Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removable / swappable pack options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has there been any update on whether Tesla will rent out 300mi packs for the occasional long trip?

Nigel has an update.

At the Beta event I spoke with George Blankenship and JB Straubel about the concept of selling cars and leasing batteries so that you could be on a road trip and simply swap out batteries to extend your range. Although all agreed it was an interesting idea for some future business model, they made it pretty clear that there was nothing like this in the works. Tesla's current business model is that you or a leasing company owns the car; they're making and selling them.

Yeah, I heard further confirmations that they don't see the business case to support pack swap right now.

(Although there was the rumor that they might be doing pack swap at the factory tour event, but switching drivers all day long to give constant test rides is an extreme example.)

Even if quick swap capability isn't done routinely for long trips, it will still be nice to know that they can do it at service centers quickly if they ever have to repair or replace your pack for service reasons.

Last edited:
How easy is it to steal?

Wow, what a question... Hmmm... Possibly $20K+ worth of batteries there. I suppose some kind of lock could be in order.
A workmate had a catalytic converter stolen off the bottom of his truck while it was parked in our very public parking lot.
They used some sort of portable sawzall to cut right through the exhaust pipe...

Wow, what a question... Hmmm... Possibly $20K+ worth of batteries there. I suppose some kind of lock could be in order.
Try $40K+ for the 300 mile battery. Well anyhow you'd expect there to be an alarm with notifications for your mobile device and some sort of system status report long before anyone got that far. Tilt sensors and what not...

Do remember: This is not a 20 pound cat, but a +1000 pound battery bolted to the bottom of your car with 10+ bolts. I don't think it's feasible to take down the battery unless you're in a work shop with something to support the battery while you unbolt it. Everything can be stolen, but I think it will probably be "easier" to steal the entire car than to steal the battery.

Also, I think the front end of the battery is too thick to clear from under the car unless you at least lift the front end of the car as well.

Last edited:
And the only place to use a Model S battery pack is in a Model S. Unless you're stealing it to convert to scrap. At which point you'd do better to steal the whole car or move on to something that's a little easier to steal.

By the way, is there anything about an electric car that makes it harder to steal the whole car? With nothing mechanical (like a key) on the car I would think it would be harder. But maybe it's easy to spoof the electronic key?

The only thing that makes an EV easier to steal than an ICE is that it could drive away silently...

It is trivial to make an electronic key much stronger than a physical key, that is not a weak point.
The way to break an electronic key is to steal tools from a service department and then hack into the IT system that controls them - if those tools are poorly designed and vulnerable then they could override the electronic key. All of that is much much harder than overriding a physical lock.

It would be so much easier to steal the whole car than to steal the battery that I doubt it would ever happen.
The only scenario that would make sense is one where the owner does not discover the missing battery for a long time because they dont drive the car - but to a casual inspection the car is still there. But even still you need a lift, and tools, and a dolly of some kind, and a large truck...

I just saw this story of a 5,300 pound bell that was recently stolen, apparently to be scrapped...
2.5-Ton Bell Snatched from SF Church | NBC Bay Area

You cannot compare this. The 2.5t bell was in the parking lot. I have clients with cranes on their trucks that could park 20ft away and just lift it on to their truck in under a minute. With Model S you have to get under the car and take care of 26 bolts (thank you vfx) support the battery so it doesn't drop while it's still bolted with one bolt and damages the battery and than lift the car high enough to get the battery and the dolly from under the car... I know better than to say it cannot be done, but I am pretty sure it would take a NASCAR pit crew and some serious professional material to get in done in just minutes.

Then watch out they don't come and pick up your car and drive away with it. !

Ouch, new problem. But wait:

20040807_001_autoslot1.jpg

I could imagine the Tesla App sending a message if the car is moved without the key being near.