Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I don't think I actually did that on any of the ones I tore down... lol. The first one was excusable, though, since I had no idea there was a fuse there. :D

Tesla 85kWh Battery Pack Tear Down (Time Lapse) - YouTube

There is no excuse, your carelessness is the textbook reason why Tesla has a parts ban. You are 100% the problem and are ruining it for the community. If you got hurt or killed it would be in the news within seconds "Tesla kills man" do you even know what kind of widespread harm that would cause??

Are you even HAZMAT certified bro?

Let me drop some knowledge on you as to how to properly remove a battery top cover...

1) Remove all top cover screws
2) Remove fuse
3) Pry up front hump with something (safety first!)
5) Attach 1 ton engine crane and hook to where the battery fuse hole was
5) Pump like crazy (but not too crazy)
6) Become frustrated
7) Cut pack top cover in half
6) Salt lightly and serve with coolant and disintegrated battery cells
5) Create sarcastic post on forum

oQGR4Go.jpg

1shA7Nj.jpg

E5ByGUn.jpg

X0i0ZT3.jpg

mlov0ky.jpg

Reactions: MDK
LOL. Just catching up on the last few pages has had me almost rolling on the floor. Love the sarcasm!

But don't forget, you're ruining it for all of us. We were all much better off having absolutely no clue what is inside our vehicles and how they SHOULD NOT be disassembled.

This thread is the best! By keeping everything top secret, Tesla has inspired everybody and their dog to start ripping cars and packs apart. This was pretty easy to forecast, as history always repeats itself.

There is no excuse, your carelessness is the textbook reason why Tesla has a parts ban. You are 100% the problem and are ruining it for the community. If you got hurt or killed it would be in the news within seconds "Tesla kills man" do you even know what kind of widespread harm that would cause??

Let me drop some knowledge on you as to how to properly remove a battery top cover...

Well, I'm glad my thoughts were at least heard... There really isn't a whole lot I can do to get you to take them seriously though :/...

Although I did think the sarcasm was pretty funny :).

LOL. :)

Well hey, that's one way to do it. hehe.

Just following up on my post earlier re: massive weight loss in the Model S. Some questioned my statement and here's some evidence, as noted in Car and Driver's review of the 70D:

2015 Tesla Model S 70D Instrumented Test Car and Driver

Compared with the Signature Performance (P85) rear-driver we tested more than two years ago, the new 70D is 177 pounds lighter and delivers slightly poorer accelerating, braking, and cornering performance. That said, it consumed less energy, achieved a higher top speed, and is a bit quieter during acceleration and cruising. A major plus is the extra confidence in adverse weather conditions provided by the 70D’s all-wheel drive.

Note that there were some equipment differences between their signature MS and the 70D, such as 21" wheels v. 19" wheels, Pano/non-Pano, but the real killer is that the 70D has TWO motors (and associated hardware) yet ends up weighing a full 177 pounds less than a Signature P85.

That is a monumental achievement by any measure. Tesla is working very, very hard at pulling mass out of our cars; we should all be thankful!

Just following up on my post earlier re: massive weight loss in the Model S. Some questioned my statement and here's some evidence, as noted in Car and Driver's review of the 70D:

2015 Tesla Model S 70D Instrumented Test Car and Driver

Compared with the Signature Performance (P85) rear-driver we tested more than two years ago, the new 70D is 177 pounds lighter and delivers slightly poorer accelerating, braking, and cornering performance. That said, it consumed less energy, achieved a higher top speed, and is a bit quieter during acceleration and cruising. A major plus is the extra confidence in adverse weather conditions provided by the 70D’s all-wheel drive.

Note that there were some equipment differences between their signature MS and the 70D, such as 21" wheels v. 19" wheels, Pano/non-Pano, but the real killer is that the 70D has TWO motors (and associated hardware) yet ends up weighing a full 177 pounds less than a Signature P85.

That is a monumental achievement by any measure. Tesla is working very, very hard at pulling mass out of our cars; we should all be thankful!

The 70D has two less battery modules than the 85/90... that's ~110 lbs right there.

Do you know how much of the remaining 67lbs is attributed to the heavier motor of the P85 vs. dual motors of the 70D? (thus how much of it is actual weight reduction over the years)

I don't know exactly, no... but it's definitely possible that the large rear motor/gearbox could quite possibly be twice as heavy as the small motor/gearbox.