Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Rooted v11.0 2022.8.10.5 drive unit replacement problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first post, doing this as a way to hopefully find a solution and help others who may be in a similar situation.

I bought a 2012 Model S, rooted to v11.0 2022.8.10.5, with a failed drive unit (coolant flooded). I have replaced the drive unit with a working replacement (from a 2018; 1025598-00-T) and completed a custom coolant delete. I have since installed the drive unit and now need to apply a firmware redeployment to "recalibrate" the drive unit to match the rest of the car.

Problem is, I am struggling to find a way to do it. I have tried the following:
-Software update on the MCU1 does not work (I get an "unknown error", likely because the car is rooted)
-Toolbox 3 won't fully connect and I get a "Vehicle failed to provide VIN: ValueError('Unable to load certificate ...[long https address]')" error (I think this error is occurred because the car is rooted and 2022.8.10.5 is not supported by toolbox 3 and/or the certificates are expired)
-I have since obtained an offline version of toolbox 2.1, which does connect but I still cannot complete a firmware redeploy because I get an error of "Firmware Redeploy Failed: Cannot locate the current vehicle in Production Garage, Development Garage. Error communicating with the cid-updater: Unauthorized command factory-redeploy "modules_to_skip":"ic,ape,192.168.90.105","colorize":"false" ... I tried using both lan ports behind the small screen (IC) and by the drivers side. If I plug into the white cable to the MCU ethernet is lost
-I tried missing with telnet from another post. I can connect to telnet, but none of the "factory-redeploy" or "m3-factory-redeploy" commands work. "status" command does work, however
-I am debating on messing with cid-updater scripts from github, but have not done this yet

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I think this is good for people who have rooted cars to know, as replacing parts has so far proven to be a real software pain. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4225.jpg
    IMG_4225.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 1B3E0003-C126-4932-8FB9-1CB558F0AFCB.JPG
    1B3E0003-C126-4932-8FB9-1CB558F0AFCB.JPG
    485.9 KB · Views: 4
I asked my rooter (LayZ), he said he'll need to do software redeploys, it won't work from the screen
So if u don't have access to original rooter, MCU replacement at Tesla might be the only way...
Or if ur inverter PCB still good might try swapping that in

Thanks for the reply, I will ask the original rooter and will report back (I will report back here whatever the final solution is, if I can find one).

Was your rooter able to redeploy the software remotely? Additionally, I wouldn't think Tesla would touch the car given the root, but I will try. How exactly would replacing the MCU help?

I did put the old PCB in, unfortunately it was physically damaged from the coolant and I have to take it out again

Quick update- I was able to call the rooter (electrified garage), and they stated that for whatever unknown reason the car was no longer rooted and they did not have remote access anymore. We have no idea why the car is not showing up as rooted anymore, however they did say that even if they did have access they likely would not be able to do much remotely and the car would need to go into their shop because physical connection would be needed. I write this as no penalty to them as the situation is difficult. I see no evidence that the car is unrooted, as it still refuses to update software, so many it is lost in some intermediate state. It is unclear at this point, I may try some Github/coding approaches to see if I can do anything, but progress seems unlikely. Tesla SC said they would be willing to take a look and estimated 3 hours for diagnostics. I am debating on trying versus just parting out and recouping as much money as I can. More to come.

well its possible that attempt to re-deploy messed something up but also 'remote' is not really remote
my rooter connects remotely to my linux laptop but laptop itself is physically connected to the car with fakra cable
i doubt Tesla will do anything cause their official login is probably blocked or removed so they will only replace MCU, and for MCU1 its only the upgrade to MCU2 which is actually a good value but u won't be able to root anymore n if its a salvage car u have to get salvage inspection to get SC back
hit up LayZ, he's smart n might be able to help u (u need ~10 posts to get DM option)

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Thanks again for the information, it is really helpful having another perspective. I was going to post other things/info that I have not yet seen on this forum, so that should be no problem. Would it be too much to ask to have LayZ look at this thread in the meantime? Not sure if we can post business on this forum, but I am happy to compensate him if he can find a solution.

