Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My read on Elon's comments about Plaid deliveries is he was referring to the Plaid platform, not Plaid versus LR. He spoke of the issues with the "Plaid Model S, the Palladium program."

Here is my transcription of the MS/X part of the call:
  • 19:12 into the replay: With respect to the MS/X there are more challenges than expected in developing the Plaid model S, the Palladium program, which is the new version of the MS/X which has a revised interior and um a new battery pack and new drive units and new internal electronics um and and has for example a PS5-level infotainment system um there are just a lot of a lot of issues encountered um ensuring that the new battery is as super safe is quite hard because we’re packing more engineering into a smaller case.
  • So it took quite a bit of um of a development to ensure that the new battery of the S/X is safe um and then we’re trying to get all the details… [7 seconds of gap in audio (Watergate?)] in the cars slowly for the past few months and we’re just stacking them up in the yard and and and just making refinements to the cars that we built but we do expect um to ramp MS production and start delivering them probably a next month um and so and then to be in sort of fairly high volume production for the S in in Q3. And start delivering the model X in Q3 as well.
  • So um I think as we as we ramp up I think probably the demand for the new MS/X will be quite high so it will really just be a question of ramping supply chain and internal production processes and so probably oh we’re going to aim to try to produce >2K S/X per week. Perhaps if we get lucky upwards of 2.4K or 2.5K. Um the the gain is contingent on global supply chain issues which just a lot of factors outside of our control here. These things will get solved and it is just a matter of time. We’ll be doing over 2K/week. It is a great car. It actually costs us a little bit less to produce but it is a superior product.

My read on Elon's comments about Plaid deliveries is he was referring to the Plaid platform, not Plaid versus LR. He spoke of the issues with the "Plaid Model S, the Palladium program."

• 19:12 into the replay: With respect to the MS/X there are more challenges than expected in developing the Plaid model S, the Palladium program, which is the new version of the MS/X which has a revised interior and um a new battery pack and new drive units and new internal electronics um and and has for example a PS5-level infotainment system um there are just a lot of a lot of issues encountered um ensuring that the new battery is as super safe is quite hard because we’re packing more engineering into a smaller case.
  • So it took quite a bit of um of a development to ensure that the new battery of the S/X is safe um and then we’re trying to get all the details… [7 seconds of gap in audio (Watergate?)] in the cars slowly for the past few months and we’re just stacking them up in the yard and and and just making refinements to the cars that we built but we do expect um to ramp MS production and start delivering them probably a next month um and so and then to be in sort of fairly high volume production for the S in in Q3. And start delivering the model X in Q3 as well.
  • So um I think as we as we ramp up I think probably the demand for the new MS/X will be quite high so it will really just be a question of ramping supply chain and internal production processes and so probably oh we’re going to aim to try to produce >2K S/X per week. Perhaps if we get lucky upwards of 2.4K or 2.5K. Um the the gain is contingent on global supply chain issues which just a lot of factors outside of our control here. These things will get solved and it is just a matter of time. We’ll be doing over 2K/week. It is a great car. It actually costs us a little bit less to produce but it is a superior product.
Really wondering what was in that 7 seconds.

Anyone else think that Elon's comments of a smaller case imply a smaller (<100kwh) battery size? Assuming they've already packed the current case to the brim with cells, that would mesh well with the improved efficiency not resulting in a higher range.

Also seems odd to me that they would bother redesigning the battery on the S when they've got the 4680 cells right on the horizon.

Anyone else think that Elon's comments of a smaller case imply a smaller (<100kwh) battery size? Assuming they've already packed the current case to the brim with cells, that would mesh well with the improved efficiency not resulting in a higher range.

Also seems odd to me that they would bother redesigning the battery on the S when they've got the 4680 cells right on the horizon.

4680's won't be in volume production for a long while, and then those will probably go to the Cybertruck and Semi first, and maybe Plaid+. They already have a bunch of production and contracts for 18650's, no reason to stop using those batteries.

Reactions: FutureShock

I really feel like some of ya'll are ****ing with me at this point.

Also, I think ole' Elon just misspoke, as clearly the LR has every component but the third motor with carbon sleeved rotors, that we know of.

And, yes, the battery is smaller.

They must have rearranged the modules to allow for better cooling and higher output (maybe higher voltage) as well as improving the polar moment of inertia by bringing more weight in the center of the pack (has a big effect on handling particularly on the track)... Yes it may mean slightly less Wh in the pack but hard to know at this point. In any case that was enough to call for new crash tests which may be when they realized they needed to redesign some element of said pack. We’ll know in a month (or three).

Hey - I'm thinking of changing my exterior color to red - has anyone changed just colors that lived to tell the tale of what happens to the order status?

Also - would anyone think I'm cooler if I have a red exterior vs a white exterior?

At this point, my SA would say it could change it since they make them in batches but should not really change it. Just get what you want - so what if it delays another month or so.

Also, I pretty sure everyone here thinks you are the coolest already.

I'm thinking that Elon may have been talking about the front and rear castings on the MS/X during the gap in the audio. The "stacking them up in the yard" might not be talking about full cars but the castings instead.

I am not sure that is a completely correct interpretation. Palladium was the codename for the refresh as a whole. AFAIK, the pack is the same for both the LR and the Plaid, with difference being different/more drive units, different harnesses and maybe some other electronics. Perhaps the safety issues only manifested themselves on the Plaid with its higher draw.

Reactions: TNGuy99 and T-Racer