Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Plus (+) Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, the + suspension was part of the P85D since it's introduction up until the end of March 2015. I'd gladly swap my go-cart-like-completely-flat-around-any-corner-even-when-drifting-tooth-shattering suspension for an April+ PD setup if someone wants to pay Tesla the labor cost. The only place it makes sense to have suspension this stiff is on a smooth race track. It's far stiffer than anything I've ever owned or driven and I've owned a Corvette with Z51 and have driven that and Porches, Ferrari, and M cars around Thunderhill.

Reactions: bhzmark
I agree with you, but the data that Tesla publish doesn't. But we know they've had coding issues on their CPO site. According to the CPO history, the following VINs are all coded as P85Ds. My guess is that they're really miscoded P85+s.

P42343
P42349
P42380
P54656
P54663
P54718
P55129
P55136
P55138
P57068

So how do you account for the randomness of the PX01 option code across the P85D fleet during that time period?

Based on the post above yours, which confirms my recollection that it wasn't an option to select or not, my guess is that every car Tesla has listed as being a P85D in your list that you have an "N" next to is actually miscoded P85+ or a miscoded something else. That list doesn't come close to reaching April 2015 VINs, which is why I say that.

So how do you account for the randomness of the PX01 option code across the P85D fleet during that time period?

This is a long shot, and I don't know if Tesla does this, but I guess another possibility would be that if the cars had come in for suspension work, and Tesla replaced the stiffer suspension with basic suspension, and then changed the suspension code. Again, I don't know if Tesla does that, and even if they do, I can't imagine that many cars would have had their suspension changed.

Someone should take Sorka up on that offer!!!!!!

As for swapping, any competent shop could do it in about two hours with side by side lifts. There is a single air line attached to each damper unit. There is an internal check valve in the damper unit that retains a small amount of pressure so that, if the rest of the system fails, the car does not fall too badly on one corner. This allow you to simply wipe clean the hose attach point, disconnect and swap.

I'm the !sorka in that I absolutely love my firmer suspension and dislike the current P100D ride :(

• Informative
Reactions: Btr_ftw
Hold on to your hat... here's what looks like the first US P85D: P54656

EV CPO Consolidator / Tesla Preowned Inventory / ev-cpo.com

Listed on Tesla's site as an Inventory car on Dec-15-2014.

There could be weird outliers, I guess. I mean Tesla was demoing the P85D in early October 2014 at the D launch event. So theoretically those demo cars, or other cars they built back then could have lower VINs, but I would think the VIN you listed up thread that started with 59 is more indicative of where the bulk of the P85Ds started.

They're not P85Ds, no matter what the CPO site says!

They really are. The option codes dictate that they really can't be anything else. Not P85+ (RWD).. not S85s not 85Ds.

y point was that the entirety of your Ns would be miscoded because you didn't get far enough to reach the VINs that would correctly be labeled N.

I don't understand this. It's a simple analysis. VIN -- has PX01 or PX00 -- what do you mean "far enough"??

This is a long shot, and I don't know if Tesla does this, but I guess another possibility would be that if the cars had come in for suspension work, and Tesla replaced the stiffer suspension with basic suspension, and then changed the suspension code.

Based on my experience with cars and option codes, Tesla never (or very very rarely) changes the option codes on cars once they're delivered.

Last edited:
My March build is 80693 so I guess there would be no way to check regardless? Is there some evidence that the + suspension was not included on pre April P85Ds????

Yes, the evidence is the PX01 option code on pre-April P85Ds (based on CPOs in EV-CPO).

To restate the issue at hand, I don't know which is correct :

1. That ALL Pre-April P85Ds had the + suspension, and the PX01 codings of those cars are just inaccurate.
OR
2. Possibly based on production issues and/or parts availability, some Pre-April P85Ds had the +, while others did not (meaning the PX01 option code is accurate).

Even playing Occam's razor , I can't come up with an answer.

Reactions: world101
They really are. The option codes dictate that they really can't be anything else. Not P85+ (RWD).. not S85s not 85Ds.

I don't understand this. It's a simple analysis. VIN -- has PX01 or PX00 -- what do you mean "far enough"??

I posted from my phone, and I must have done something wrong, as my text appeared within Hank's quote. Sorry about that.

Here it is:

--
All I meant was that the highest VIN in your list was quite a bit lower than the VIN would be for any car built after the change made by Tesla.
--

Last edited: