Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Do You Plug In Every Day (for daily driving, home charging)?

Do you usually leave your Tesla plugged in when at home not in use?

• Yes, I leave my a Tesla plugged in when not in use

Votes: 92 56.8%
  • No, I usually wait until the battery is down to x%, and then charge to y%.

Votes: 58 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 12 7.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, sorry for the late replry.
Mine was built in Freemont. Makes sense, given that I live in California. :) If that's the built date, mine was built 3/24 as well.
View attachment 1043000

totally unrelated topic, the load cannot exceed 375 KG or 826 pounds. I weigh about 220 pounds, so I really gotta be careful whom I'm riding with hahha.
View attachment 1043001
That’s the month and year of production not the actual date.

I plug in whenever I’m home, which is 4-5 days weekly. I work in the airlines and am often gone a few days per week - two to four days occasionally. When at home my charge limit is set to 50%, which is plenty for my daily driving. I rarely get into the 20s% but tomorrow when I return home it’ll be in the mid-20s and I’ll charge it back to the normal 50%.

My reading here and some YT videos make me think this is a good strategy for long-term battery health. The car is almost always in my garage or in covered parking at work. I don’t have an option to charge when I’m at work and the car sits in the parking garage. I wish I had level 1 charging available, but it is not.

Reactions: DrDiesel1
I plug in whenever I’m home, which is 4-5 days weekly. I work in the airlines and am often gone a few days per week - two to four days occasionally. When at home my charge limit is set to 50%, which is plenty for my daily driving. I rarely get into the 20s% but tomorrow when I return home it’ll be in the mid-20s and I’ll charge it back to the normal 50%.

My reading here and some YT videos make me think this is a good strategy for long-term battery health. The car is almost always in my garage or in covered parking at work. I don’t have an option to charge when I’m at work and the car sits in the parking garage. I wish I had level 1 charging available, but it is not.
IMO, if you used the middle of the pack, it would be better than down in the mid 20's.
Say 30 to 60% if that's all you need. 🤙

• Disagree
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I rarely charge above 50% anymore. I started with the usual 80% and slowly went downwards until about a year ago when I thought there was no point in charging higher. I live in the Chicago area and even in winter a trip to the airport and back (58ish miles round trip) rarely uses more than 25%. I don’t engage in hypermiling driving style. I roll with traffic and run the heater to stay warm. It’s a good commuter car if otherwise totally uninspiring to a car enthusiast. I really wish it had Apple CarPlay.

My one concession to the car enthusiast in me is a set of Martian 19” wheels for the Model Y. They look pretty sweet.

I have two Teslas and live in a rented house. All outlets in garage are on same 20a circuit and don’t want to try and talk landlord into 50a circuit. So I alternate plugging them in …… usually waiting to get below 50% on the Y but charge the LFP M3 up to 100 each week on Tuesday night. Takes a while on 12a but gets the job done.

IMO, if you used the middle of the pack, it would be better than down in the mid 20's.
Opinions aren’t really important though in this instance. There’s nothing wrong with running a lithium battery very low, and the “mid 20s” is a complete non-concern.

On the other hand, studies show that calendar based degradation increases measurably above ~55%, so plenty of good reason to stay below that if degradation or battery health is something you concern yourself with.

Pics please

Here's my 2023 MYLR with 19" Martian wheels. I like the look and the fact that they're lighter than the originals. The originals are currently set up with my Vredestein winter tires.

I took delivery of this car on December 8, 2022. It's a good, reliable appliance. I think the Model 3 and S are much better looking but they are not available unfortunately with a factory trailer hitch option. I regularly use a bike rack so this is a decent setup for that.
53705095103_86db317ba3_b.jpg

• Love
Reactions: WyoDude and gsl120
Here's my 2023 MYLR with 19" Martian wheels. I like the look and the fact that they're lighter than the originals. The originals are currently set up with my Vredestein winter tires.

I took delivery of this car on December 8, 2022. It's a good, reliable appliance. I think the Model 3 and S are much better looking but they are not available unfortunately with a factory trailer hitch option. I regularly use a bike rack so this is a decent setup for that.
View attachment 1045017
Looks great! What tires? Continentals?

How much did these wheel impact efficiency?

Looks great! What tires? Continentals?

How much did these wheel impact efficiency?
These tires are the original all-seasons. No idea on the efficiency impact of the wheels, though I suspect it’s not a net positive. Mostly I don’t really care. It’s likely negligible for my daily usage. They’re likely less aero but lighter. They’re slightly narrower than the factory wheels.

Reactions: WyoDude
These tires are the original all-seasons. No idea on the efficiency impact of the wheels, though I suspect it’s not a net positive. Mostly I don’t really care. It’s likely negligible for my daily usage. They’re likely less aero but lighter. They’re slightly narrower than the factory wheels.
That’s cool. Yeah I don’t really care about the efficiency loss either, just curious if you knew.