Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Crash on US-101 (Mountain View, CA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's terrible, hope the driver survives. Isn't last year there is crash and fire in Austria took 35 firemen 2 hours to put out because of toxic fumes, in-experience and keep on reignited again? Hearing these stories always concern me

If you look at the first photo on the KTVU link ( Tesla crashes, catches fire on Hwy 101 in Mountain View ) you can see a silver canister in the foreground. I'm wondering if it wasn't for the white foam that was sprayed.

Fire departments especially in this area where Teslas and other EVs are abundant are well aware of the procedures for handling fires in these type of cars. I'm sure they were quick to handle things once on the scene.

Rat / Mike, are you sure. I was thinking they are the middle seats as I see it looks like the back seats were flipped down. I'm just not sure. Terrible looking result.

The front seat backs should align with the back of the front door and rear edge of the windshield. They do look further rearward than normal... Maybe they are the middle row of a 6 seater and the monoposts broke allowing them to come forward more than normal?

• Helpful
Reactions: Johann Koeber
If you look at the first photo on the KTVU link ( Tesla crashes, catches fire on Hwy 101 in Mountain View )

Fire departments especially in this area where Teslas and other EVs are abundant are well aware of the procedures for handling fires in these type of cars. I'm sure they were quick to handle things once on the scene.

Maybe they are well trained, yet knowing how lithium cells can suddenly erupt from an unstable state, there is no way I would be sticking my head down that close to the cells not long after a crash. There is no guarantee that it is all over. Just have someone take some hi-res photos for analysis later and get the heck out of there. Put it on a truck and take it away.

If it helps here's the frame work of the X

IMG_6794.JPG

Maybe they are well trained, yet knowing how lithium cells can suddenly erupt from an unstable state, there is no way I would be sticking my head down that close to the cells not long after a crash. There is no guarantee that it is all over. Just have someone take some hi-res photos for analysis later and get the heck out of there. Put it on a truck and take it away.

The fire department wasn't sure it was safe to be picked up and put on a truck so they wouldn't release the scene. (Better sitting in one place if it goes up than travelling with cells exploding out and starting fires on the side of the road.)

Reactions: FlyF4
The fire department wasn't sure it was safe to be picked up and put on a truck so they wouldn't release the scene. (Better sitting in one place if it goes up than travelling with cells exploding out and starting fires on the side of the road.)

They need to watch more episodes of "Highway Through Hell". Loaded a still smouldering wreck onto a wooden bed wrecker...

• Love
Reactions: FlyF4
I'm thinking this was a 5 seater X. I'm saying that because when I look at the photo of Tesla engineers working on the car, I see a small band of yellowish color seen through the middle of the two seats, it looks like bench seating there to me. Also looking at the two seats I'll say are front seats, it looks like a melted console in the middle. From the side photo of the car the two "front" seats look to me to be lined up with the B pillar.

Tesla crashes, catches fire on Hwy 101 in Mountain View

Gosh been thinking of the driver and his family all day. The accident hits home being a Tesla owner and having driven this area too.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4 and phaduman
That is a scary barrier. If auto pilot messed up - yikes. If he/she made a last minute lane change and misjudged the barrier - yikes.

I am surprised it does not happen more at that exchange.

Autopilot or not, its a hell of a bummer.

Near misses happen at that split all the time--people don't seem to follow the signs. There's three overhead signs that clearly ID the 85 vs 101 lanes, the first of which is over half a mile from that barrier. But...maybe its all to confusing for some people?

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW and phaduman
With respect to "are they the front seats?" - the view from the front is hard to get a perspective on, but if you look at any of the views from the side the seats are exactly in the correct position for front seats (even with the B pillar). Also, the seats appear to have the movable headrests which are consistent with the front seats.

(Edit: And you can see the skeleton of the front console between the seats on the front view. They are even with the front console arm rests which are hard to see after the fire damage.)

• Informative
Reactions: mongo and FlyF4