Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My timing is horrible. Missed the Rebate and Missed the Price Reduction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in order to receive the full $7500 rebate - the car must have been delivered before April 18.
The $2000 price cut was on April 19.
I have ordered and paid for my car at the higher price.
It has still not been delivered.

Will Tesla volunteer to give me the $2000 refund or will I have to cancel the order and start over?

Since you have not taken delivery, the price reduction should be reflected and a refund should be issued. I would reach out to a delivery advisor to make sure they have that noted before you take delivery

if your timing was horrible you would have bought about 15 months ago when prices were at their peaks. the model 3 basic was selling for $48K in the USA. now it is at $40K + a tax credit

i know a guy who bought the performance about 2 years ago who is roughly 12K underwater now

if your timing was horrible you would have bought about 15 months ago when prices were at their peaks. the model 3 basic was selling for $48K in the USA. now it is at $40K + a tax credit

i know a guy who bought the performance about 2 years ago who is roughly 12K underwater now
Yup. Just purely from Tesla’s price reductions my car has lost an additional ~15k in value in the year I have owned it, plus whatever it would have normally depreciated from 25,000 miles in the first year.

Shrug. Not the first time the universe has suckerpunched me in the groin.

Yup. Just purely from Tesla’s price reductions my car has lost an additional ~15k in value in the year I have owned it, plus whatever it would have normally depreciated from 25,000 miles in the first year.

Shrug. Not the first time the universe has suckerpunched me in the groin.
yes and there are tons of threads on here with people crying about that.

in the end the lower the price goes and more people go EV the better for the planet. isn't that the main reason people on here are buying tesla's? or is it just for vanity reasons?

i leased mine and the price 2 weeks ago was BELOW what i paid all the way back in 2020. now it is back higher after they raised the lease by $50 a month to $399 instead of $349.

people will only drive themselves crazy if they keep harping on where they bought this or that. BMW or mercedes as soon as you buy them and drive them off the lot the price drops 20%, i once bought a 3 series for $32K and traded it in 2 years later for 22K of equity. and that was considered normal. that is a fact and i know it cause i drove those cars for 20 years before a tesla!

Yeah. There is literally nothing we can do about it now, and ranting about it does only harm with zero food. As you mentioned, if I had bought the M3 or Hellcat I was cross-shopping at the time, I’d probably still be about in the same boat, financially.

i'm not a financial advisor, but there is a good chance ANYTHING you bought over the last year will be worth less in 1 year, 2 years, or 3 years from now

the federal reserve has literally said flat out they want to bring down the prices of everything to fight inflation. so people need to accept this fact. you are better off leasing if you think the price will drop a lot over the next 3 years, but if you think prices will go up and want to fight the fed then go ahead and buy. granted car prices have already reached their peaks and are dropping. the post covid revenge of wanting to go out is ending. people are not chasing car buying anymore. they are taking a breather. car prices do cycle up and down, especially in a modern world of analytics. i still remember as a kid if you wanted to know the price of a car you got a kelly blue book, those days are long gone. and that is gonna cause a lot of volatility with car prices because people are gonna either be very mad if prices drop or very happy if they go up

in the end the lower the price goes and more people go EV the better for the planet. isn't that the main reason people on here are buying tesla's?

Not for me it isnt. Nor is it some sort of vanity thing. I bought a model 3 in 2018 because after I evaluated it, I thought it was the best combination of speed, comfort, Tech and running costs I could find, and all of those were better than the BMW M3 I was about to buy before I pivoted to the model 3.

Other than it being noisy from wind noise, the car has lived up to what I expected it to, and more. I still enjoy driving it and Its almost 5 years old at this point. It had nothing to do with "save the planet" though for me. Neither do my solar panels, the Model Y I have, and the Tesla powerwalls.

Save the planet did not figure into the equation for any of those purchases for me. Perhaps when tesla sold only Model S and X that was a primary driver for most owners, but Tesla has long since moved past that being a primary driver of sales, at least in my own opinion.

Not for me it isnt. Nor is it some sort of vanity thing. I bought a model 3 in 2018 because after I evaluated it, I thought it was the best combination of speed, comfort, Tech and running costs I could find, and all of those were better than the BMW M3 I was about to buy before I pivoted to the model 3.

Other than it being noisy from wind noise, the car has lived up to what I expected it to, and more. I still enjoy driving it and Its almost 5 years old at this point. It had nothing to do with "save the planet" though for me. Neither do my solar panels, the Model Y I have, and the Tesla powerwalls.

Save the planet did not figure into the equation for any of those purchases for me. Perhaps when tesla sold only Model S and X that was a primary driver for most owners, but Tesla has long since moved past that being a primary driver of sales, at least in my own opinion.
While I haven’t bought a Tesla, if I do, it will be for reasons similar to yours. As a longtime car enthusiast the performance and tech that is offered at current pricing levels is very attractive.

I have been encouraged by the many posts I have read from folks who own/owned performance oriented vehicles from the legacy automakers. The reduced emissions will be a plus, but far from a primary motivator in an EV purchase.