Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning on getting a M3 this year and trying to wrap my head around charging, my main question right now is this. Since I have no garage I will have to have some sort of outlet outside to plug in to, ( I dont know if I want to use the WC yet) is the UMC waterproof living in Seattle we do get rain and is the WC waterproof or able to be used outside as well.

Outside I would definitely recommend the wall charger. Using the UMC in a wet environment is not recommended by Tesla in their manual though many do use it that way.

Warning: Protect the Mobile Connector from moisture, water and foreign objects at all times. If any exist or appear to have corroded or damaged the Mobile Connector, do not use the Mobile Connector.

Warning: If rain falls during charging, do not allow rain water to run along the length of charge cable, causing the electrical outlet or charging port to become wet.

Warning: Do not plug the Mobile Connector into an electrical outlet that is submerged in water or covered in snow. If, in this situation, the Mobile Connector is already plugged in and needs to be unplugged, turn off the breaker before unplugging the Mobile Connector.

I concur with @jmaddr; when charging outdoors, it's better to use a hard-wired EVSE with appropriate weatherproofing. There are two weatherproofing ratings that I often see on EVSEs: NEMA 3R and NEMA 4, with 4 being the better one. (See this page, among others, for detailed descriptions of what these ratings mean. Note that these are unrelated to the NEMA numbering for outlet types, like 14-50.) Tesla's Wall Connector manual explicitly states that the device has a 3R rating. Some others, like most or all Clipper Creek and EnelX (JuiceBox) devices, have NEMA 4 ratings; however, I don't know how the fact that you'd have to use Tesla's J1772-to-Tesla adapter with those would impact weather resistance on the plug end. Some EVSEs have no weather-resistance rating; they're intended to be used only inside. Thus, if you're considering a third-party device, be sure to research this detail. Also, most manufacturers seem to recommend hard-wiring EVSEs that are to be mounted outdoors, rather than buying a model with a plug and installing a 240v outlet outside.

FWIW, I park outside -- I have a driveway but no garage. I bought a Clipper Creek HCS-40 in 2016, for use with a Chevy Volt. When I bought my Model 3 in 2019, I decided to keep using the Clipper Creek EVSE, just with an adapter semi-permanently attached to it. This has worked fine for me outside in Rhode Island, with both the Volt and the Model 3. That said, I do prefer to unplug the car before major rain or snow, just to be extra-cautious. (It also helps to not have to shovel snow from around the charge cord.) That said, if I were buying a new EVSE for use with my Model 3, I'd probably get a Tesla Wall Connector. Tesla's prices are competitive, and not having to use an adapter would be a small advantage.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: jmaddr and Acps110
I just purchased an electric Mini to join my Tesla Y. I have a 240V outlet in my garage that attaches to my Tesla. The Mini, however, only comes with a regular plug for a regular outlet, not the 240V outlet. Any suggestions how I can charge the Mini off my 240V outlet? Or do I have to go out and purchase a new Level 2 charger just for the Mini? Thanks,

There are J1772 adapters that work the with wall connector, but I'm not sure if they work with the mobile connector. If possible, it's probably best to pull in a separate 6-20 circuit for the Mini and get a proper j1772 evse.