Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New S, New UMC, New Problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of 75D today! Smooth delivery, awesome drive, but....

first charge with UMC Gen 2 and NEMA 14-50R, and charge port ring lights up amber, occasionally flashing. Console displays "UMC unlatched", then "service mobile connector". UMC backlight flashes slowly red. Eventually with a few disconnects and/or breaker resets, wiggling the connector in the port get it to charge... Tesla has no published manual for gen2 UMC and now will have (Austin) SC call in the morning. I'm told the charge port is so new it's got to wear down the coating before UMC and port can reliably connect, and this will self-resolve in a few weeks? Anyone else with similar new charging issues?

At least it'll give me a few days more to ponder xpel vs. suntek....

We have a 100D loaner(our 2013 S85 is in the shop for a minor issue... writing this post makes me realise our fourth anniversary of ownership was a distant one!) with low K’s and both our Hpwc and Supercharging causes very frequent amber lights. Green light are ine in ten. Must say the loaner is impressive although we still love our baby!! Merry Christmas to all.

My first couple of days I got the orange ring. I think it wasn't pushed in all the way. A couple days later the box was blinking red while plugged into the 14-50. I plugged it into a regular 110, the back to the 14-50. This only happened the one time and its been fine ever since (3 months). I think its true about it breaking in. The biggest problem I had when first starting to charge is realized the car had to be unlocked to pull the charger out. I yanked on that thing pretty hard. :confused:

• Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: dmd2005 and TexasEV
My first couple of days I got the orange ring. I think it wasn't pushed in all the way. A couple days later the box was blinking red while plugged into the 14-50. I plugged it into a regular 110, the back to the 14-50. This only happened the one time and its been fine ever since (3 months). I think its true about it breaking in. The biggest problem I had when first starting to charge is realized the car had to be unlocked to pull the charger out. I yanked on that thing pretty hard. :confused:
If it’s not showing white it’s not ready. Are you saying it was white and not unlocked? I’m sure you know now you hold the button down until the ring is white and that means the charging is stopped and the communication has stopped also. Blue is communicating and it’s not ready either at that point.

The reason for it needing to be unlocked is so no one can remove the wand while you are charging, of course.

If it’s not showing white it’s not ready. Are you saying it was white and not unlocked? I’m sure you know now you hold the button down until the ring is white and that means the charging is stopped and the communication has stopped also. Blue is communicating and it’s not ready either at that point.

The reason for it needing to be unlocked is so no one can remove the wand while you are charging, of course.

I have it all figured out now. I knew about the button, but sometimes I'd try to pull the plug w/o the fob. I didn't realize it only went white if I happened to have the fob in my pocket. ;)

Reactions: boaterva
It's been a couple of days since delivery and I'm still trying to get used to the UMC connector. Inserting it to the charge port hasn't been a problem once you learn to listen to the "click" but it's been a bit sticky to pull out. Still trying to learn the right amount of force to apply without incurring the blowback. I did have an issue with the charge port turning red last night and the UMC box flashing red. Manual said I need to contact service, but upon unplugging, waiting a few, and plugging it back into the outlet, the problem went away.

I did have an issue with the charge port turning red last night and the UMC box flashing red. Manual said I need to contact service, but upon unplugging, waiting a few, and plugging it back into the outlet, the problem went away.

This! Exactly what happened. Possibly it was the port flashing the UMC so often it reset it. Supposedly the charge port plastic ring is too low clearance any over time it will wear. Do you have the same charging-after-stopping issue?

This! Exactly what happened. Possibly it was the port flashing the UMC so often it reset it. Supposedly the charge port plastic ring is too low clearance any over time it will wear. Do you have the same charging-after-stopping issue?

No, but then I've only used scheduled charging, which has been working fine. Charge time is a bit slower with the Gen 2, but I knew this and it shouldn't be a problem for me most of the time. I hope you'll have your issue addressed soon.

No, but then I've only used scheduled charging, which has been working fine. Charge time is a bit slower with the Gen 2, but I knew this and it shouldn't be a problem for me most of the time. I hope you'll have your issue addressed soon.

Update: took a 100D loaner at Austin and it’s got same port issues, made a SC nearly impossible to plug. (Tried until “service change port door” came up) Didn’t grab the vin but it only had 200 miles on it. Loaner #2 with 600+ worked perfectly. Suspect it’s a Q4 build issue?

Tech mentioned a drimmel as the solution so far...