Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential S Buyer with Newbie Question-- S vs Porsche 911

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely loved this post and it captures perfectly my struggle about which of these two worlds I want to live in. I am now giving very serious thought of keeping the Turbo and getting an S too. My wife will kill me but oh well........ :)

I want to thank all of those who responded to my initial post. I love the passion of the Tesla community. As to those who recommended a 3 over the S, I have to be honest that the design of the 3 just looks too pedestrian to me to stir any excitement. Love the 3's price, technology and performance but just can't get excited about it's aesthetics.

Thanks! I spent some time thinking about it and had to dig deep to get a bit more into what it meant to own both cars. I've spent considerable time with the Model S as well as the 911. I say that you would have a fantastic experience with the S as your daily driver and the 911 as the weekend fun car. You also wont likely feel the need to buy the Model S performance as it'll likely feel like a one trick pony to you. The 911 is a much more complete performance package.

I wouldn't count the Model 3 out entirely. You'll find a bit more of that drivers experience in the 3 that is missing from the S/X. It's also the darling car of Tesla right now so it gets the most attention in regards to fixing design and fitment issues.

We kept our NSX when we bought the S and I'm glad we did. My wife, on the other hand, has stopped driving the NSX because she's too used to not shifting, power steering, etc. :(
The big handling issues with the S IMHO is that it's huge, heavy and has mediocre tires. It's surprisingly well balanced and the low CG is great. If we weren't using it as a comfort-mobile I would change the tires for the summer, but it's still huge and heavy so the handling response can't be described as quick.
If you're more interested in instant acceleration OTOH, the Tesla is fantastic. There is no delay, hit the throttle and you're jumping. I hadn't realized how much of a delay there was in an ICE vehicle, even when up on the torque curve.