcd