Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Raven Steering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just purchased a 2020 Raven X and the steering feels odd to me. I’ve come from a Model 3 which had very direct steering. I appreciate that the X is a different beast and obviously won’t have the same driving dynamics as a 3 but the steering feels very floaty for want of a better term. I’ve tried all 3 steering settings and usually have it in standard. I’ve noticed the wheel is a lot more twitchy in that I have to move it a lot more in small increments than I did with the model 3, even when on a motorway going fairly straight.
Can anyone with a Raven X confirm if this is normal? Maybe it is but I’d be keen to know.

I just purchased a 2020 Raven X and the steering feels odd to me. I’ve come from a Model 3 which had very direct steering. I appreciate that the X is a different beast and obviously won’t have the same driving dynamics as a 3 but the steering feels very floaty for want of a better term. I’ve tried all 3 steering settings and usually have it in standard. I’ve noticed the wheel is a lot more twitchy in that I have to move it a lot more in small increments than I did with the model 3, even when on a motorway going fairly straight.
Can anyone with a Raven X confirm if this is normal? Maybe it is but I’d be keen to know.
Mine has never felt twitchy. I have only driven a couple Model 3 and they have sportier feel than any mode on thr X. Not sure I’d say floaty but I know what you mean. The small increments and straight line behaviour don’t sound right, mine has excellent tracking. Maybe your tires could be a factor?

Reactions: SciFy
Mine has never felt twitchy. I have only driven a couple Model 3 and they have sportier feel than any mode on thr X. Not sure I’d say floaty but I know what you mean. The small increments and straight line behaviour don’t sound right, mine has excellent tracking. Maybe your tires could be a factor?
I’ve only had it a short time so could just be how it’s. I’ve had new suspension parts and new tyres so can’t be that. I need to drive another X to see if there’s a difference I guess. Another issue is that if it hits a small pothole the steering’s jumps to one side. This never happened in my 3 and I’d actually expect it to deal with potholes better with the larger wheels

it could be alignment n tire pressures
my 2016 does feel floaty esp on 20in wheels n with pressures below 35psi
with 22s for some reason i feel much better control/response

it could be worn out steering rack (there's spring loaded magic somewhere between steering shaft/rack, u can feel it without assist) but i never confirmed it since it requires new rack or diff car

it could be alignment n tire pressures
my 2016 does feel floaty esp on 20in wheels n with pressures below 35psi
with 22s for some reason i feel much better control/response

it could be worn out steering rack (there's spring loaded magic somewhere between steering shaft/rack, u can feel it without assist) but i never confirmed it since it requires new rack or diff car
Just had alignment done so I suspect there’s something else going on. Taking it back in to Tesla next week to have another look. Frustrating when they say they couldn’t tell anything from their test drive.