I called electrified garage again and offered what you mentioned regarding remotely connecting in the way you mentioned it, they stated this is not something they have ever done, however they will look into it for me and get back tomorrow. I am sure there are a lot of EG customers on this forum, so hopefully this info is helpful for them.

I will once I make enough posts. Also, I recall that the root could be tracked on a car ccitesla site, and it would always sync up there until recently (this is probably what electrified garage sees). I remember that the sync stopped showing up days before I messed with any of the software. Now that I think about it, it happened soon after I tried connecting toolbox 3 to the car. Toolbox 3 also refused to work with the specific computer and wifi after I tried to login again (the site endlessly loaded over the entire day, however if I tried to login on any other device, I had no issue). I was only able to get it to work when I changed to a different wifi on that computer. Could just be a coincidence, but truthfully I don't think it was. It could also be that the car is still rooted and the server or they use to view the car lost its connection, likely will never know for sure.

Because that is the rooter's remote view of the car. If I look at the actual data on the car when in developer/factory mode, I do see parameters when the drive rail is on.

Also, brief update. I have tried several iterations of code from Github, so far no success. At one point I did install an update and I thought nothing happened so I pulled the battery, however when I reconnected the car gave an error message about an update being reinstalled. Unfortunately I have not been able to replicate that condition or push any updates. LayZ has graciously agreed to help, but things are still pending.

I have reached a conclusion for this thread. To close all the ends:
-Electrified garage never got back to me, I did not bother calling them back, they were not very helpful
-GitHub scripts and all the other approaches mentioned above were unsuccessful, even with assistance from one of the script creators
-The solution to the drive unit issue was going through LayZ. He was able to redeploy software and sync things up. I am no longer seeing mismatch errors and things appear to be synced. Thanks brianhouston for suggestion. And thanks LayZ for the help thus far (this guy is sharp, proficient, and honest, I highly recommend him).
-Unfortunately, the saga continues. The car still won't run, because it turns out there are battery issues now. I think these issues have arisen because the car has not started or moved in nearly 2 months, but I am not fully sure. I am going to make a separate thread about the battery to track progress, the final outcome, and to see if anyone else has additional advice.

So, in conclusion, if you have a rooted car or if you want to root your car, make sure you plan ahead and see what the options for software redeployment are if something major fails and needs replacement. If you are planning on buying a rooted car (like I did), make sure you know what you are getting into and expect additional trouble if the car is rooted. Additionally, I recommend exercising caution with electrified garage unless you live close by, because they seem unwilling to do much of anything unless you take the car in.

One more thing to add, I was able to confirm that the car is in fact no longer rooted. Again, I don't know how exactly the car became unrooted (it possibly was from something I did), but I recall the root no longer being recognized after I removed and cleaned the ground studs on the drive rails in the front of the car, under the frunk. So again, if you have a root from Electrified Garage, be careful, because when I started this process the car was rooted, and now it is not.

Thanks for shout out, happy to help :)

I think these issues have arisen because the car has not started or moved in nearly 2 months, but I am not fully sure. I am going to make a separate thread about the battery to track progress, the final outcome, and to see if anyone else has additional advice.
i can tell u for sure its NOT from 2mo sitting
i (and many other ppl) bought 2 cars already from auction thats been sitting for >3mo and no HV issues
will keep an eye out for ur new thread

One more thing to add, I was able to confirm that the car is in fact no longer rooted. Again, I don't know how exactly the car became unrooted (it possibly was from something I did), but I recall the root no longer being recognized after I removed and cleaned the ground studs on the drive rails in the front of the car, under the frunk. So again, if you have a root from Electrified Garage, be careful, because when I started this process the car was rooted, and now it is not.
Thats unfortunate but its def not from disconnecting power/grounds
Probably was some temp root or not done right or software update/re-deploy wiped it
My rooted car was powered completely off many times (even removed HV pack) and root stayed