Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Correction Impact?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm getting my Tesla Model 3 paint corrected, and I'm curious about the long-term effects, and if anyone had any experience with the actual clear coat thickness loss.

Tons of websites talk about paint correction but they each exaggerate the amount of clear coat 'sacrifice' in their own way, and now I'm stuck wondering: am I harming the longevity of the clear coat and making it *severely* more susceptible to paint scratches or will there actually still be plenty of clear coat that I shouldn't worry?

Thanks for the help!

It depends on the level of correction that is required, but honestly you'll never know the answer to your question unless you get a paint meter and look for yourself. Assuming the paint is in decent condition, the detailer will probably just need to use something too abrasive which shouldn't really wear down the clear coat too much. If you are really worried about it, just make sure you keep the car clean and occasionally wax it or use a sealant to keep it protected.

I wasn't too worried about the minimal impact of the paint correction, since we had paint protection applied to the entire vehicle. The added protection should more than make up for the paint correction and keep it looking like nearly new for years to come.

Reactions: Brian's ReX
Hi all,

I'm getting my Tesla Model 3 paint corrected, and I'm curious about the long-term effects, and if anyone had any experience with the actual clear coat thickness loss.

Tons of websites talk about paint correction but they each exaggerate the amount of clear coat 'sacrifice' in their own way, and now I'm stuck wondering: am I harming the longevity of the clear coat and making it *severely* more susceptible to paint scratches or will there actually still be plenty of clear coat that I shouldn't worry?

Thanks for the help!

Unless they're wet sanding you won't lose that much clearcoat, if any. A few microns at most. Wet sanding is another story.

Unless they're wet sanding you won't lose that much clearcoat, if any. A few microns at most. Wet sanding is another story.

Agreed...and a typical detail wouldn't include wetsanding (i.e. sanding the surface to remove the "orange peel" texture of the paint which is followed by a couple of buffing steps to bring the gloss back). Most decent shops know to take it easy where the paint is thinnest (i.e. on the curves/peaks). Years ago I color sanded my Firebird...managed to get one thin burn though on a peak...doh!

Reactions: Shizzrock