Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 5-20 to 6-15

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Similar to how the Tt-40 to 14-30 custom adapters work, could another adapter be made to go from 5-20 on the UMC to 6-15 on the recepticle?

The reason I ask is because I have access to jobsite temporary electric with a 6-15 connector on a 20 amp breaker.

If so, what would such a pin out look like.

Yes, you can. Wire the ground pins together and the two blades on the 6-15 to the blades on the 5-20. Polarity on the blades doesn't matter with 240v charging, as it does when wiring the 120v TT-30 plug. Doubtless you realize that a 6-15 shouldn't really be on a 20a breaker, however I've also seen such liberties taken. Keep a very close eye on the temperature of the 6-15 receptacle. Probably nobody has tried to pull 16a continuous from it. As long as the wire is big enough, the receptacle can probably handle it, though. Use a 5-20 "T" receptacle so that you can switch to your 5-15 adapter if you need to.

Tesla does have a 6-15 adapter already. Might be faster to just stop by your friendly Service Center. ;-)

I believe he's trying to charge at 16 amps instead of the 12 amps that the 6-15 connector would allow since there's a 20 amp breaker.

This is correct, I have the 6-15 adapter already (makes the collection complete). If possible, I'd like that extra 4 amps since that's another couple miles per hour of charge. I was concerned about the heat, so that is a good reminder from /u/davewill.

Yes, you can. Wire the ground pins together and the two blades on the 6-15 to the blades on the 5-20. Polarity on the blades doesn't matter with 240v charging, as it does when wiring the 120v TT-30 plug. Doubtless you realize that a 6-15 shouldn't really be on a 20a breaker, however I've also seen such liberties taken. Keep a very close eye on the temperature of the 6-15 receptacle. Probably nobody has tried to pull 16a continuous from it. As long as the wire is big enough, the receptacle can probably handle it, though. Use a 5-20 "T" receptacle so that you can switch to your 5-15 adapter if you need to.
This will work... but for the love of anyone who comes after you, please label the 5-20 side of that adapter "240V! FOR TESLA CHARGING ONLY" so that no poor soul gets zapped by what is supposed to be a "neutral" pin.

This will work... but for the love of anyone who comes after you, please label the 5-20 side of that adapter "240V! FOR TESLA CHARGING ONLY" so that no poor soul gets zapped by what is supposed to be a "neutral" pin.
Or starts a fire or destroys some expensive piece of equipment by plugging it into 240v when it wasn't supposed to be. Quite so.