Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anybody confirm what's actually included in the 'Performance Brakes' upgrade on the performance trim? I've read various things on the internet about how it's simply just red paint (and a red cover in the rear) and the LR trim have the same brembos in the front.

I think the general consensus, is Mostly paint. I've heard some conflicting reports about rotor thickness, but honestly even if it were true. It wouldn't be enough of a change to matter. I would just say the performance brakes look better. I wouldn't pay more than $50 difference for the brake upgrade. It's not worth more than the paint it would take to make the LR calipers red.

that sucks and thankfully it wasn't a major deciding factor for the performance upgrade. i figured the wheel, suspension, and programing upgrade more than made up for the $3k price difference. whatever else including red brakes, pedal and spoiler were just a bonus

I was researching this all morning today and based on the owners manual, both front and rear rotors are thicker. Everything else is the same.

Front Rotor thicknessNew (non-performance): 0.98"/25 mm
New (performance): 1.06" / 27 mm
Service limit (non-performance): 0.91”/23 mm
Service limit (performance): 0.98" / 25 mm
Rear Rotor thicknessNew (non-performance): 0.79"/20 mm
New (performance): 0.87" / 22 mm
Service limit (non-performance): 0.71”/18 mm
Service limit (performance): 0.79" / 20 mm

Last edited:
I was researching this all morning today and based on the owners manual, both front and rear rotors are thicker. Everything else is the same.

Front Rotor thicknessNew (non-performance): 0.98"/25 mm
New (performance): 1.06" / 27 mm
Service limit (non-performance): 0.91”/23 mm
Service limit (performance): 0.98" / 25 mm
Rear Rotor thicknessNew (non-performance): 0.79"/20 mm
New (performance): 0.87" / 22 mm
Service limit (non-performance): 0.71”/18 mm
Service limit (performance): 0.79" / 20 mm

Not sure for the reasoning, but the rear brake pad has a different service limit… its allowed to get to 1.8mm on performance before needing service, instead of 2mm, according to the manual.

On earlier Model Y P's, they were using Brembo branded larger rear calipers. They've since switched to using the LR rear calipers with a red painted cover on them to give the appearance of having larger calipers.

You can tell the difference by looking for the two dimples on the front of the caliper. If you have them, they are Brembo's and are truly a larger caliper. If no dimples, they are the covered LR calipers.

It probably won't make much of a difference for the average driver, but still a shame to cut out an objectively better (larger and more powerful) caliper in favor of the LR one, and "pretend" it is larger with the cover which makes it appear bigger, without actually making it public knowledge that they made the change.

You still get larger Brembo made front brakes on the new P's, just not the rears to match.