Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd Charge Behavior, Complete at 95%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had it happen again. I had charge set to 70%, came out this morning and charge was still set at 70% but the battery was 75% full.
IMG_20170628_094555.jpg

Is this due to the "load balancing" phenomenon? i.e. You need to run it to 100% a few times to get the percentage back up to a 100% charge?
No. I think you are referring to "pack balancing" that occurs when the battery is above 94%. That process basically tried to bring each module up to full by bleeding of higher voltage modules. That process is completely transparent to the user and would not show itself to my knowledge.

Although you do raise an interesting new software feature of it was doing this now. But 5% out of balance both times seems like too round of a number.

Yay! It's getting worse. Came home last night about 1:45am, charge limit was set to 70%. I thought, "Hey, it's the weekend, better bump it up to 90% in case we get busy running around." Did so via the app and started charging. See attached photo. The 1% variance is observed as normal when the car finishes charging at a time when the ambient air is cooler than when you leave and it has warmed up. No notification from the app that charging was interrupted, just got in the car and saw the charge state at where he picture was. The departure time was roughly 9:43 am which means that starting at 1:45am for charging and assuming a modest 10% per hour, charge set limit should have been accomplished in that 8hr span.
IMG_20170701_094910.jpg