Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 "Performance Brake Calipers" just red or different altogether?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also believe the linkage is different. So even if the discs and calipers do fit within a 19" wheel - the other hardware may not. But again, that's just an opinion. Until I jack up this car and take measurements, I can't truly confirm.

-b0n3z

This picture shows the standard rear brake (335mm) clearance to the stock 18" wheel barrel, not a lot but it does clear.

As far as I know (with all researches), unlike the front brake, Tesla keeps the same rear brake for all model 3 regardless it's a base model or PUP.

rear_oe_caliper_clearance_115708e8633a87a6d58bd4d58c6d752edb765b99.png

It has already been confirmed to be a different rear brake.

After looking at @b0n3z pictures of the rear calipers even more, I tried looking for brembo calipers that look similar.
It's interesting because from the outside view you can only see one piece. This is normally the case for fixed calipers with piston(s) in the inside and outside half, but it doesn't appear there is space for a piston in this case. That means it should be a sliding type caliper, but sliding type calipers typically have a fixed piece surrounding the sliding piece, similar to the AMG picture provided by @Warren-RB . This isn't the case for the performance upgrade rear caliper, which again only has one piece visible from the outside.

Anyway, I googled brembo calipers and found the following new product that brembo announced in April of last year.
Latest Brembo calipers are a lesson in lightweight packaging

It appears that this could be the technology used for these rear calipers with just a change in aesthetics. What do you guys think?
Looking forward to @b0n3z or someone with the performance upgrade brakes taking a wheel off and getting some pictures all around the calipers.

• Informative
Reactions: mongo
After looking at @b0n3z pictures of the rear calipers even more, I tried looking for brembo calipers that look similar.
It's interesting because from the outside view you can only see one piece. This is normally the case for fixed calipers with piston(s) in the inside and outside half, but it doesn't appear there is space for a piston in this case. That means it should be a sliding type caliper, but sliding type calipers typically have a fixed piece surrounding the sliding piece, similar to the AMG picture provided by @Warren-RB . This isn't the case for the performance upgrade rear caliper, which again only has one piece visible from the outside.

Anyway, I googled brembo calipers and found the following new product that brembo announced in April of last year.
Latest Brembo calipers are a lesson in lightweight packaging

It appears that this could be the technology used for these rear calipers with just a change in aesthetics. What do you guys think?
Looking forward to @b0n3z or someone with the performance upgrade brakes taking a wheel off and getting some pictures all around the calipers.
That would be pretty cool. I just wish they would release specifics

damn now i kinda want to go back to the base performance model and just get autopilot instead....if i only knew for sure i still get track mode on the standard P3D
I hear ya. Now I wish I didn’t fuss with Tesla to add the PUP while honoring my old pricing.

First time I asked them, they said no to upgrade without a change fee. Maybe I should have quit then lol.

So, @SD_Engnr 's first pic does look somewhat like the Brembo ECS calipers, which are used for the Alpine A110 rear brakes. You can see the black gearmotor and the hole for the hydraulic line in the same location as the performance upgrade calipers.

BREMBO-ECS-caliper.jpg

Something else interesting is it appears the Alpine A110 may be using these calipers in lieu of a mechanical differential.
If it turns out the performance upgrade brakes are similar, could these calipers be utilized for "track mode"?
Hmmmmm.

Alpine A110: 1080kg sports car shown in production form – Geneva 2017
"There’s no mechanical limited slip diff, with Alpine opting for a brake-based e-diff. "

Alpine A110 (2018) review: simply the best
"A mechanical limited-slip differential isn’t included. Instead, the ESC-based braking helps to juggle torque between the rear wheels."

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
So, @SD_Engnr 's first pic does look somewhat like the Brembo ECS calipers, which are used for the Alpine A110 rear brakes. You can see the black gearmotor and the hole for the hydraulic line in the same location as the performance upgrade calipers.

View attachment 325113

Something else interesting is it appears the Alpine A110 may be using these calipers in lieu of a mechanical differential.
If it turns out the performance upgrade brakes are similar, could these calipers be utilized for "track mode"?
Hmmmmm.

Alpine A110: 1080kg sports car shown in production form – Geneva 2017
"There’s no mechanical limited slip diff, with Alpine opting for a brake-based e-diff. "

Alpine A110 (2018) review: simply the best
"A mechanical limited-slip differential isn’t included. Instead, the ESC-based braking helps to juggle torque between the rear wheels."

Tesla uses an open differential with the brakes/ESC to handle slip on S,X,and 3.