Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 modded to be a P85 w/Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i run a diagnostics and tuning buisness here in the UK one of the tuning companys tools i use (magic motorsport) told me last week they are developing software for the magpro2 x17 for tuning teslas they must be pretty serious they bought a p85d and p100d and have it running via the obd port i will report more when i hear or im offered the package...

• Informative
Reactions: Icer and David99
i run a diagnostics and tuning buisness here in the UK one of the tuning companys tools i use (magic motorsport) told me last week they are developing software for the magpro2 x17 for tuning teslas they must be pretty serious they bought a p85d and p100d and have it running via the obd port i will report more when i hear or im offered the package...

Magic Motorsport.. I would not get my hopes up..

This is amazing. What sort of power gains are you expecting to see with the 100 pack?

Could this be done with early non-performance 85’s too? Or would the drive unit need to be swapped?

I'm not expecting a significant power gain with the 90->100 swap. The gains would be from the slightly lower voltage drop under high load vs the 90 pack... but it's not going to be substantial.

I have some ideas on how this can be done with non-performance variants, but yet untested. Should be reasonably easy with minor modifications as long as the drive unit is newer.... there seem to be very few original drive units out there.

Are you going to get a 3 and mod it? Can't wait to see an Extra LR 3.
I wouldn't think he would very soon. Since all he is doing is taking a larger Tesla "supplied" battery and putting it in a car. He isn't actually making a larger pack. (There isn't currently a larger pack available for him to jam in a Model 3.)

Getting a 3 as soon as they actually process my day-one reservations. Guessing since I'm not in California I'm just not a priority at the moment.

As for more range... stay tuned. Hint: The next upgrade is going to be to a P130++ with ~400 miles of rated range. :cool:

When can you get in on the dyno? And to a drag strip?

I'm probably not going to bother any time soon, honestly. I don't think the gains since my last dyno run have been too tremendous.

If there's a Model 3 ready to be salvaged, you can be sure one certain main will savagely buy it and at least explore it in great details! :) Many secrets must be there in the firmware... Future updates? Unlocking new functions? True performances when pushed? What about this new battery pack and cell format? etc.

Should be interesting for sure. Although, details about the pack and such have already leaked.

Did you have to modify the suspension to account for the higher weight of the 100 battery?
I think this isn't required if you have the air struts...

@llavalle is correct that with air suspension no modification is required.

Unfortunately my S doesn't have air suspension, so, I'm basically just sacrificing a little bit of passenger/cargo weight. It's only roughly a 200 lbs difference in weight, so as a friend would say, only "about one American."

Eventually I plan to retrofit air suspension on to the car.

Getting a 3 as soon as they actually process my day-one reservations. Guessing since I'm not in California I'm just not a priority at the moment.

Actually, current model S owners have priority over non-owners in California (folks like myself). I've seen folks near the east coast already get their configuration invitations on reddit, but I've yet to see mine, despite being a day-1 res-holder. So you have priority as far as I'm concerned.

Actually, current model S owners have priority over non-owners in California (folks like myself). I've seen folks near the east coast already get their configuration invitations on reddit, but I've yet to see mine, despite being a day-1 res-holder. So you have priority as far as I'm concerned.

I had two S and an X on my "My Tesla" at the time of my reservation. Still have the S.

Reactions: Rouget
Regarding M3 potential:
But likely room for another module?

Meant to say, there is likely room for more batteries.

(Given evidence from Jason's teardown of the S early in this epic)
OT:
Thanks for the great reads, and work Jason.
Please share more of the builds?

I don't know why it is so much fun to read,
but your posts and the
way too rare salvage posts
are what really hooked me into being
a regular reader here.
Thanks again.

FFOT: Did Tesla intentionally break USB to prevent hacking to root?
Has anyone published a How To on that?
Thanks
Keep the faith.

Reactions: MountainRatMat
As for more range... stay tuned. Hint: The next upgrade is going to be to a P130++ with ~400 miles of rated range. :cool:

Looking forward to this. The 100 pack is so densely packed you’d need a secondary pack. ~30 kWh would need 5 additional 100 pack battery modules or 6 from a 70/85 (better symmetry?). The lower part of the rear trunk seems like a great spot for it but very curious how you’ll deal with cooling and if the additional ~350 lbs matters once you retro air suspension.

Here's a pic of my "front motor" from some testing earlier in the day (has since been cleaned up a bit):
2017-01-11%2014.37.58-1920.jpg

You should hook that up to a blender instead, so the car can make you a smoothie as you enjoy ludicrous speeds.
wk057 said:
The pack is actually a ludicrous pack now.
This car has the new contactors and pyrofuse now.
Did you only replace the fuse and contactors for this?

Also, what is the p/n for the new contactors?

Last edited:
Jason,
In a number of posts, you and others have mentioned the pontential to do some of these modifications on non-performance RWD85’s. I have an July 2013 S85. Without putting a new DU, what can be done to increase performance closer to the P85?