Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would anyone need air conditioned seats? All you need to do is pre-condition the car for half an hour. Once the car is cool the seats will be too. :cool:

I'm not saying heated steering wheels are stupid and people should stop talking about it. But I don't care about it because it's something I may never need. Trying to beat swamp a** is a daily occurrence for half of the year in Florida.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
I'm not saying heated steering wheels are stupid and people should stop talking about it. But I don't care about it because it's something I may never need. Trying to beat swamp a** is a daily occurrence for half of the year in Florida.

We need to fight cold hands and swamp A** wherever we find it...Come on Tesla ... BMW, Mercedes, and Audi all have these options:D

I'd gladly pay $6k for the current premium package + AC seats. Essentially $1k for AC seats would be worth it, easily. Pre-cooling the car will help, but that seat is still going to retain a good amount of heat even after 5-10 minutes of pre-cooling.

That is an excellent point. People arguing against heated steering wheels (who aren't from SoCal/ FL/ HI) have never tried them. I definitely gave an eyeroll when my parents were talking about them years ago, but eventually I got a car with it, and now I totally understand.

• They can save a boatload of energy (seriously with heated seats and steering wheel the cabin can be like 20 degrees colder in comfort)
  • helps warm you up WAY faster than a car's heater can,
  • don't require you to use "touchscreen enabled" gloves (has anyone ever found a pair that are warm, work well for touch, are comfortable, and provide decent tactile feel for ANY price?)
  • adds basically an extra level of dual climate zones (can finally keep the overall temp of the car reasonable with wife driving)
If you're going to argue against it, are you also arguing against heated seats? why have a heater at all? heck, why heat up the whole windshield when you only need to heat up the camera lenses?

Totally agree.

In addition, heated steering wheel is not longer a luxury feature. Even the $20k+ Toyota Corolla has it as an option.

Reactions: GSP
The assumption would be from the order configurator form that only employees have been able to see so far. It would be odd for someone to fake all that just to mess with us. I am assuming it is likely real.
Yes, I've finally seen this on the Model 3 Owners Twitter feed (courtesy of Tesla Tidbits) with the comment that it came from an employee. Sorry for any confusion on my part but what's so weird is that Tesla is being so secretive about trivial details like this.

Why keep secret that Homelink is included or that Airwave is their 'brand' for the air mixing scheme. That the base comes with heated seats. That (we assume now, with these details) there is no heated steering wheel.

You can call it anti-selling but those of us that have reservations need data! :D

Glad to see this has been confirmed as valid information!

You don't see the value of a feature that uses perhaps 300-400 watts tops that can warm your frigid hands in the winter and reduce the need to crank the 6-8 kW heater in an all-electric vehicle? o_O
I'm not against a heated steering wheel by any means, but if your hands are that cold won't the rest of your body be cold too? When I get done scrapping ice off the windshield I want to warm up my entire body, not just my hands, so the heater would be on anyway.

Edit - Maybe makes sense for people who naturally have cold hands, or when it's a little cold but not freezing cold, then warming up just your hands instead of the entire car would be preferable.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
They can save a boatload of energy (seriously with heated seats and steering wheel the cabin can be like 20 degrees colder in comfort)

Care to share your math? In particular, what did you use for the thermal mass of the steering wheel and seat? And the heat transfer from them to the air, and other components of the car?

Thank you kindly.