Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model X vs odyssey dimensions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed that the dimensions of odyssey and model X are pretty close. I have a minivan and will be adding model x to the household.
model X measures 198″ L x 82″ W (with mirrors closed)
Odyssey measures 203″ L x 79″ W
It is interesting to note that model x is wider! Have people noticed that? My odyssey can seat 6 ft adults very comfortably in third row. What makes model x feel little smaller inside?
appreciate any input and corrections to my observation.

I have both. Yes, the X is a beast. Because of the body structure for the falcon wing doors as well as the X being an SUV rather than a minivan, it's not as roomy or as functional as the Odyssey. However, going with the 6-seat X configuration does make up for some of the room loss. The X 3rd row is a lot narrower than the Odyssey's 3rd row due to the thickness of the rear quarter body structure. If you go with the 6 seat X you should be able to fit a 6 ft adult but their head may be right up against the glass of the trunk due to the slope and they wouldn't be able to lean forward without hitting the ceiling of cabin. Also, they would need to put their feet in the empty space between the two 2nd row seats. There's not much leg and knee room for tall folks in the 3rd row. But again, these trade offs are common anytime you compare an SUV to a minivan.

And you won't be able to fit two adult bikes in the back after folding down the third row :) Odysee with 8 seats is definitely much roomier for more adults and more luggage, but I am still totally willing to trade it in for the X next month, because I am tired of the shaking and the oil/gas smells and no autopilot... our X is going to be the 6 seat version so that is room for four adults and two children. And thanks to FWD there won't be any climbing over seats to get into the last row...

Also, the X is more aerodynamic than the Odyssey. Therefore, the rear tapers a lot more, reducing head room significantly.
Yeah, this. I had an Odyssey which I replaced by the X. I think OP's measurements don't apply to the 2013 Odyssey, which had the same width as the X mirrors out.

The X is much smaller. Dimensions show the widest portion but don't show the volume that the vehicle displaces. As @vandacca states, the aerodynamic qualities of the X mean that it tapers front to back. It doesn't have a stub nose the way that the Odyssey does and it tapers much more aggressively at the back, which is why the third row only fits two instead of three (or, as @Sri Kooturu says, 6!) Second row doesn't remove, like it does with the Odyssey. There are a number of differences that make the Odyssey a much more utilitarian vehicle across the board. Except, of course, on your way to 60mph. Or when you want to pass that gas station.

Last edited:
Reactions: FarmerDave