Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power trunk retrofit causing car awake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Malaromane, thank you so much for making me aware of this thread. I was only reading that other thread that wasn't of any help and has already gone dead. I unplugged that 2-wire connector like you all suggested and I've had no PCS_a022 errors since then (it's been about 24 hours). Also, my car is able to sleep for the first time in 3 months. Totally regret getting that power trunk mod from Tesla. 2019 Tesla Model 3 (firmware 2024.3.25).

I am going to be a little negative here. I have the same issue, Tesla did not explain this to me PRIOR to me paying them 800 to install this. And my install was super annoying because it was supposed to take 7 hours, they kept my car for 5 days and when they returned it the trim wasn't even correctly installed, they left a pin out sitting in the front seat. I love that I have the option to do a retrofit, but for the love of god when a car company offers something that breaks something as important as your climate control, don't you think they would at minimum stop selling it until they fix the issue? What if I didn't know this after they installed it (AND DIDN'T TELL ME), and I put my dogs in the car not knowing that dog mode would not work. Now there is a reliability to my car that scares me. I want to give them a break to fix this, but I am also ANGRY that someone didn't explain to me the risk (THAT THEY KNEW ABOUT prior to me paying them to do this to my car. This is the kind of stuff that gets class action lawsuits... Tesla is getting shady to me. The other thing is when I scheduled an appointment to come out and reattach the trim that they left unattached they tried to charge me, I complained they removed it, but he told me it was standard for them to auto charge you, and they had to manually take the charge back out... again shady business practices.

I'm considering installing a power trunk retrofit on my 2019 Model 3. Is it worth doing in 2024?

Also, which third-party brand would you recommend: Hansshow, EVoffer, or Satonic?

Thanks!
Don't do it... not until they figure this out. Knowing Tesla it will just be something that breaks all the AC and heat in the car and they will continue to sell and install it and not fix the issue. It is not worth having unreliable climate to have an auto trunk open and close. This is ridiculous.

Its tricky. I was posting all over here back in December about my trunk issues, and not only did it few responses, but people who had the Retrofit said they were fine. That really doesn't mean it's not happening widespread.

The 2023 Xmas update broke my trunk completely, would not open under any electrical buttons. Service Center had my car for 3 days and basically said, "Yeah we installed this 11/2023, but in 1/2024 you're the only person in central Ohio to have this done." Eventually they figured out how to "flash the controller" to get it to work.

Come 4/1/2024 and the next major update came down, my HVAC is completely bricked, the car won't sleep, and I got the red charge port light because the car was trying to charge constantly. Of course remote diagnostics is lame and they just say, "you need a new compressor, $1500." Took the car back in and they had it for two days. They figured out the Retrofit was the issue, after disconnecting from the armrest console, my HVAC works just fine.

They claim I am STILL the only person to have this done out of the Columbus, OH service center, going on 6 months. They do a ton of work as there are only 3 SCs in Ohio (by law).
You are not the only one, I just had mine done last week, and it broke my AC... Tesla DIDN'T tell me when they sold it to me, they didn't tell me when they kept my car for 5 days to install it, they didn't tell me when they gave the car back to me... I sent in a message about the climate control, they didn't tell me then, it wasn't until I complained because they didn't reinstall my trim correctly, that I had service come back out that the tech told me then it was an issue with the retrofit. So my question is WHY ARE THEY STILL SELLING THIS? Why don't they at least have a disclaimer that there is an issue with it, so you at least have the knowledge when you buy it. I am here in Columbus too and have the same issue. If I had put this in dog mode and had something bad happen, they would have had a psychopath on their hands...

• Informative
Reactions: Massive Attack
Absolute insanity. Imagine this happened out of warranty and then they revealed after thousands and thousands in repairs that it was the retrofit.
exactly.
I don’t know how far you’ll get, but ask them to refund your grand. They went on a fishing expedition at your expense!
100% I would totally get my money back! I am mad they are STILL selling it, knowing it is causing these issues and are not telling people who have it installed.

I am going to be a little negative here. I have the same issue, Tesla did not explain this to me PRIOR to me paying them 800 to install this. And my install was super annoying because it was supposed to take 7 hours, they kept my car for 5 days and when they returned it the trim wasn't even correctly installed, they left a pin out sitting in the front seat. I love that I have the option to do a retrofit, but for the love of god when a car company offers something that breaks something as important as your climate control, don't you think they would at minimum stop selling it until they fix the issue? What if I didn't know this after they installed it (AND DIDN'T TELL ME), and I put my dogs in the car not knowing that dog mode would not work. Now there is a reliability to my car that scares me. I want to give them a break to fix this, but I am also ANGRY that someone didn't explain to me the risk (THAT THEY KNEW ABOUT prior to me paying them to do this to my car. This is the kind of stuff that gets class action lawsuits... Tesla is getting shady to me. The other thing is when I scheduled an appointment to come out and reattach the trim that they left unattached they tried to charge me, I complained they removed it, but he told me it was standard for them to auto charge you, and they had to manually take the charge back out... again shady business practices.
dont really feel you are being negative .. you are stating your experience and your reactions which seem reasonable