Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Performance news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took the new Performance (Blue, black interior) for a test drive yesterday, below are my very quick thoughts and opinions.
For reference, I currently own 2021 Model 3 Performance.
Interior: Much better. Feels better in every possible way. The changes in steering wheel, seats*, ambient lighting, rear screen, and new dash all contribute to a far more pleasant experience in the cabin and the drive.
*Although, the seats, albeit VERY visually appealing, were actually quite uncomfortable. Very tight on the legs. The back was fine. The new cooling option will be welcome in summer.
Performance: Dont know if these are restricted in some way for the test drives (yes, I had it on Insane Mode) it feels slower than my 2021 M3P.
Accelerates more linearly, perhaps that's why it "feels" slower, but that is what I noticed after several different accelerations under different scenarios and speed.
Ride & Handling: The new suspension set-up is spectacular. The "Light" is very soft, and the "Sport" is far more aggressive and very stiff. I prefer a harsher and stiffer ride so I loved the Sports setting.
The "Heavy" steering setting felt much lighter than the same setting on my current M3P. Not as heavy, actually nowhere near it. Disappointing as I prefer a heavy feel to the steering.
Exterior: Very nice. The front and rear splitters, new air ducts and rear wing all make it look quite nice. The wheels, I'm undecided.
Tyres: Not sure about the new compound or Pirelli here. I throw my current car around corners and through roundabouts with great ease and goes like a bullet and sticks like cement through those, but the new one, the rear seemed to flick out a few times.

Would I upgrade? Short answer is Yes. Long answer is also a Yes, but depends on your current circumstances....
Hope its been worthwhile to anyone deciding.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 3
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 4
Hi @TeslaTonyCBR. Nice write up. I felt the same way about the seats as well, but I kind of got used to them by the end of my test drive. There are some options for aftermarket seat inserts that may help if longer term they still don't feel good. Re: Acceleration - was the "Obstacle aware acceleration enabled or disabled ? On our M3LR, if enabled the launch in most cases is hopeless.

Reactions: TelsaTonyCBR
Hi @TeslaTonyCBR. Nice write up. I felt the same way about the seats as well, but I kind of got used to them by the end of my test drive. There are some options for aftermarket seat inserts that may help if longer term they still don't feel good. Re: Acceleration - was the "Obstacle aware acceleration enabled or disabled ? On our M3LR, if enabled the launch in most cases is hopeless.
I learnt years ago to turn that off ;) Must be in my head, I know it is a faster car, all the facts show that, must be in the way it delivered its speed.
I didn't go above 110km/h which is where the new rear motor really shines from what I have read - the 100-200 zone.
I think the seats did start to feel better over the hour I had the car, I just remember the initial "geez that's a bit tight and hurting my thighs" when I initially got in.

Reactions: Serza
I ordered pretty promptly. Not sure exactly when Performance showed up on the Australian website. I checked early in the day when it was available in other markets (like 5am) and it wasnt on the Oz site yet. Might have jagged it pretty close to going live later in the morning though. I believe VIN's are assigned once cars are on the boat, I'd say they will get to yours pretty soon.