Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Polestar 2 updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leather is sub-product. Animal is already killed
I’m not interested in arguing the merits. I was simply giving a reason why Tesla doesn’t use leather. This was in response to a post questioning why leather is not used. It’s irrelevant but I personally have no issue with leather. Believe it or not there are people who do avoid leather products.

Not going to win any friends saying this but there's something about a leather interior that can't be beaten in my opinion. Smells great, great feel, feels luxurious.
When new perhaps, but after a few years leather seats/trim does not age well and looks very tired. My last few cars have had them - you can buy leather cleaning products which can give a little bit of life back to them but it doesn't last for long and soon looks tired again.

Meanwhile I have been very pleasantly surprised with the Model 3 seats. I even have them in white, and three years down the road and with 2 young kids they still look and feel as good as new.

No going back to leather for me.

When new perhaps, but after a few years leather seats/trim does not age well and looks very tired. My last few cars have had them - you can buy leather cleaning products which can give a little bit of life back to them but it doesn't last for long and soon looks tired again.

Meanwhile I have been very pleasantly surprised with the Model 3 seats. I even have them in white, and three years down the road and with 2 young kids they still look and feel as good as new.

Fake Leather flakes.. so we will see I suppose

Sorry but that is complete crap. I have an 8 year old A6 and I can’t see any degradation at all. Leather is a product of choice because of its durability.

Do you seriously think the cheap vegan crap in an M3 can compare to quality leather trim?

We can all choose, but my choice is for the interior of my car to be covered in acres of real dead cow, not cheap fake imitation.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Not going to win any friends saying this but there's something about a leather interior that can't be beaten in my opinion. Smells great, great feel, feels luxurious.

I didn't know what "vegan leather" was going in to buying my M3P, but assumed it would look and feel exactly the same but perhaps without the smell. Should've known it's basically just some weird kind of plastic.

It's not enough to make me rage, but when I had a Model S loaner one time I very much enjoyed the reminder of previous cars I'd had with leather interiors.
I'm not vegan. I will never be vegan. I wont apologise for not being a veagn

...and definitely don't want a vinyl interior. Ever.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Utter nonsense in my experience, and Honda aren't renowned for the quality of their interiors.

Interior after 21 years / 60k miles:
IMG_20200816_162028.jpg

IMG_20200816_162227.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I really never heard of leather going bad in a few years even without any care. Doesn't happen! With care it'll go 20 years or more no problem.

I actually quite like the feel of the Tesla vegan stuff, but just hope it is something better than the fake leather in, e.g., Ikea furniture which seems nice at first then starts disintegrating as it's just a super thin plastic skin on top of a foam layer. Will be disastrous if Tesla vegan seats start doing this just out of warranty!

just a remark: we had sofa, with vegan "leather" rather than real.

top layer started to flake and was falling like dandruff - it took like 3 years for this..

because all artificial leathers are the same: bottom layer is fabric for flexibility, then optional layer on top of the fabric for softness (foam-ish) and then on top - the plastic (pvc) for the colour and "feel".

• Informative
Reactions: CWT3LR and Durzel
1280px-Polestar_2_Genf_2019_1Y7A5078.jpg

I can recommend a good optician to anyone who thinks a 3/Y is more attractive than this.
To each their own... but sorry, the Polestar interior isn't even parts bin, it's a wish.com x AliBaba collab special. I can't imagine how long it took them to amalgamate and translate all the various manuals for each component into a single, cohesive document.

Contrary to what seems to be a growing consensus, I really like the exterior design, it's just *so* cramped.

That was only the steering wheel, the seats have always been plastic based.

Edit: I should add plastic seats are not just a tesla thing. Fairly sure the only leather seat in the polestar is a £4K optional extra which few people take.

Reactions: KennethS
You don't say? Tesla’s Vegan Leather is Starting to Bubble

Model 3 became leather free in 2019, not 2017
It’s obvious you have an aversion to Tesla. There will always be issues, real or synthetic materials. I was suggesting I haven’t seen issues widely reported and common.

I don’t have the time right now to search but from memory I believe Tesla went to vegan leather in 2017 except for certain limited trim areas (which I think was just the steering wheel).

My experience of leather generally is that if it is looked after then it basically lasts forever. The creases, etc in @Whyone's photo (lovely interior by the way) are just patina, which enhances it if anything. I bet it smells lovely too.

I don't have a big issue with the Model 3 seats, but "vegan leather" is a total misnomer when it comes to describing them. I'd have the interior (in white) in leather in a heartbeat.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

It’s obvious you have an aversion to Tesla. There will always be issues, real or synthetic materials. I was suggesting I haven’t seen issues widely reported and common.

I don’t have the time right now to search but from memory I believe Tesla went to vegan leather in 2017 except for certain limited trim areas (which I think was just the steering wheel).
I do not have aversion! I own one. I want it to succeed. I am just annoyed by some bits I want them to be better