Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid brake overheating warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got the brake overheating warning on the dash today. Bummer. Was doing some fast driving in the twisties for less than two minutes. Very disappointed with the brakes on this car. No way they could keep up with a pack of sports cars on a spirited Sunday drive.

Anyone else had the warning as well?

• Disagree
Reactions: hollow23
What I have learned from tracking my 3 performance is you are probably over driving the car just a little bit. If you were to lift off the accelerator maybe 50 yards earlier and let the regen slow the car down you will avoid the porpoising or bouncing that occurs when most people move their foot too quickly from the gas to the brake. While it may cost about a second a lap I found the car can do it almost indefinitely with this driving style. No car can go all out all the time. If you watch F1 their qualifying laps are about 5 seconds a lap faster than their best race laps. If you're getting overheating warnings in the brakes you're probably also cooking the street tires and chunks of rubber will start falling off if you're not careful. There just isn't a warning light. A Tesla will have no trouble keeping up with a sports car on the twisties, the acceleration is so far superior that even without using the brakes you should be quicker.

If you are Randy Pobst going for a lap record, there are a few tenths to be gained by late braking in a couple places, but it should never be needed on the street. Late braking is mostly for passing, as generally it results in a slower lap. Racer live by the moto, slow in, fast out.

Try getting to the gas sooner on corner exit instead on braking late and I bet the other cars will be left far behind.

I have been a Porsche chief driving instructor on and off for twenty five years. It is different, but the same facts apply. A car that is too heavy for it's speed. Tires and brakes are no match for the power and weight.