Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] Will base model M3 beat the Chevy Bolt's 238 mile EPA range?

Will base model M3 beat the Chevy Bolt's 238 mile EPA range?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are definitely two camps of tesla folks. One camp seems to be the "tesla as an electric car" camp and creates posts of tesla vs car x. I fall into camp 2: I'm a car guy and bought the tesla for its style speed and luxury. Comparing a tesla to a bolt, volt, prius, murai leaf or other converted ICE cars is ridiculous. May as well compare a Honda Fit to a Ferrari.

I've never been much of a car guy, but I do agree with you completely. I looked a bit at some hybrids, but they were all way too compromised for what you got. I ended up looking seriously at the Model S because no ICE or hybrid met the criteria I thought was fairly reasonable, but the Model S blew every item on my list out of the water. That's how vastly superior the Model S is to every ICE I looked at.

There isn't another EV out there that could compare either (except possibly other cars from Tesla).

Hi. I have copied the usernames of 289 people who voted yes and 132 who voted no. You can still vote in this poll but your vote won't count towards the Tesla Predictions Competition. If you voted in this poll and you don't want to participate in the competition, you don't need to do anything as this poll alone is not enough to have your name on the score chart.

I was thinking Bolt would win City EPA and lose highway EPA to Model 3 but wasn't sure about the combined number.

Since combined is apparently 220 for the base that *probably* means that highway is better than the Bolt's 217 miles but I'm not sure.

Of course, these numbers will get better when the AWD becomes available in another 6 months or so.

Motortrend is guesstimating in a new article just posted that the Model 3 city/highway/combined as 220/225/222. Tesla just said 220 which is presumably combined. Anyway, the trend points at the Model 3 highway EPA being at least 225-ish vs 217 in the Bolt.

So the results are in and 68.5% of people who voted were wrong. The base M3 will only have a range of 220 miles, which is less than the Chevy Bolt's 238. Having said that, the M3 will top out at and impressive 310 miles, but with a $9K range upgrade. We'll see what other options cost, but assuming Auto Pilot is a $5K - $8K option like the MS you're already up to $52K before wheels, pano roof and any interior upgrades, whenever they become available.

Screenshot_2017-07-29-05-05-21.png
tenor (1).gif

The Bolt isn't competition. The Bolt was designed and built to take on the likes of the Nissan Leaf, Toyota Prius, and the Buick Encore. Tesla designed and is building the Model 3 to take on the BMW 3/4 series, Audi A4, and the like.

From Motor Trend's First Drive Review of the Model 3:

What’s blanching, though, is the car’s ride and handling. If anybody was expecting a typical boring electric sedan here, nope. The ride is Alfa Giulia (maybe even Quadrifoglio)–firm, and quickly, I’m carving Stunt Road like a Sochi Olympics giant slalomer, micrometering my swipes at the apexes. I glance at Franz—this OK? “Go for it,” he nods. The Model 3 is so unexpected scalpel-like, I’m sputtering for adjectives.

and:

As we pack up, I’m thinking. Recently I’ve been spending some time in Motor Trend’s long-term Chevrolet Bolt EV and with every mile edging closer to calling it The Automobile 2.0. With its affordability, stress-free range, and delightful driving qualities, I’m thinking that maybe this is where the second era of the car commences. Pause that thought. With the Tesla Model 3’s performance, slinky style, fascinating creativity, and, critically, its Supercharger safety net, I think this is truly where it begins.

Read the rest:
Exclusive: Tesla Model 3 First Drive Review - Motor Trend

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kbM3
Oddly, both sides are right, and both sides are wrong.

I'm pretty happy with how Tesla planned it at this point.

It's initial base price is $49,000 + $1200 dest, so I'm assuming it gets AP2 to pay for the hardware?

Color and amenities add $6000 to that, so nice RWD EV with AP2 for $56,200, if California re-ups their rebate and the SCE rebate is still in force, and they allow referrals(?), $44,750 before state sales tax. Not bad.