Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if you're looking at used 2022s, you need to take the average price after you factor in mileage and options. That average price isn't low enough currently to justify not buying the new vehicle.
We have gems like this by me. 3 years old and priced higher than new. 😅
1706036052607.png

• Funny
Reactions: teko and aerodyne
I haven't see this as a whole. In any year/price range, you'll see s wide range of prices. My experience with used car buying in the past is that the lowest prices a model with specific options for a year tend to have the most issues that aren't advertised with the vehicle, hence the reason for pricing below the average.

So if you're looking at used 2022s, you need to take the average price after you factor in mileage and options. That average price isn't low enough currently to justify not buying the new vehicle.

Also, buying used makes it a lot hard to invoke the lemon law. Having just gone through a buyback with Tesla on my MXP, the last thing I want is to be found in the same situation, but if for some reason lightening strikes twice, I don't want to have my options limited.
After about 10-15k miles wouldn't we know it's probably a lemon? Also eh I think the pricing at this moment especially with Tesla being lower is because people are actually thinking exactly what you are. The pricing isn't low enough that's why a lot of used Teslas are just sitting. Some dealers are pricing to sell and others aren't ready to cut their losses. A thorough test drive on a used should give you all the answers you need. I don't think there's right or wrong on this I was really just asking the question though

We have gems like this by me. 3 years old and priced higher than new. 😅
View attachment 1011544
That's probably an old listing OR the person isn't trying to cut their losses. A quick search will debunk that high of a price though if you're willing to ship or travel to a car

That's probably an old listing OR the person isn't trying to cut their losses. A quick search will debunk that high of a price though if you're willing to ship or travel to a car

Yeah, maybe the owner is driving it around. Sure, it's listed for sale....

I hear that Tesla is more willing to do a buyback once, but the second time might be much harder. I didn't find a single lawyer that was willing to take on my buyback case. I just got lucky that Tesla was willing to do it without legal pressure.

2 of the firms I called didn't want to take it because I hadn't opted out of binding arbitration. The 3rd did. I won't make the mistake again of not sending in my opt out within the first 30 days.

After about 10-15k miles wouldn't we know it's probably a lemon?

The ORIGINAL owner would know it's a lemon but they most likely are cutting their losses rather than suing while the third party dealer may not have a clue.

If you buy used, make sure to only buy from the original owner directly and have them show you then entire service history in the app plus PDF copies of each visit. You can't see past 10 visits, so if there are more than that, I'd probably pass unless the last 10 visits you can see are not due to ongoing or a plethora of issues.

Reactions: Jayskywalker21
The ORIGINAL owner would know it's a lemon but they most likely are cutting their losses rather than suing while the third party dealer may not have a clue.

If you buy used, make sure to only buy from the original owner directly and have them show you then entire service history in the app plus PDF copies of each visit. You can't see past 10 visits, so if there are more than that, I'd probably pass unless the last 10 visits you can see are not due to ongoing or a plethora of issues.
Thanks for the incite, I have been buying all my cars used and not buying from original owners usually I just get a PPI and ask for paperwork if dealer has it. I haven't had any issues maybe I'm due for a bad vehicle lol

Do we know the usual build cycle interval? Maybe nothing is unusual and they just build cars for export at the start of the quarter. That would explain no VIN assignments for the past three weeks. We know they were building cars as recently as 12/28/23. That would be a less exciting explanation of the current delay.
I don’t have the data on the historical yearly transition shut down length, so I couldn’t say if it’s typically more or less than the 3-ish weeks we’ve seen so far here in January. It is significantly later than last year, but there are certainly other possible reasons for that.

There may also be other reasons why they seemingly haven’t built and/or released Plaid at same time as LR.

They may also have reasons they’ve driven down US inventory further than last year.

I am, however, asserting that a significant change in Plaid is one plausible situation that would drive these strategies. Not probable though, and perhaps not smart if Tesla doesn’t want customers waiting on model year changes going forward.

Last edited:
Tesla buyers are only group of buyers I've ever seen buy a car based entirely on speculation of a change, and then complain when that change doesn't occur - if you want certain options/features on your car, buy the car when those options/features appear in new deliveries

every new Tesla should come with a guided meditation course in mindfulness on appreciating the present
Because Tesla does not hold updates for model year changes (most of the time), so we are stuck speculating.

There are great deals on 2021 MS Plaids in the $60s. Some high mileage cars are dipping into the $50s.

Because Tesla does not hold updates for model year changes (most of the time), so we are stuck speculating.

There are great deals on 2021 MS Plaids in the $60s. Some high mileage cars are dipping into the $50s.

When I search for all 2021 MSPs within 500 miles of the Bay Area, 18 come up. The lowest priced one is $68K with 51K miles. The prices go up from there up to $95K for one that has 26K miles.

Based on every single one of these 18 Plaids, buying new is no brainer by comparison.

So please share some links of Plaids in the high 50s? If it's just one or two, they're outliers and there's something wrong with them.

Strange that the Bay Area has inventory when selecting "all deliverable" which goes out quite a distance has just 4 MSPs with no LRs and and S's at all for 2024. You'd think that with low inventory, new '24 inventory would trickle into Bay Area locations first as the transportation costs are low and the incomes are high.

Reactions: dn325ci
Where? I’m nationwide searching on cargugurus and this is the ONLY one with a 5 at the beginning, it also has wood interior trim that someone swapped in View attachment 1011589
There was a CF shortage in 2021. Tesla offered many new plaid buyers the option to get wood trim to expedite delivery.